Trembling With the Strings

Curious? You Should Be.

“Dray, please, not now,” I begged softly, stepping closer to him and crawling onto him, sitting in his lap backwards. He purred seductively in my ear, pulling me tight against him and securing me in place while kissing my neck roughly, but then he shook his head.

“Yes, now, Gracie,” he demanded, clearing his throat and pushing me carelessly off of him and onto the spot on the bed beside him. He did, however, put an arm around my waist. I sighed softly.

“Darius, I really don’t see what business it is of yours,” I admitted quietly, twiddling my thumbs in my lap.

“She told me, love. Marcy told me that you promised, so you best fess up. Who gave you these bruises and cuts, Grace? Who?” His eyes fell onto mine and I cringed, my eyes darting to the floor in front of me. He grasped my chin and tilted it up so I was looking him in the eyes. “Who?” he repeated, his mouth merely centimeters from mine and his breath washing into my face. I found myself leaning in, but he chuckled and backed away quickly. I relaxed, a bit disappointed.

“Dray, it’s behind me now,” I mumbled, casting a fleeting glance at him. He had a stern look about him and I caved. “My brothers aren’t in the best of hands.”

“Is it your mother or your father?”

I growled lightly, wishing he would have been stupid and not understood my allusion. Darius had this soft look in his eyes when I glanced over at him, defeated.

“Dad. My mom was always too drunk to do anything,” I whispered softly, touching a tender spot near my elbow. “These bruises will eventually go away, so don’t worry about it.”

“That’s why you want your brothers to come here?” he guessed, inattentively chaffing my shoulder. I nodded, blinking furiously at the tears welling up in my eyes. “It’s okay, honey.” He was quiet for a moment. “To tell the truth, I’m a little curious.”

“About what?” I mumbled, wiping my eyes.

“What your brothers are like. Are they anything like you?” I appreciated that he was trying to pretend like he cared, but I wasn’t falling for it. Nonetheless, I loved talking about my brothers. They were my pride and joy.

“Well, Marcus is the tough guy always looking out for everyone and understanding so much more than he should. Jonathan is a nerd, to say the least, and always has his nose buried in any book he can find, though we could never afford many. Demetrius is just a little kid who doesn’t speak too well since we can’t pay for the best education. He’s a sweetheart, though. Katelynn ran away and she was a bit self-absorbed, to tell the truth. She insisted that I got all the lucky breaks.”

“And who are you? The rebelling, catholic-school-girl prostitute?” he joked, smirking.

“No. I’m the polite, innocent girl. I’ve had nothing to do with boys up until now and I believe I was better off as pure and naïve. Boys are complicate things,” I muttered, smiling slightly.

“Oh, but we make life so much more pleasuring, Gracie,” he whispered in my ear, resting a hand on my thigh. I bit my lip as he started rubbing it.

“Please, don’t,” I whimpered. He rolled his eyes and kept his hands to himself.

“Well, I suppose they could come out later. But I want you to be a good girl.”

“What does that mean?” I asked him, a scowl on my face.

“It means Lyndell is coming out and he’s my friend. But if either of you tries anything...” His voice trailed off and I nodded. I kissed his cheek.

“Oh, but I only have eyes for you, my dear,” I mocked, laughing.

“Oh, but I only have eyes for you naked in my bed after a rough, passionate night of hot sex,” he purred. That earned him a disgusted glance. He merely shrugged it off, handing me my shirt as he pulled his on.

Honestly, do all guys only think about getting laid?