Status: Finished.

Play Dead

One

“One of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right,
I'm tripping on words.
You've got my head spinning,
I don't know where to go from here”


I sang lowly as I listened to my Ipod. I wiped my face and pulled my headphone’s out of my ears. I didn’t want to listen to our song right now. It only made things worse.

“Hey sweetie.” Jimmy said from behind me walking toward me and sitting on the step next to me.

“Hey Jim.” I sighed running my hand across my face.

“I’m really sorry about everything.” He sighed.

“Shouldn’t you be saying this to Matt?” I raised my head before putting it back down in my hands. “He’s the one who lost his wife.”

“Yes, but she was you’re family.” He wrapped his arm around me pulling me closer to him.

“Not technically.” I scowled. “I was adopted.”

“Well still.” He smirked a bit. “This effected you too, not just Matt and Michelle.”

---- Valery's POV---

I was sitting right next to him on our bed, he was sitting there with his head in his hands, and he was crying. “Matt, baby what’s wrong?” I asked. He was dressed in a black suit, and he looked incredibly handsome.

“God damn it Val, why did you have to leave me right now!” He shouted raising his head looking at the ceiling then pushing his head back in his hands.

“I’m right here Matt.” I answered.

He was acting as if he didn’t know I was there, as if I was invisible. He stood and closed his eyes wiping his face and let out a large sigh. I followed his actions, standing right in front of him but he wasn’t looking at me- he was staring into space. I stepped forward to confront him about ignoring me, but when I did- he stepped- Right. Through. Me.

“He can’t see you.” I swung around hearing an unfamiliar voice. “Thus he can’t hear you.”

“What do you mean he can’t see me?” I growled.

“You’re uh dead sweetie.” He laughed as if I was stupid.

“How am I dead?” My eyes widened. “How the hell did this happen?”

--- Meagan's POV---

What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time


I sat inside now, alone yet again. Valary was my older sister, along with Michelle. They weren’t much older than me, but their parents took me in when I was eight after my parents died in car accident. I didn’t have their last name, but I was still a part of the family.

Well at least up until I started dating Matt. I dated Matt when the band first started for almost a year when things between us seemed to change. It wasn’t him, it was all me. I was going through a depression, and he didn’t need that so at the time I was happy he found Val, but it wasn’t too long after that- and the green monster started popping up every time I saw them together. I was incredibly jealous, and leaving him was the worst thing that had ever happened to me.

“Hey Mae.” A voice broke my concentration. I looked up to see Zacky standing in front of me.

“Hey Zack.” I exhaled leaving the hard frown on my face. He walked toward me and sat next to me, putting his arm around me.

“How are you doing?” He asked quietly.

“How do you think I’m doing Zack?” I sighed. “This sucks.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t come say hello earlier.” He pressed his lips against my forehead.

“It’s fine Zack.” I groaned.

I sat forward and looked into the empty wine glass I held in my hand. There was no doubt I wanted to get drunk, but I just didn’t want to deal with the aftermath of being drunk.

“Well you know, things are going to eventually be alright.” He smiled a bit trying to comfort me.

“Nice try Zack, but I highly doubt that.” I laughed incredulously. I ran my hands through my hair and looked down noticing my skirt needed adjusting, I was showing a bit too much leg. I stood up and looked back at Zack. “I need a drink.”

With that I rushed away to find more alcohol. I wasn’t going to get drunk, I just needed enough to get me through the next few hours. I was going to be around Matt a lot more than I wanted to be at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to be around him, but I wanted to love him- and that wasn’t going to happen.

---Valery's POV---

“I asked a question, what the hell is going on?” I asked the man in front of me.

“You’re dead sweetums, and you’re still on earth, which means you have some unfinished business to attend to.” He placed his hand on my shoulder and I pushed it off glaring at him. “You won’t cross over until you do.”

“What unfinished business?” I questioned.

“I don’t know, you have to figure that out for yourself.” He shook his head. “But I must leave you now.”

“Wait!” I shouted. “I have ano-“ Before I could ask, he was gone and I was left with my head spinning. I grumbled and walked out of my bedroom, Well now his bedroom and decided to figure out what the hell was going on.

I was surprised that suddenly I was downstairs looking around at all the people that were in the house I shared with Matt. I sighed when I saw Michelle in tears, Brian by her side comforting her. I scanned the room and I saw Matt leaned up against the kitchen sink with his hand over his eyes. “Dude, you’ve got to talk to her sometime.” Jimmy walked toward him.

“I can’t talk to her right now Jim, I just can’t.” He shook his head folding his muscular arms around his body.

“It’s you’re second chance with her Matt.” Jim mumbled stepping closer to him. I found myself confused I had no idea what they were talking about.

“I’m not going to even give her a second chance.” He replied looking back at Jimmy.

“Why not?” He sounded confused.

“She made it clear a long time ago that she didn’t want to be with me.” He scowled.

“Dude, you don’t really know what happened.” He started to get quiet. “It’s more complicated than that.”

“How is it more complicated that her breaking my fucking heart Jimmy?” Matt got loud, which caused the crowd to stare.

I was really confused now as to what he was talking about. I thought they could be talking about me, but something suggested otherwise, if that was the case, who in the hell were they talking about? “Just go talk to her Matt, you need to.”
I watched him walk toward the living room where I saw different people I knew and then I saw my younger sister Meagan talking to Leana, Jimmy’s wife. He walked toward her and she looked up at him in tears.

“No.” He answered sternly and walked away. I felt horrible, he looked so sad and I wasn’t sure what to do about it. I had no idea what my “unfinished business” was.