Fallen Identity

Ch. 29

I gasped. My demon side was taking over? Is that was this meant? Does this mean I'm more evil than good? Questions captivated every thought that entered my brain, and soon, all I was left with was a major headache. I found some tylenol in a small medicine cabinet that was hidden behind the mirror, and swallowed a couple pills.

I fell asleep, wrapping myself in a tight ball, not even bothering to wrap the covers around me.

Waking up, I felt groggy and a little dizzy. The room kept moving back and forth between my eyes. My eyes. Maybe I was dreaming about the difference in my good eye last night or just hallucinating. It seemed my mind loved to play tricks on me a lot of the time.
You aren't hallucinating.

Her. Deumos. The demon lurking just inside me has revealed herself again. Just one more thing to make me feel horrible.

What do you want now?

Nothing in particular.. just to take over your weak form and watch you get drained away, she replied bluntly.

At least you know what you want in life.

I heard her smirk inside my mind, which sorta creeped my out. Okay, it really creeped me out.

I see you have achieved a sense of humor. Well I'm gonna go. Talking to you is boring, she said like we were old friends about to end a call. How can talking to me be boring? What else does she do besides plan my very death? Unless there is some other demon or monster living inside me or however Deumos exists. Now that would be horrible. I got a small shiver just thinking about it.

And once again, all these questions rushed inside my mind. Why Deumos appear only to tell me that I'm boring and then leave? I've probably mentioned this before, but absolutely nothing makes sense anymore...

A knock came from the door, clearing my mind just a little bit of the insanity that seemed to take over.

"Come in," I called, mostly because I was too lazy to get up and answer the door myself. It was probably just Zach anyway.

Sure enough, it was him and he entered my room with a worry plastered on his face. Sometimes, I forget that he used to seem to unemotional to me when I first met him.

"Are they not back yet?" I asked him, already knowing the answer. I shook his head no and came to sit next to me on the bed.

"Do you have any idea where they could be?" Again, he only shook his head no.

"Maybe we should go out looking for them?" I suggested. He finally looked up at me and his eyes widened at the sight of me. I temporarily had forgotten about the change in my eye colors and so shielded them away from him.

"What happened?" he asked quietly, those being the first words he's said all night.

"I don't know. I guess it means I'm more evil than good," I muttered, tiny tears forming at my eyes.

"It could be one of those cases where something has to get worse before it gets better," he said.

"You think so?"

"You're not evil."

"Sometimes I think I am."

"Let's go look for the others," he said, changing the subject. Now it was my turn to just nod my head and then we went to get ready.

Zach stuffed a bunch of complicated looking weapons into a bag and then handed me a small knife thing and said, "Just in case."

We headed out of the safe zone when I asked, "Where do we start looking?"

"Do you remember where Jezebeth's hideout was?" I nodded. "That's where were going to look first."

I trailed behind Zach as we weaved our way in and out of the streets of Chicago before we came across a confrontation. Raz, Cameal, Elijah, Gabriel, Nathaniel, and Micah stood before Jezebeth, Kage, Lennox, and Jackal.

"Ah, so she has finally returned," Jezebeth sneered. So I was right, she did know all along that I was a girl pretending to be a boy.

Everyone turned to look at me and Zach. I could see on all their faces that they were putting the pieces together without me having to tell them. Cameal must've figured it out first because he took a tiny step forward.

"Carter?" he asked, and I knew which Carter he meant.

"Yeah," I said, because I didn't know what else to say. Everyone else knew then the truth. That I was lieing to them the whole time.

"A part of me always knew that there was something weird about you," Raz said, "Never thought you were really a girl though."

"So the faggot's a girl?" Kage's sinister words came and for the first time, I saw his true form unveiled. His form was like a twisted form of a court Jester back in Medieval ages. He had a wicked smile that showed a slight bit of insanity he masked well the first and last time I saw him. Claws made of some kind of steel extended from his fingertips and spikey balls hung on the tips of his hat. Kage, I couldn't recall his demon name, the Demon of Hilarity. How fitting.

"Aww, did Dimoni not tell you who this fascinating little girl is?" Jezebeth mocked Kage with fake sympathy, "You must not be in his graces anymore."

"Shut up Jezebeth. Not like you're in his graces either. You're just his slut for the century," Kage's words filled with venom and for a second, Jezebeth looked hurt and then she narrowed her eyes on him.

"Maybe the real reason you can't accomplish anything is because you can't focus on the task at hand and instead, make up immature things to say to the ones on your side."

For some reason, this set him off and he looked back at us, mainly me and took a step forward before speaking. "We want the girl. If she chooses not to surrender, then there will be a massacre on our hands tonight."

Jezebeth's malicious smile faded into the shadows as she said in a soft whisper, "You have 10 minutes to make your decision."