Running Away From You

Chapter 2

Kelly opened her eyes still huddled at the foot of the door. Wondering what the time was, pulling her phone from her pocket from when she had shoved it in before Greg had struck her. Four am It read, scrambling to her feet the pain from her side shot through her body like a thousand knives. Opening the door she stared to see if Greg was up already, after a few minutes she slowly moved out into the hallway and into the bedroom. Seeing him asleep she grabbed her nurse’s uniform and bag an walked back into the bath room.

Sliding out of her clothes she took a look at her side where the bruise was. It had turned now a deep purple red, she winced as she lightly ran her fingers over it. Pulling on the dress, fixing her hair and then her make up she moved and opened the door again.

Grabbing her key from her bag she unlocked the car and got in. When she arrived at the nursing home, she walked in and to be greeted by the usual resident Mr Jones, who never really did what he was told, just mostly spent his days walking around the place.

Putting her bag in her locker she closed it and walked to the front desk. It wasn't too busy in the mornings Kelly was always the one to arrive early and leave late; she only recently left late to avoid Greg who was usually was sitting at home getting drunk. Staring into space she thought about her life and how it used to be compared to now, she felt pathetic as she thought of begging Greg to stop but what else is there to do.

I have become such a fool, I was once a person who lived life and wanted to see the world. Will I ever be like that again? Will I ever not fear of coming home after work? Walking in was the latest eye candy to work in the building, Pete was his name. He had a great smile that went with his eyes, short cut brown hair, and nice style and was around about Greg’s height. All the nurses fancied him, he was only 21 and most of the women that worked here were close to 30. Kelly had never said anything but hello and goodbye, she wondered what he was like out of work most days.

Getting up she walked to the coffee machine since she went out in a hurry in the morning she hadn’t picked one up. Waiting for it to finish Pete appeared from no where, she froze at the sight of him. She wasn’t used to not having some kind of abuse since Greg wasn’t with her during the day.

“Hey, Kelly right?” Pete said casually.
“Flinching at his sudden conversation starter she finally was able to get out “hello”, kicking her self she just simply put on a shy smile and looked back at the coffee maker.
“We haven’t met before, I’m Pete” He said extending his hand in front of her.
Hesitating for a second she thought what if this was a trick, if she was just day dreaming and she was really at home with Greg standing over her about to strike down with a gut wrenching blow to the face. But if it was a dream why not live it while it lasted, for when would she get to do such things.

“Yeah, nice to meet you” she said softly as if some how Greg would hear her talking to another man. Grabbing his coffee he smiled and said “Well it was nice to meet you too, ill see you around” then walking off he disappeared from sight.
She didn’t want him to leave she needed someone to talk to, to listen to tell her it was all ok. She felt a tears sting her eyes but she wouldn’t let them fall, not at work in front of others.
The day passed slowly and as Kelly watched the clock tick by she knew it drew to the time she would have to leave to go home.

Packing her things back into her bag Kelly looked up and saw Pete resting on the counter. He had a smile on his face that showed his perfectly straight teeth. Looking him in the eyes then averting hers.
“So you’re the last out of here, how many hours do you work a day?” Pete asked sliding his fingers across the surface of the counter top.

Trying to think what to say without adding Greg to the conversation Kelly she said softly “It pays the bills and gives me money”.
But that wasn’t true she never had extra money, Greg wouldn’t allow it, he took it and paid for alcohol and probably hookers.

“Yeah that’s the bonus about it” Pete said looking at Kelly then down the hall where he could see Mr. Jones wondering around at the window.
“Well work calls” he said with a smile then walking down to approach the elderly man.

Heading home Kelly dreaded to eventually step through the door for she new who would be awaiting her return.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Comments are loved!!!