Maybe Nice Guys Don't Always Finish Last

Strippers, Text From the Ex, and Cary Hart

Image

“Rise and shine, Mira. We got places to go and jumps to ride,”

Mira groaned. Who ever is waking her up at this hour, better have a good reason for it. She opened her eyes and saw Adam Jones; one of her good riding buddies.

“What the hell are you doing here?” she asked surprised to see him.

“Well it’s good to see you two,” he said with a smile. “Get up. We’re going to Vegas,” he said as he pulled her covers off of her.

She tried fighting back, but gave up. Adam was clearly stronger than her. She let out another groan as she got out of bed.

“That’s the spirit. I’ll be back up in ten minutes. We’re leaving if you’re ready or not,” Adam said as she made her way to the bathroom.

She smiled. She loved Adam. He’s been one of her good friends since she started riding. She always like how he never treated her any different than his other riding friends that were all of the male gender. She would even go as far as to say that she had a small crush on him, but he was married and had a kid on the way. She was just as happy to call him her friend. She was all done. All she was doing was throwing her hair up when Adam came through the door.

“Good. You’re not naked. Lets go,” he said with a small smile as Mira came out of the bathroom.

“Gosh, in such a hurry today. I’m sure the strippers are still going to be there no matter what time it is,” Mira said smiling at herself as they made their way out of her house.

“Ha ha very funny. You know what else is funny? Us taking your truck and not mine,” he said as Mira’s smile faded.

“No. I love my truck. We’re not taking it to Vegas. That’s too many miles,” she said in protest.

“Too late. My bike’s already in it. I’ll be nice and drive. How about that?”

“Fine,” she said giving in. “Holy shit, it’s five in the morning. I can’t remember the last time I was up this early,” Mira said as Adam started her truck and the clock flickered on.

“I’m glad I could help you out with that,” Adam smiled as he pulled out into the street.

They were a good hour and a half into their four-hour trip. Mira was so bored. Adam could tell and had a few things on his mind to ask her.

“I heard you did really well in your contest a few weeks ago,” he started with.

“Yeah…” she said with a small smile. She tried so hard to clear all memories away from that day.

“You met one of my boys,” he said casually.

“Really?” Mira asked not too interested in who he was going to say.

“Yep. Bilko,” he said not seeing Mira cringe from the sound of his name… well nickname.

She didn’t respond to him. She had no idea what to say. Luckily, Mira managed to avoid Bilko for two weeks. Not that she hasn’t thought about him, though. Oh and Joey. He has been all over Mira about him. He says that she needs to talk to him. He’s all bummed out. She always said she didn’t care, but she did to some degree.

“I heard you guys had a blue awhile back,”

“A what?” she asked turning her head quickly to look at him.

“Oh man, his Aussie lingo’s rubbing off on me. You guys kind of got into it. He said blue, which is an argument,”

“Oh… I guess you could say that,” she said going back to looking out the window.

“I’m one of your best friends right?” he asked taking his eyes off the empty road to look at her.

She sighed out a yes. She knew where this was going.

“Tell me what happened,” he said caringly.

“Nothing happened,” she sighed out.

“Mir, I’m not trying to side with Bilko here, but he kind of has a very detailed description of what happened. And if I were a single man, damn would I be jealous,” he said with a smile.

“Nothing happened, Adam,” she said getting an attitude.

“Do you not remember or are you saying nothing happened at all?”

“Please just drop it,” she said just as her phone vibrated in her pocket.

She smiled when she saw whom the text message was from. In the last two weeks, she’s been friendlier with her ex boyfriend, Cory, than she’s been in the past. They dated for almost four years until Cory slipped up. Partying over took his BMX career and maybe clouded his thinking one night and things with a female went too far. Mira found out from one of his friends that wanted her just as much, if not more than Cory. She left both of them behind a year ago. Surprisingly, that was her most successful year career wise. But Cory seems to have his act together now. He’s doing well in his contests and isn’t as much of an ass as he used to be.

“I really need to see you,” his text said.

She smiled before texting back her reply. She said that she wouldn’t be home until sometime tomorrow. Adam stayed silent as Mira was texting her ex. He couldn’t help but think about the conversation he had with Blake yesterday.

~* * * *~

“Adam, what do I do, mate?” Blake asked running his hands through his messy hair.

“I’ve know Mira for a long time, man. She’s a stubborn one,” Adam replied while taking his helmet off.

Him and Blake met up to session at Joey’s house hoping Mira would stop by. Sadly for Blake, she never did. He’s been replaying their night out for the last two weeks. He can’t stop thinking about her. It hurt him so much that Mira wouldn’t even acknowledge that any of it happened.

“It fucking sucks man,” he said hitting his handlebars.

“She’ll come around eventually. I want to tell you something, but don’t tell her I told you any of this,” Adam said as Blake looked up at him. “She’s not used to guys treating her very nicely. I mean image growing up and being the only girl being into motocross. Then when she actually makes it, she still has all these haters and guys treating her like shit just because she’s a girl. Even with her boyfriends it’s the same. Her ex is a complete asshole who doesn’t deserve her at all. But somehow she’s been talking to him lately,” he said and Blake’s expression fell. “Don’t give up on her, Bilko. She needs a nice guy like you.”

~* * * *~

“Get me the hell out of this truck,” Mira said as Adam turned her truck off.

Mira got out to stretch her legs. A smile came over her face when she saw the sight in front of her. Dirt jumps seemed to go on for miles. She couldn’t remember the last time she’s been to this place. Besides Joey’s, this was her favorite place to ride.

“I was wondering when I was going to see you again.”

Mira turned around and saw a very familiar, friendly face.

“I’m here. Let’s shred this place,” Mira said walking past the owner of this motocross paradise, Cary Hart.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment?

Adam Jones

Cory

Mira's Outfite