Maybe Nice Guys Don't Always Finish Last

He Could Have Kicked My Ass!

Image

Mira woke up to the scent of dirt, racing fuel, and axe. Her body ached all over. It hurt so much for her to move her head to see the source of the aroma. She smiled weakly to herself when she saw Blake next to her sleeping. He was still wearing his riding gear.

“He’s been up all night. He just fell asleep like ten minutes ago,” Mira heard someone say.

She looked down to the foot of her bed and saw Adam. He smiled at her as he walked to the side of her that Blake wasn’t on.

“How long have you guys been here?” she asked in an almost whisper.

“He’s been here ever since you got here yesterday. He’s worried about you, Mir,” Adam said as he sat down.

She moved her head slowly too look over at Blake. His arms were wrapped loosely around her, but she still felt secure. More than anything she was amazed that Blake and Adam were by her side.

“Please tell me you feel a lot better than you look,” Adam asked with a small smile.

“I feel like a fucking semi hit me,” she said.

“Nice to know you haven’t lost your attitude,” he said laughing at her.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Mira didn’t pay too much attention to Adam. She hated to admit it, but her focus was all on Blake. She wanted him to open his eyes and look at her. Just a smile from him would make her feel so much better.

“Is it true?” she asked Adam while still looking at Blake.

“Is what true?” he asked confused.

“Everything he said.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Yesterday… I think… I heard you and him talking. The stuff he said about me… is it true?” she asked as her voice got stronger.

“Yeah, everything he said about you is so true.”

They fell silent again. Mira had so many thoughts racing through her head. All she wanted was for Blake to wake up. She didn’t care about Adam being there or anyone else that might stop by. With Blake still sleeping, she figured this would be a good time to patch things up with Adam.

“Adam, I’m sorry,” she said looking straight at him.

“Mira, don’t worry about this now. You just worry about getting better.”

She smiled at him weakly and looked back at Blake. Her smile widened when she saw that his eyes were opened. He smiled back, tiredly and tightened his hold on her. She bellowed from the sharp pains it caused her.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry. I kind of forgot about… you know,” he said getting up off of the bed and rubbing the back of his neck.

“It’s ok. It went away.” She said smiling at him. He smiled back and they held each other’s gazes.

“I think that’s my cue to leave,” Adam said and left.

Mira watched him disappear behind the door. She was really nervous now. Her and Blake haven’t had a decent conversation since they met. She would hope this one was going to be a lot nicer than their previous ones.

“Well, I think I owe you a huge apology,” Mira started.

“No, you don’t. I think I owe you the apology,” he said and walked closer to her. Mira smiled at him and reached for his hand. He gave it to her willingly.

“I think we both owe each other apologies for being unnecessarily cruel to each other,” she said as Blake sat down next to her.

“Well, I’ll say I’m sorry if you’re sorry and I’ll accept your apology if you accept my apology,” he said with a smirk.

“I’m sorry and I accept your apology,” she said smiling her full smile.

They held eye contact for a few seconds. Mira noticed him moving his stare from her eyes to her lips. She wanted him to go through with what he was thinking. Everything hurt too much or she would have kissed him. The only thing she could move without causing herself pain was her mouth, eyes, and left hand.

“Blake, I’ll remember if you kiss me this time,” she said making him laugh.

He looked back at her and held her gaze before leaning towards her, making sure not to cause her any pain. Both their eyes closed before their lips met. It wasn’t the same intense kisses they had at Rumors a couple weeks back. When they parted, both of them had huge smiles on their faces.

“You look so tried,” Mira said as she brought her hand, that was resting in Blake’s, up to his cheek.

“I couldn’t sleep for more than ten minutes at a time. I was too worried about you.”

“Go to your hotel and get some rest. I’m fine now.”

“I don’t want to leave you,” he said protesting nicely.

“I’m sure Adam and Joey will be by soon. Blake, you’re still in your riding gear.” She said laughing at him.

“Ok, but I’m just going to take a shower and come right back,” he said as he stood up and kissed her forehead.

He started walking towards the door. He had just opened it and was about ready to walk out when Mira called for him.

“Blake… I’m glad you’re the person that’s here with me,” she said with a small smile.

“There’s nowhere I’d rather be,” he said and gave her his famous wink.

He shut the door slowly behind him. Mira couldn’t help but smile. Her last twenty four hours have gone so horribly wrong, but yet, Blake made it all better for her. He had been gone for about twenty minutes. She was still floating on cloud nine when someone knocked on her door. She yelled for the person to come. She expected to see either Adam or Joey, but it wasn’t either of them.

What the hell are you doing here?” she asked the person standing at the foot of her bed.

“I figured I should come to see you,” Cory said unable to make eye contact with her.

“You’re a little late. Don’t you think so?”

“I’m sorry. I made a mistake and I want to fix it.”

“Cory, you said you were changed. The other night didn’t prove that at all,” she said trying to stay as calm as possible.

“I’m sorry, babe. Give me another chance,” he said as he walked towards her.

“No.”

“Babe, please. I love you.”

“Cory, just leave now,” she said starting to lose it. Tears were starting to well up in her eyes.

“So now what? Are you going to be with your little motocross boyfriend?” Cory asked as his anger level started to rise.

“Maybe I will. At least he doesn’t choose going out over me,” she said to him angrily.

“You know what, Mira? Have at it. I don’t give a fu…”

Cory never got to finish his thought. He was cut off by Blake and Adam walking through the door. Blake took one look at Mira and knew that Cory being there wasn’t good for her.

“Cory, I think you should really go,” Blake said staring at Cory.

“Who the hell are you to tell me to leave my girlfriend?” Cory asked as he started to walk up to Blake, trying to intimidate him.

“She’s not your girlfriend, mate,” he said with a smirk obviously not intimidated at all.

“I’m not leaving,” Cory said as he pushed Blake back.

Once Blake recovered, he went after Cory. Before either of them could get a punch in, Adam stepped between them.

“Cory, just leave. I don’t want to see you right now… or ever again,” Mira said as a few tears fell from her eyes.

Blake immediately went over to comfort her. Cory watched as more anger built up in him. Adam gave him a nudge. He didn’t fight back this time. With one last look at Mira, who was pressed against Blake’s chest, he left as Adam shut the door behind him.

“I’m glad you came back,” she said still pressed against him.

“I can’t really say the same for that situation. He could have kicked my ass,” he said with a laugh in his voice. “But I’m glad I came back to see you,” he said and kissed the top of her head.

Mira smiled to herself. Her jackass of a boyfriend was gone. She had her best friend back. And possibly have a new, gorgeous, Australian boyfriend.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment?