Hearts on Lockdown

Chapter 9

That night as I lay in bed, thoughts of the kiss with Emmett ran through my head. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Bella had told me I kissed him for nearly ten whole minutes. I had never kissed Ced for that long. He was always on my mind.
Jean? I jumped in the air as I heard his voice call my name. This was going to take some getting used to.
Yer?
He’s gone. I do not think he would mind that you are happy. Edward said through our link.
That doesn’t make it any easier.
Get some sleep. Have you got any more of that sleeping draught that Esme gave you?
About a mouthful.
Take it. I’ll see you in the morning. Say goodnight to Bella for me. And then his voice dropped out of my head. I tried searching for it again, but he had put his walls up.
Getting out of bed to go to my cupboard where I kept the draught, I caught Bella’s eye.
“Are you alright?” She said sleepily.
“I’m good Bells, go back to sleep. Edweirdo says goodnight by the way.” She closes her eyes again with a smile on her face. She was happy. At last. Bella had always put a happy face on, but I could see through it sometimes. It was good to see her truly happy again. Oliver messed her over when he left. Now he was back… I hoped that she could stay strong, I knew she would.
I took the bottle out of the cupboard and drank the last mouthful of the sleeping draught. I walked back to my bed and fell against my pillows.

"Jean." a voice said from behind me. I looked around to see that I was in the forest. I turned towards the voice. He was leaning against a tree, smiling at me. "Ced?" I asked confused.
"Yer it's me." I run over to him and wrap my arms around his waist, half expecting him to disappear. He was solid though. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him.
"I miss you so much" I said hardly believing the tears that were rolling down my cheeks.
"I know. I miss you too." We stood there in the chilling forest holding each other again. Pieces that I felt were gone, were back and clicking into place again.
“You need to let me go, Jinx. You need to let yourself move on.”
"But..." I try and say something.
"No Jean, you need to do this. You need to move on. I understand that. Just because I’m dead, doesn't mean, that you can’t live. Life’s too short for hanging on to things you can’t change. I want you to be happy. Not walking around like the whole world is on your shoulders. The Jean I knew isn’t there anymore she’s still hiding. Bring her back." He said quietly in my ear. I feel his arms start to move away. I squeeze him tighter. I don’t want to let go. He leans down and kisses me on the cheek.
"Jean, it's time." He says stepping away from me.
"No! Not yet! Ced, don’t go! Please stay! Don’t leave me again!" I say, the tears cascading down my cheeks.
"Jinx, let me go. Move on." He said moving a piece of hair out of my eyes and behind my ear.
"I love you."
"I will always love you Jinx Honeychurch.” He says as he walks away into the mist that had slowly been rising around us.
”He’s a good guy, Jean.” He says turning around and looking at me one last time. “He can love you just as much as I did but you have to let me go." He said as he disappeared fully into the mist. I ran after him, trying to find him again.
I couldn't. He’d gone. I had to move on.

I woke up in a cold sweat. There was no heavyness in my heart anymore… Could I have finally moved on? I needed to find Emmett.
Edward? I called to him knowing that he would know.
He’s hunting.
Can I go see him?
No! He would not be able to control himself. He is in hunting mode. You would just be another animal to him.
I need to talk to him. Tell me when he’s out of hunt mode.
Of course.

I walked over to the window, looking out over the grounds. The sun was still far below the horizon. I looked at the clock that floated above the door. It was 2:30am. I had only been asleep for five hours. I would be completely exhausted later on, but I couldn’t fall back to sleep.
I got into a pair of jeans and sweater, trying to bide more time. After I got dressed I fixed my hair and walked down to the common room with my book. Snuggling into the couch in front of the fire, I started to read.

I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes, I was covered with a blanket and Emmett was sitting on the floor at my feet reading my book. I let out a tired laugh. His head shot up and looked at me, his eyes a brilliant amber-gold colour.
“What?”
“You, reading.”
“Edward’s the only one who gets to read?”
“No, just I wouldn’t have picked you to read.” I say moving my feet closer towards me, so he could sit on the couch, beside me.
“I wouldn’t have picked you to be reading a Star Wars book.” He said taking my cue and sitting beside me.
“I guess we’re even then.”
“Yup.”
We sat watching the flames lick the fireplace walls for what seemed to be ages. Finally, I built up the courage to talk first.
“Emmett, about last night,”
“It’s fine. Bella explained about the Twins candy.”
Edward, let me into his head. Please.
Jean…
Please. It’s better that I know what he’s thinking now.
What is she doing? Come on Jinx. Tell me that it wasn’t the candy. Not all of it.
“I – I’m not-”
Maybe it’s the fire, but she looks so tired. It must be more of those dreams about her old flame. I took my words from his thoughts. I would be honest with him.
“I had a dream about Cedric tonight.” I said looking down at the corner of the blanket that was in my hands.
“Are you okay?” He said moving closer to me. I nodded.
“He told me that it was okay if I moved on. He told me that I had to let go of him, that he was holding me back. I don’t think he’s going to come back, Em.” I said leaning into his open arms. His ice-cold-rock-hard body eased the heat I felt from the fire.
“He’s right you know.” Emmett said after a while.
“I know.” I said looking up at him. He looked down at me, and our noses nearly touched. Cedric’s words echoed in my head He’s a good guy, Jean. He can love you just as much as I did. Finally, letting go of Cedric, I placed my hands on either side of Emmett’s face and kissed him. No candy involved.
My warm, soft, human lips met his cold, hard, vampire ones and they moved together. Not even with Cedric had I felt that zing… That thrill. We broke apart as Alice and Jasper walked into the common room arm in arm, whispering to each other.
“Morning, Emmett, Jinx.” Alice said calmly walking past, with a sparkle in her eye. That knowing sparkle. They disappeared up the stairs. I would have to talk to pixie girl later. I let out a small laugh. I looked up at Emmett. He had a huge grin on his face.
“You didn’t have any candy that time.” He said.
“No candy.” I replied. I crept back into his arms and closed my eyes.
“You can sleep now. I’ll look out for you.” I heard him whisper in my ear, with a kiss that got lost in my hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
xoKelsixo's Chapter.