Trembling With the Strings

First Words Are So... Precious?

Caution!!: you proceed to read this chapter knowing that a certain part of the male anatomy is discussed to an extent. Not to a gross "Oh my God, what is this? Sex ed?" extent, but to a certain extent. If you fear for your health or can picture yourself thinking "My virgin ears!!" then mayhaps you should think twice before reading the main portion of this chapter. You have been forewarned, and I will not take liability for any emotional scarring or angry reviews of said chapter. That is all.

:D

The next morning, I woke up alone. I threw my hand over to the spot next to me, but Darius wasn’t there. Shooting up in bed, I realized that he wasn’t in the bedroom at all. I retrieved the button-down shirt from the floor and grabbed undergarments from the dresser. It was actually full of plenty of choices, so it was safe to assume that Darius had made a trip to our house, though I didn’t know when.

I peered into the hallway, but there was no sign of him, so I decided I would find him later. I was anxious to check up on Kai and maybe see if he had forgiven me yet, so I stepped into the hall and made my way to the room in which my four boys were. I opened the door carefully, and I couldn’t stop smiling at the scene before me.

Darius was sitting in an armchair beside Marty’s bed, and he had a book in his hands and Kai on his lap. I stepped inside, leaning against the wall with my arms folded across my chest I watched Dray read to his son. Kai shrieked in joy, trying to imitate the sounds his father was making and poking the words with his tiny fingers.

“Kai, I’m going to tell you a very important life lesson,” Darius started, putting the book down. “It is very rude to eavesdrop on precious moments, even if your name is Gracie.” He shot a glance my way, shaking his head playfully. “But girls are allowed to get away with anything, I suppose.”

I grinned, pushing myself away from the wall and walking over to Darius and my shrieking son. Darius put Kai back in the crib and closed the distance between us with three long strides. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him softly in apology.

“I’m sorry I’m a very rude girl,” I told him, not able to keep a straight face. I messed with his hair absentmindedly. “So I missed you this morning.”

His smile faltered for a second. “Oh, I’m sorry, baby. I didn’t think you’d wake up so early, and I had a lot of stuff to do. I was going to come back after I finished this book, but then you surprised me with your ‘sneaky’ entrance.”

“You knew I was there the whole time, didn’t you?” I grumbled, making a face as he nodded. “Well, why did you have to get up so early?”

He smiled, but it wasn’t a charming and sweet smile. No, it was more of a mischievous smirk—like he was up to something. I didn’t trust it one bit, and I think that was blatantly scrawled all over my face. Pulling myself away from him, I put my hands on my hips while watching him carefully.

“What did you do?” I asked him, pronouncing each syllable with exaggerated care.

“What ever do you mean, my love?” he asked, stepping up to me.

I backed away, holding up a hand and stopping him in his tracks. “Darius-Clinton Jameson, I will not stand for this blasphemy! What have you done, Mister?”

He vanished suddenly, and I almost had a heart attack when a pair of cold arms wrapped around me from behind. I turned around quickly, only able to relax when I saw his face.

“Would you like me to show you what I’ve done?”

“If it has anything to do with your man junk, no.”

He chuckled in my ear, releasing me to catch my hand. He brought it to his lips and kissed up my arm. “It doesn’t have to do with that, though you weren’t so reluctant to meet Winston last night.”

“Wait, Winston?” I stared at him for awhile, trying to piece together the puzzle. “Oh, my God! You named it?”

“He’s part of the family, and he loves you! I think he deserves to have a name,” Dray scoffed, laughing at my obvious distress.

“Normal people don’t go around naming…that!” I shrieked, flailing my arms and hands as I tried to shake off the images.

“Say it, Gracie!” he shouted. “It’s called a penis!”

“Oh, my God! Darius, shut up! Right now!” I hissed, plugging my ears and shaking my head furiously.

“Male anatomy, my love!” he sang, grabbing my arms and staring me right in the eyes. “P-E-N-I—”

“My virgin ears!” I cried, pushing him away and running to the crib, picking up Kai. “Keep your vulgar comments to yourself—there are children present!”

Darius smiled softly, taking Kai into his arms. I let out a breath of relief, but it was too soon.

