Blue Moon

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Silver Suhail stood in a huge room with a man in a suite standing beside him. The man had a huge build. “Excuse me Sir, I’ll take my leave.” The man said to yet another man that sat down on a huge chair right in front of them. “Please do.” The man on the chair replied. The man in the suite bowed to the two gentlemen and then he took his leave.

“You look good. Please do take a seat. How’s the family doing? I hear that you’re planning to put up another hotel? As rich as always is see.”

“I’m very sorry, but I am not here to have a wonderful conversation between old friends. I am here on matters for marriage.”

“Who’s marriage?”

“Your son and my daughter.”

“So you found out? I am sorry to disappoint you, but as far as I am concerned he isn’t family anymore. He may be my biological son, but in my heart he never was my son. I gave him everything, but he left. You have nothing to discuss with me.” The man said with a monotone voice. He sounded cold and heartless, as if he wasn’t even talking about a living creature.

“Is that so? Then what are the reasons for you letting him work under your company?”

The man chuckled at the thought. “That?! I am a business man and so are you. I presume that you understand it when I say, It is purely business. I need capable people on the job and he happens to be one of those people. If he wasn’t capable he wouldn’t be working under me. I wouldn’t show mercy upon trash, but as of now, he has use.” The man confidently replied in a smug manner.

(What’s with this person? Claude is still his son no matter what.) “Is that so? Should I take it that you do not oppose of their marriage? – “ Silver paused to wait for the man’s reply, but he did not utter a word. “Fine, then it’ll be easier to settle matters then. If you would like, I could send you an invitation. I’ll go then.”

Silver held the knob and opened the door. He closed it with a slight bang. The man on the chair sat still as he faced the huge glass window that occupied one side of the room walls. The glass was at the opposite side of the door. Before Silver had closed the door, he remembered, the man never looked at him even once.

Annie woke up later than usual, much, much later. She had assumed that she wouldn’t be able to see Claude, but he was there lying down beside her with eyes wide open. “How come you’re still here?” She asked. “Well, it’s a holiday today. No work. It only happens often though. Even if there’s a holiday, sometimes we have unfinished work and can’t take the holiday or we’re not included in the holiday.” Claude said without even looking at Annie in the eyes. His vision was concentrated on the chandelier perched above the bed.

Annie stared at the wall in front of her as she said; “Do you want to go anywhere?” Claude and Annie’s eyes met. Annie grinned and Claude had that emotionless face. Seeing her grin mad him chuckle just a little.

“You’re right. Let’s go to the park. Shall we?” He said as he got up from bed. “Get ready then”. (It’s no use thinking about it now. I’ll only get Annie worried this way. Besides, that was the past. I have Annie now.)

Annie held Claude’s arm tightly as they walked together. She had a white dress on that had a little blue on it. Claude on the other had, wore a red shirt and blue jeans. As usual people were staring at them, but it didn’t matter as much anymore. They’ve been through a lot and right now they know how worthless it is to worry.

“Hey!” A loud voice that seemed like it called out to them was heard. “Hey! Claude! Annie!” A man that was holding a long brown folder came running to them. It was Bryon.

[Authors note: For those who forgot who Bryon is, see chapter 8 for reference.]

When Bryon ceased running, he was panting, trying to catch his breath. “I haven’t seen you guys for so long.” Bryon paused when he noticed Annie’s hand was tightly holding Claude’s arm. He inched closer towards Claude and with a grin he said; “Hehehe! On a date?! You finally did something right.” He then snickered. Claude pushed him away out of embarrassment. His face was beet red and with this, Bryon wanted to tease him all the more.

Annie just stared at the two with a smile on her face, but at that moment a thought came to mind. “Bryon, did you print the article already?” asked Annie with a blank expression. After hearing Annie say that, Claude got thinking (Oh yeah, there was that article. How come I never saw it or never heard of it. It should have been published long ago.)

Bryon scratched the back of his head as he answered with hesitation. “Well, to tell you the truth, when I came back to my house, someone had stolen the negatives and the developed pictures were torn to pieces. I saw the pieces lying down the floor. The pictures that I had for back-up got deleted. I had no picture.” He then sighed.

“Is that so? Who would do that? –“ Claude paused to think. “How come you didn’t come to us to get another picture?” asked Claude.

