One of the Boys...Right?

Chapter 15

-No POV-

As police officers cuffed Chase, Bam slid to a stop in front of the art room door and tried to open it. It wouldn’t budge. He backed up and slammed his weight against the door. It flew open and desks were scattered across the floor. A table was propped on its side in front of a teacher’s desk. Bam approached it quietly, hearing the muffled cries coming from it.

“JJ? Are you under the desk?” he asked softly. When he didn’t get a response, he moved the table aside. JJ was staring up at him, tears streaming from her eyes. He had never seen her like this before. To him, she was always determined and strong. Now, he thought, she looked terrified and vulnerable.

“Are you okay?” he knelt down next to her.

“W-where’s Ch-Chase?” she stuttered through her tears.

“Cuffed and being taken away.” Bam put his hand on hers. She didn’t respond.

“Come on, you need to get out of here.” he said. She shook her head.

“I-I don’t know if I c-can.” she cried.

“Alright.” he gently pulled her out from under the desk, picked her up bridal style, and started walking.

“You’re fine now. Nobody’s going to hurt you. You’re safe.” he whispered to her, feeling encouraged when he felt her nod weakly against his chest, but then feeling panicky when her head dropped back.

-In the hospital-
*Jess*

My eyes fluttered open and I groaned with discomfort. I looked up and found myself staring into Bam’s crystal blue eyes.

“Hey, Sleeping Beauty.” he whispered.

“What happened?” I looked down to see that I was still in my clothes, but I also saw that I had needles in my arm.

“You passed out after I started walking you down the hall.” he whispered more.

“What time is it? And where is everyone? And why am I in a hospital bed?” I asked.

“It’s 5:30, Dico, Novak, Dunn, Kelsey, my parents, and your aunt are all in the cafeteria. You’re in a bed because, according to the doctor, you went into emotional shock. He said everything that happened today must’ve triggered something from your past.” he had a firm grip on my hand. I looked toward the windows, out at the black clouds.

“JJ? What happened? What was in your past that you were reminded of?” his voice was so soft and caring that I had to look back and see if Bam was still there.

“I-I need to wait until everyone’s here. I can’t tell it over and over.” I shook my head rapidly and tears slipped down my cheeks.

“That’s alright. Just...try to relax.” he put his head down by mine and wiped the tears away. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“Better?” he asked. I nodded.

“She’s awake!” Dunn called down the hallway. My friends came rushing into the room, followed by my aunt and Bam’s parents.

“Aunt Kelly, April, Phil. If you don’t mind, I want to talk to my friends for a few minutes.” I said when I had gotten everyone’s attention.

“Honey, you don’t-“ Aunt Kelly started to say.

“Yes. I do.” I replied. Our eyes met and we had a silent conversation that finally ended when she looked away. April, Phil, and her left the room and closed the door.

“Before I begin, I have to ask you all a few things. One, please don’t interrupt me. Even if you have a question that you’re dying to know the answer to. Because if I stop, I’ll never be able to finish what I have to say. Two, even if I burst into tears halfway through, I need to go on. Please don’t tell me that I don’t need to continue, because I do. I need you all to know the truth. And three,” I paused and looked into the faces of my friends. “Please don’t be mad at me when I’m finished. I know some of you won’t like what you hear.” I finished. They all nodded in understanding.

I began to tell the story of my past as I looked up at the ceiling. I couldn’t look into the faces of the friends who sat around my bed; people who might not be my friends when this was over.