Fallen Identity

Ch. 36

For some reason, no one had bothered me for days after that horrible first night here. I isolated myself to my room, only opening the door when food was brought. When someone other than a mindless servant knocked on the door though, that's when the thought occured to me that I should've been devising an escape plan all this time.

Opening the door, I was met with the familiar stranger; who, at this moment, looked almost like my old friend. No smirk or malicious glint in his eyes; just pure honesty, but I knew to be cautious. No matter what.

"Carter," he breathed out my name in a sigh of relief, like he thought I would shun him forever, which I was all prepared to do. "Can I come in? I have to tell you something."

I stepped back, holding the door open for him. He sounded desperate, like he had this huge secret he was about to let off his chest. I didn't know how accurate that thought was until after our conversation.

He closed the door behind him, after looking to see if anyone eavesdroppers were nearby, then turned around and gave me his heart-wrenching smile. After I didn't smile back, his face dropped immensely; hurt.

He paced around for a couple minutes, to gather his thoughts on where to start and when he did start, I wasn't prepared for the news. "Ok, well I guess the best place to start is that I'm not really his son."

I looked up at him, shocked. But, Dimoni called him his son, and Alex acted as if he was his son. No possibilities added up correctly in my head.

"Wha-" I coughed after not using my voice for a while. "What do you mean?"

"I did this for you."

"Did? Did what for me?"

"After you moved away, Lord Dimoni approached me with a proposition. If I allowed him to adopt me as his son, he would find a way for me to see you again, and most importantly, to save you."

I allowed this to sink in for a moment. It seems when I start to get answers, I end up with more questions instead. Then why did Alex seem surprised when he saw me that first night, and why did Dimoni ask how we were aquainted? After minutes of thinking, the only question I could ask was, "But why?"

"Why? Because I care about you. A lot. You're my best friend and when I found out what you were and what was being planned for you, I had to do something, anything, to be able to protect you."

"Protect me from what?"

"Lord Dimoni told me that something was forming. Something bad. And that you're the cause of it," he pleaded me with his eyes, willing me to understand what he was saying.

"How do I cause it?"

He only looked at me for a while, with a sad expression that made my heart hurt.

"You die."

________________________

- End of Book One -
♠ ♠ ♠
Yepp. I shall post the first chapter of the second book soon =]