People Change

Hostility Among Friends

Maybe I should’ve just told Jimmy myself, the instant I got here, Brian thought as he waited for Jimmy and/or Lanie to return. He expected an ass-whooping and a face-breaking when either of them returned. The instant the nurse said that Sydney only wanted to see Lanie, Brian knew she was about to tell them what happened before the accident. He felt grateful, however, that she hadn’t just let him come in too; he knew if he was in the same room when both of them found out, he’d get his ass kicked like no other.

Who was he kidding? He was going to get his ass kicked like no other either way. Maybe this way, he’d only be paralyzed from the waist down instead of from the neck down. And whose fault is this, Brian? ALL YOURS, BECAUSE YOU’RE A FUCKING DICKHEAD.

Brian felt miserable about the whole situation, as he deserved to. Before he’d heard about the crash, Brian thought he could still salvage a bit of his and Jimmy’s friendship. But now that he’d caused Sydney to get in a crash—he knew he did; he didn’t know the whole story, but he knew it had to be because Sydney was distracted by what Brian the dickhead had done—Jimmy wouldn’t be so keen on maintaining their friendship. They’d been best friends forever—ever since junior high—but Brian had fucked up big time, and he’d fucked up big time where it concerned Jimmy’s kid sister.

Yeah, he wouldn’t be leaving this place without a wheelchair; that was for sure.

Brian lifted his head out of his hands at the sound of footsteps coming towards him. Jimmy walked towards him, his hands buried deep in the pockets of his jeans. Brian rose to his feet, wanting to be somewhat level with Jimmy if he started throwing punches.

“Her ankle’s fractured, and there’s a long ass gash across her forehead, but other than that she’s fine,” Jimmy told him. “She’ll just be staying overnight.”

Jimmy sounded surprisingly calm. Brian wondered if Sydney hadn’t told them what happened. He opened his mouth to say something, but Jimmy cut in before he could.

“She doesn’t want to see you,” Jimmy said, and BLAM! There came the rage. He still sounded calm, but there was barely contained rage in his voice, and storm clouds shifted across his eyes. “And I’m half a thought away from decking you myself.”

Okay, so Sydney had spilled the beans.

“I think it’s best that you just leave,” Jimmy continued, pushing his hands a little deeper into his pockets. Brian realized he was doing that so he wouldn’t start breaking Brian’s face with his fists. He sent one last glare Brian’s way before turning and walking back down the hallway towards Sydney’s room.

Brian could do nothing but turn around and walk the other way, towards the doors leading out of the hospital instead of further into it.

@@@@@

The following morning, Jimmy didn’t arrive at the studio until half past ten. Johnny was currently the only one recording, tweaking the notes every once in a while to make the right noise he wanted. Everyone else sat behind the glass in the room with all the dials and knobs and technical stuff. They all looked around when Jimmy stepped in and closed the door quietly behind him.

“I was helping Lanie take Sydney back to their flat,” Jimmy explained as he took a seat as far away from Brian as possible.

“How is she?” Brian asked. Jimmy completely ignored him, instead watching Johnny. Matt shot Brian a look—they all knew what had happened between Sydney and Brian because he’d manned up and told them all himself—before asking Jimmy the exact same question.

“She’s fine,” Jimmy answered instantly, looking around at Matt. “They put her ankle in a cast and told her to just rest as much as possible over the next couple of days. She’ll probably be back in the bakery by this afternoon, though,” Jimmy finished with a small smile.

Then, everyone went back to watching Johnny, occasionally leaning forward and pushing the button that turned the speakers on in the recording room so they could talk to Johnny to give him ideas or suggestions. Brian glanced occasionally over at Jimmy, who acted as though Brian no longer existed. He could feel Jimmy’s hostility emanating from him, and Brian began to wonder when Jimmy would finally snap and give Brian the ass kicking he knew was coming.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyya!

I just want to take a moment out of my extremely un-hectic schedule and thank everyone--readers, subscribers, and commenters alike--for being such brilliant and awesome readers. You guys are so amazing; you keep me writing and striving to be a better writer. I write everything I write for two reasons: 1) it's fun and kicks boredom's ass and 2) I write stories for YOU. Yeah, you. Sitting right there staring at this computer screen like 'When the hell is this moronic dork gonna shut up and let me be on my way?' But honestly, you guys are all amazing and I think you all deserve a cookie. =}

You guys are brilliant. Really. No joke.