“Hear that, little buddy?” he cooed, tapping his little nose. “Gracie doesn’t like me saying ‘Penis.’ Isn’t that crazy?”

“I can’t believe you!” I shrieked, jerking Kai away from him. To my son, I told him, “Let’s hope you don’t grow up to be like your father, huh, sweetie?”

I will never forget what my son did just then—I believe it will haunt me for the rest of my life. For, out of nowhere, my son shrieked out garbled sounds before screaming—terribly clearly, might I say—the one word I had never expected him—not in a million years—to say.

“Penis!” Kai shrieked, squirming in my arms.

My jaw dropped to the floor just as Darius’ entire body fell. I gaped at him as he rolled back and forth, not able to stop laughing like an idiot.

“His first word!” he managed to scream amidst the ridiculous laughter. “His first word!”

“I hate you! And I will hate you for as long as I live!” I screamed at him, trying to keep a straight face as my mouth hung open, which was actually rather impossible. “I—How—Oh, my God!”

“I fucking love this kid!” Darius told me, suddenly on his feet and full-out embracing his son. “He’s like a little parrot, huh, baby?”

“I am not speaking to you! You taught our son to say such a nasty thing! What am I going to say when he asks about his first word? Huh? What am I supposed to say?”

“Well, I suppose you could—”

“Do not say it,” I warned him, scowling.

“Well, I just mean that you could always say—”

“Darius!”

“Fine! I won’t say it.”

“Thank you.”

“Yeah-yeah. Oh, hey, maybe next I should teach him the wonders of—!”

“Whatever it is—shut up!”

“Love you,” he sang loudly and obnoxiously, placing Kai back in his crib. “Before you refuse to speak to me ever again, maybe I could show you what I was going to show you before you made me teach Kai to talk about Winston?”

“I hate you so much right now,” I grumbled. “But fine. What is so important?”

“First, tell me that you love me,” he cooed, pulling me into his arms, still grinning.

“Fine. I love you—even though I hate you.”

“Good enough for me!” he sang, pulling himself from me suddenly and disappearing out the door.

I stood there, alone, for a good two minutes before finally stepping into the hallway. “Darius?” I called, but he was nowhere to be seen. “Babe?”

I turned around just in time to see a bundle of fur lunge at me, barking and licking at my face. I laughed, struggling to push the dog off of me. Wait, dog?

There was a whistle, and the German shepherd bounded over to Darius, who rewarded the action with a few pats on the head. I looked at the girl for a moment. She didn’t have any tags or a collar.

“I found her hiding under your bed at your old house, but I don’t think she’s been there since you left. The door was hanging wide open, and the lights were on. Plus, she’s not starving or anything.”

“What are you saying?” I asked, patting my leg and smiling when Eleanor trotted up to me, her tail wagging with excitement.

“Well, I think your sister was there, but don’t get excited or anything—your bedroom was entirely ransacked and all the clothes were gone, as well as the blanket and any money in the house. She probably skipped town or something. Even if she hadn’t, I wouldn’t let her live with us—not after her teaming up with Yvette to torment you when you were pregnant. And, yes, I know about that.”

“Can’t we just try to find her?” I asked quietly, not sure of my words. She was my sister, yes, but I didn’t have much reason to love her.

“It wouldn’t make a difference. I don’t know her well enough to be able to track her down, and she could be anywhere. I’d tear the world apart to find you, but she’d be lucky if I’d search for more than two minutes for her.”

I nodded, petting Eleanor gently as she rested her head on my lap. She glanced up at me through sad brown eyes as she whimpered. I kissed her forehead before standing up. Dray walked up to me immediately, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing me gently.

“Is it bad that I hope she never comes back?” I whispered into his chest, tears spilling out of my eyes. How could I think such a horrible thing?

“No, baby, it’s not. I won’t let her come within two-hundred feet of you. I promised I’d protect you. I didn’t believe you when you told me that Yvette and Katelynn were out to get you, but I won’t make that mistake again. I love you.”

“I love you, too. So much.”
♠ ♠ ♠
What a profane chapter! Anyway, thanks for reading, and I apologize if any offense was taken in the making of this chapter. Please refer to the caution at the beginning of this document if you have any concerns regarding the legality of your shock. Thank you.
...
:D