“You’re insane right? I used pictures to threaten you. I have none of those anymore. No way to force you guys. Besides, even if I could do what I did last time, you know, taking pictures without your permission, it wouldn’t feel right. When I talked to Annie one on one, I thought – it was unfair to do that to her. She did nothing wrong. She is a really nice girl, so ever since that time, I really had no intention of exposing her anymore.” He gave a dejected smile that was for Annie. This took the attention of Annie. The gaze that she had was for Bryon and not for Claude. The thought pissed Claude.

“You know what, you’re smarter than I give you credit. − ” Claude said with a friendly voice. “Why, thank you.” Bryon replied with an obviously flattered expression. Claude’s face and voice sounded menacing as he said; “− But you know what? You’re still STUPID. When a person you know is on a date. NEVER disturb him. Take about a Kill Joy.” It seemed as though he was prepared to kill Bryon.

(What’s up with him? Oh! I know − I get it now.) Bryon began to laugh like a mad man and then he grinned at Claude. “You’re jealous because you KNOW that Annie likes ME. You hate me for turning her attention to me. Hehehehe!! Talk about a green eyed monster. I knew you were envious of me, but I didn’t know that you’d envy me in EVERYTHING.”

Claude got even more pissed as he herd what Bryon said. Though there where lies in it, it was true that Claude was jealous at Bryon because of Annie. He chased Bryon with the attempt to hit him on the head, just to get a little of his embarrassment to disappear. They ran around the place in circles. The women around the place began to laugh as they saw the two playing like little children. Both amazingly handsome men. The women that passed by halted to see them. They were giggling at the sight and some where even taking pictures.

A police man came and called out to them. “Please stop this.” He said. “You are grown men; please do not disturb the others.”

Claude and Bryon lowered their heads as they were told off by the guard. (I can’t believe this is happening to me. How humiliating.) Claude thought, he then took a peek at Bryon. Bryon felt his stare and gave Claude a childish grin.

Annie came close to talk to the police. “I am very sorry for the disturbance.” She said with a gentle voice. “It’s okay miss. They didn’t do any harm. Just please keep an eye on them. They seem to be disturbing some of the people here. If you would excuse me miss, I will take my leave then.” The man said as he slightly tipped his hat.

Annie begrudgingly stepped closer towards Claude and Bryon. The two were tackling each other. Pulling the others ear, hair, and they were even punching each other. “You guys are as childish as ever!” The two stopped and fell silent. “When will you learn?” The two then sat down the ground next to each other. “You guys are grown man. You should know better.” Annie looked really pissed at that moment. Her eyes grew softer. Her lips that were closed and frowning slowly moved up to a smile. She patted their heads. “You guys never change.” Her teeth where showing as she began to laugh in a feminine manner. Claude and Bryon then stared at each other. Annie, with a smile as bright as the sun, reached out her hand to the two. Both Bryon and Claude took her hand. They stood up.

Bryon looked at the watch at his right arm. “I’m sorry. I’ll go now. I still have someone to meet up with.” He then hurriedly ran. He disappeared in the large crowd that he passed through.

Claude looked straight at the direction the Bryon ran to. The shadow of his hair covered his eyes, and his lips were slightly parted. With one eye covered by his hair, Claude turned to Annie, he smiled and said; “Let’s go!” He reached out his hand. Annie grew shocked, as she took his hand by impulse. Claude pulled her to the park as he laughed. Annie, seeing his back, begins to laugh at the sight. It almost seems like – two teenage lovers’ first date.

They took a walk in the park, bought ice cream from a strolling ice cream cart, and did many other things.

The two of them sat down a bench next to each other, holding each others’ hand. Annie turned towards Claude and at the same time Claude was staring at the children playing before him. He had a huge smile on his face. Annie herself couldn’t help but give a tad bit awkward smile.

Normally, dates would end with the guy sending the girl home and they would have a goodbye kiss before the guy would leave. This case is special though, they both live together.

“Distance makes the heart grow fonder.” This is a line that a lot of people have heard. This is the reason some people give on why they cannot live together. When they’re apart they have the yearning for each other, but when they spend too much time together, they start to feel suffocated. Being a newlywed couple is nice, but after a while you learn how hard it is to live with your partner.

They slept together like usual. Claudes arms, wrapped around Annie. Annie couldn’t sleep much that night as she stared at the sleeping face of Claude. How different he looked from the first time she saw him this way. He looked stronger, like a protector. It’s frightening, since when did Annie look at Claude so differently. He seemed nothing like the man she once knew.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure what to say....