But Your Heart Pumps and Pounds After Death.

If We Make it to the End

Frank's POV
"I'm about to put Gerard under," the doctor said. "Would you like to say anything beforehand?"
I bit my lip. I bit it a little too hard, and I began to taste blood in my mouth.
"What should I say?" I said a little defensivly. "Should I be saying sorry or should I be saying goodbye?"
Mikey gave me a hard punch on my shoulder.
"Stop being such an ass, this isn't about you."
"He might die, it definitely has something to do with me," I said, my voice getting louder as I tried to match Mikey's height. Bob split us up.
"Stop it, you guys. Do you have something to say to Gee or not?"
I stared straight into Mikeys stormy eyes and nodded.
"Just as long as he doesn't have to be here."
Mikey's eyes turned the darkest of hazels and he stormed out of the ambulance, kicking the door as went so it made a huge cracking sound. The Doctor winced slightly. I looked at Bob and Ray.
"Okay, we'll leave, just don't kill us," Ray said almost harshly. They stepped out of the ambulance, too, the Doctor following behind them closely.

I stroked Gee's hair and he groaned slightly. The Doctor had managed to get him to regain consciousness by injecting him with a coctail of different drugs. Gee turned his head towards me and he smiled at me weakly.
"Hey, beautiful. Have I died already? I think I'm seeing an angel."
He spoke so quietly, yet his words rang in my ears a thousand times. I gave a small laugh.
"Even when your life is at risk you're still cracking shit jokes," I said as softly as him. I was happy to see him, and yet I hated seeing him. In that way, anyway. He laughed slightly as well, but his painfully red eyes told a different story. His ghostly pale skin was almost translucent and, even though he was shivering slightly, sweat was glistening on his body.
"Frank, I feel kinda unimportant and useless," Gerard said. "a bit like tomato soup."
I stroked his hair again.
"That's good then," I smiled. "I like tomato soup."
Gerard gave me another smile, but this one spoke volumes. It was a real smile, one filled with euphoria and love.

The Doctor came rushing in, hot and flustered.
"I'm sorry, but we must start right away."
I bit my lip harder than before but Gerard squeezed my hand.
"Don't worry," he whispered. "I'll be fine."
I tried to smile at him but I couldn't; I knew that everything might not be fine at all. Gerard could die on a blood soaked table in a destroyed city, not with me when we were old and happy and together. The Doctor stuck a syringe into Gerard's vein and pushed the anaesthetic into his system.
"I said forever," Gerard said hoarsely. "And I meant it."
My tears fell down my cheeks and onto his bloody shirt. His eyes rolled back into his head; he was out cold.

"Gerard," I whispered, stroking his cheek.
"He can't hear you," the Doctor told me. I nodded and more tears streamed down my face.
"I'm sorry, but you need to wait outside while I do this. It might be distressing to watch."
I nodded again and stepped shakily outside, preparing myself for the longest wait of my life.