People Change

Bro, I'm Sorry

Brian looked up from his magazine when he heard a knock on his door. He leaned forward in his seat until he could look out of the window at his driveway. Instantly recognizing Jimmy’s truck sitting behind Brian’s SUV, he put his magazine down on the coffee table. No matter what happened, Brian couldn’t run from it. As much as he wanted to act like he wasn’t home—even though if he did that, Jimmy would probably just come in anyway—Brian struggled to his feet, running his fingertips unconsciously over the bruises across the bridge of his nose where Jimmy punched him. Jimmy hadn’t broken Brian’s nose, but he’d bruised it up pretty bad nonetheless.

Jimmy didn’t look angry when Brian answered the door. To Brian’s surprise, he looked guilty and a little ashamed, like a little kid forced to apologize to another kid for butting in the lunch line. For several seconds they stood there, the only thing separating them being the threshold of Brian’s doorway. Slowly, without a word, Brian stepped back and pulled the door further open to allow Jimmy inside the room. Just as silently, Jimmy walked into the living room, glancing once at Brian’s face. Brian had developed a black eye where Jimmy punched him, and several bruises across the bridge of his nose, not to mention the black eye Sydney managed to give him. But Jimmy didn’t look happy about the bruises, or even just a little satisfied; if anything, he looked guiltier than before.

Brian closed his front door silently behind Jimmy. He buried his hands in his pockets and walked behind the couch, stopping there and looking at Jimmy where he stood blocking the television, which Brian didn’t watch that often. They stood there for several moments, just standing there, but it felt like an eternity to Brian.

Then, in perfect unison: “Bro, I’m sorry.”

“Go on,” Brian insisted.

“I just came to apologize for...um...breaking your face. I’ve already had two attempts on my life by crazy fan-girls,” Jimmy continued. “And I don’t want to give you an I-Told-You-So speech. I was just angry because you screwed up, and screwed up bad. I saw it as you leading Sydney on, and then breaking her heart just like that without any warning or clues or anything. But I’m sure she’ll get over you just as easily as you’ve gotten over her.”

Brian exhaled quietly at Jimmy’s closing statement. He couldn’t pretend that he hadn’t gotten over Sydney, even though he wanted to. But he had gotten over Sydney; he’d realized that there was something missing from their relationship, and if he’d realized it sooner, none of this would’ve happened. He felt complete with Michelle, but hell, even his chances with her were skim to none now.

“And I’m really sorry about all this pain I’ve undoubtedly caused Sydney,” Brian replied. “I just can’t get it right when it comes to her. And I won’t deny that I’ve gotten over her, because I have, frighteningly quickly. Now I realize our relationship wasn’t really made for romance. But I still want to be friends with her and make it up to her...if that’s even possible. She’s forgiving, but I just don’t think I have much of a chance of being forgiven by her any time soon. I plan on calling in a couple of weeks after letting her calm down.”

Jimmy stared at Brian for several moments before finally speaking. “You’re a real work of art, Gates. And, sadly enough, I don’t hold grudges. Sydney won’t be so lenient.”

“Yeah, I know,” Brian agreed, feeling the tension disappear like puddles of water on a sunny day. “And there’s really only one Rev on this planet. As for Sydney holding grudges...I’ll probably have to grovel at her feet for forgiveness.”

“I suggest you don’t,” Jimmy said seriously, but a smile hid behind his eyes. “If I were you, I wouldn’t get my face anywhere close to her feet, or you might lose a tooth or two when she kicks you.”

“Hm, good point,” Brian replied with a smile, walking around and plopping down on his couch. Their forgiveness of each other didn’t need to be spoken aloud. “I’ll grovel at a distance.”

“I have just one question,” Jimmy said. Brian nodded. “Why did you break up with Michelle in the first place?”

“I think I loved her so much I didn’t want to end up cheating on her,” Brian answered thoughtfully. “I thought the heartbreak of my ending the relationship would be less than finding me with some other chick. I guess I should’ve stayed with her. Maybe none of this would’ve happened.”

“Things happen,” Jimmy said with a shrug. “I’m sure something good will come of it.”

“Maybe,” Brian agreed quietly. “Maybe.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyya!
A lot of you will be unhappy that I had Jimmy forgive Brian so easily, so quickly.
But I just couldn't keep the tension between them.
I guess I could have, but I hadn't planned on doing it that way.
Anywho, I want to thank everyone who commented/subscribed/read the previous chapter. =}

Comments? I love 'em.