Trembling With the Strings

Family Affairs

I tore myself out of my stupor as I realized he had really come to me. I ran to Darius and jumped into his arms. He held me there and I wrapped my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck to help him hold me up. He glanced down at me for a second, a quick smile crossing his lips before he placed his gaze back on my captor.

“I’m not paying you a cent. I’m taking her home and, if I ever see you ever again, I swear I’ll have your head. Stay away from me, Gracie—Hell, my entire family!” Darius kissed me quickly before tearing me off of him and setting me down beside him.

“Oh, but I don’t think you want to leave just yet, Darius,” his uncle said suddenly, a smile in his voice. Darius turned to face him and I did the same, grabbing his hand tightly. He rolled his eyes, but I ignored it the best I could.

“And why is that?” Darius asked blandly.

“I know something you don’t. And I do believe you’d like to know what I know,” he whispered, a cruel grin overcoming the rest of his horrid features.

“Tell me,” Darius growled through clenched teeth, his eyes narrowing at him.

“Oh, but it only has to do with your fiancée and what you’re getting yourself into.”

“This guy has been pulling this card for the past ten minutes. Don’t waste your time,” I whispered, begging him to let us leave and go home to my brothers. I wanted them to know I was okay.

“Don’t tell me what to do!” he hissed, focusing his glare on me for five seconds before looking at my captor yet again. “Tell me right now.”

“Oh, but what’s a few thousand dollars to you, anyway? Why not just give a poor, bankrupt man that much?”

“I pity you, I really do. Whatever. I’ll wire you the money. Just tell me or I’ll kill you.”

“I want cash.”

“Picky beggar, eh?” Darius yanked his hand from mine and dug out his wallet, rifling through it and pulling out several bills. I’d never get used to how easily he gave up a ton of money. “Now tell me.”

“Let’s not get hasty. You certainly wouldn’t want your kid to find out how truly vicious you are.”

“Get your facts straight, old man. I have three children at home and they’re not my kids. They’re merely Grace’s brothers.” Darius gingerly took my hand back into his and tugged me closer to his side.

“I know what I said, boy,” he snapped. “Your child is listening right now and I don’t doubt if he’s disappointed in the man he will come to know as ‘father’.”

“I’m not having a kid, so shut up and tell me what you really know!” Darius hissed, gripping my hand. I swallowed a yelp in my throat.

“Choose to disregard it if you will, but you’re fiancée is hiding something from you.”

“She wouldn’t. She knows I’d kill her.” I gulped. He’d kill me if I had a secret?

“I’m not hiding anything!” I hissed, glaring at him just as Darius was. I was getting a little nauseous. I was always getting nauseous...

“Do tell me what you name the little tyke.” The man suddenly dashed out of the room. Darius turned his gaze to me.

“You better not be hiding anything from me, girl,” he hissed. I shook my head. “Good. But...We need to stop by the store.”

“For what?”

“What do you think?” he growled, tugging me to the window.

“You can’t honestly believe him!”

“Shut up!” he barked, glaring. I sighed and swallowed my protests as he scooped me up into his arms and jumped out the window.

Some people will listen to anyone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm, is that the reason she always feels sick to her stomach? Le gasp! I'm as shocked as you are, and I wrote this thing! Well, I'll be sure to update again tomorrow. =]