‹ Prequel: Hearts Intact

Wrists Intact

Joke Me Something Awful

“You…don’t…know who…I am?” The guy asked slowly. I didn’t get a chance to answer because a guy with short black hair came into the room. He looked from the other guy to me then back to the other guy.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, worry apparent in his voice. Very slowly the brown-haired guy turned his gaze away from me to look at the new guy.

“She can’t remember me. She doesn’t know who Izzye is.” He said slowly. The new guy stared at him for a second and then turned to me. His gaze was so intense that I cringed and backed up as far as I could, sitting up as I did. Who the heck were these guys? And who was this Izzye person they kept mentioning?

“I’m Pete and this is Ryan. You’re Izzye.” The new guy said, as if he could read my mind. Startled, I just stared at him. I’m Izzye? I doubt that. If I was this Izzye person wouldn’t you think that I’d recognize the name?

“How did this happen?” Ryan asked, his voice low. Pete shrugged, not taking his gaze away from me.

“It must have been too much, the bite, and then the venom.” He said slowly. What the hell were they talking about? What venom?

“Vampire venom.” Pete said. I jumped and stared up at him, not sure which one freaked me out more, the fact that he just said vampire or the fact that he seemed to be able to read my mind.

“Why’d you add that?” Ryan asked, looking confused. Pete looked just as confused as he answered.

“She asked!” He said. I felt chills go up my spine.

“No she didn’t, she didn’t say anything.” Ryan said. Pete started to say something and then he stopped. I wondered if he was crazy.

“I can hear her thoughts!” He said suddenly. That confirmed it, he was definitely crazy.

“What?” Ryan asked in disbelief. The look on Pete’s face was a mixture of horror and happiness.

“I can hear her thoughts, just like with everyone else!” He said. Wait, he was saying that he can always hear people’s thoughts? And there were such things as vampires? Okay, I was dead, that proved it.

“You’re not dead.” Pete said, his voice dropping down to just above a whisper. I jumped again and stared at him for only a second before dropping my gaze to my feet. What was going on? Who were-wait, stop thinking, he can hear your thoughts, think of, think of, shit I can’t think of anything to think of! Pete smiled at me but once he turned back to Ryan the smile quickly faded.

“What does that mean?” Ryan asked. He sounded scared, why, I do not know.

“I’m not sure.” Pete said slowly. There was a silence as both of them thought. I stared intently the wall, forcing myself to think about its blah white colour.

“What are we going to do?” Ryan asked finally. Pete shrugged. Leave me alone because I’m not this Izzye person, I thought to myself, forgetting about Pete.

“If you’re not Izzye than what’s your name?” Pete asked. I started to answer him and then I stopped. What was my name? Why couldn’t I remember? What the hell was going on?

“Exactly. We’ll explain everything.” Pete said with a small smile. I felt like hitting him. Instead, I sat patiently while Pete and Ryan told me this story about how I was some girl in some random band and I was being hunted by vampires who wanted to turn me into one of them and I had a twin who was a vampire and now we were all hiding out. I’m not quite sure who we are but I’m absolutely positive the story is a lie. I mean, come one! Vampires? Please, I wasn’t born yesterday!

“And you expect me to believe that?” I said once they finished their story. They just stared at me.

“I don’t know why you guys want me, but you should’ve come up with a more believable story than that!” I said, struggling to my feet. I wasn’t sure what I was doing but it seemed like a good idea so far.

“What are you doing?” Ryan said. Before I knew what happened I was in his lap, his arms wrapped tightly around me.

“Let me go!” I cried, the panic starting to rise in me. Ryan shook his head, instead tightening his arms around me.

“Let go!” I said, struggling to get away. It was useless though, Ryan was a lot stronger than me. And he was freezing too. I was shivering just from being near him.
“I never thought we’d have to explain this to you again, but both Ryan and I are vampires.” Pete said. I just stared at him. Was he joking?

“No joke, we’re stronger than normal humans and we have powers.” Pete said. What the hell did he mean by powers?

“I can read thoughts, and Ryan can control emotions. Our friends, Spencer and Brendon are also vampires. You’ll, err, re-meet them later.” Pete said, looking uncomfortable.

Pete’s POV

What if they’re telling the truth? No, they have to be lying; I mean, come on, vampires? But he can hear my thoughts…Damnit!!! Stop thinking! Floor, the floor is…ugly actually, that’s a horrible shade of blue… Izzye’s thoughts were making my head hurt but I couldn’t bring myself to stop listening. I wanted to be listening just in case she suddenly remembered a name or a face. I just couldn’t believe that she lost her memory. I’ve heard of minds doing that, blocking out painful experiences, but blocking out everything? That was new.

But they could be telling the truth, I mean, I can’t remember my name or anything and they seem pretty sure that I’m this Izzye person. Which is a horrible name, honestly, I think I’ll kill myself if that really is my name. My mother must have been wasted when she named me. But then at the same time, what if they were like my enemies or something, and they just want me to think that I’m this Izzye person? Crap, think of the carpet, carpet carpet carpet. If this situation hadn’t been so serious than I would’ve laughed.

After Skylar bit her everyone on our side just snapped. Several of the Immortals were killed and Ryan and I got pretty injured, but luckily none of us were killed. Skylar and the female ended up running, but that left us with an infected Izzye. To save her, Ryan somehow sucked the venom out of her bloodstream. I was amazed, we’re like sharks, even just the smell of blood sends us into a feeding frenzy, and yet he tasted it and managed to stop himself from drinking all of her blood. And now she couldn’t remember him at all.

He’s cold, so very cold, like he’s dead, like he’s, oh I don’t know. What if I never remember anything? Or what if I do and what I remember is horrible? Oh God I should just stop thinking. Think of something happy! What am I kidding myself, nothing is happy! I almost said something to Izzye but I already knew from earlier that my mind reading freaks her out so I was silent.

“She’s awake, she’s awake!” Devin and Joe burst and the room and immediately started yelling. Izzye jumped and tried even harder to get away from Ryan, who refused to loosen his hold on her.

“Guys stop, stop!” I said, putting my hands in the air. Both Devin and Joe stared at me, looking confused.

“She can’t remember anything.” I said softly. Immediately Joe just turned to stare at Izzye but Devin didn’t want to believe me.

“Define anything.” He said. Please don’t let it mean anything and everything, please don’t! He begged in his head.

“I mean anything and everything.” I said. Devin cursed and looked at Izzye, who was looking terrified.

Ryan’s POV

It was killing me that Izzye couldn’t remember who I was or who she was. She was everything to me and now she was terrified of me. I knew she’d deny it if I said that, but I could feel her fear. She was scared that we would do something to her. You might not believe me, but there are different types of fear, a different one for different things. And she definitely thought that we were going to hurt her.

I know that she doesn’t like being so close to me, but I was afraid to let her go. I’d almost lost her so many times and now, though she was here, it wasn’t really her. She didn’t believe that she was Izzye and she didn’t believe that Pete and I were vampires. And to prove that we are vampires we’d have to scare her, something which probably wouldn’t be that smart right now.