Evergreen

Lucky Bastard

My brother's gray eyes pierced through the wet glass of the diner,gazing towards my general direction. To think I used have the same eyes, bestowed to us by our dear mother. That was all in the past – the time when I was still human. I had let myself go, but not in the ways mortals do. I got entangled in the web of lust, rage, and blood, which was still difficult to resist even after so many centuries. But my dear brother had learned to control the thirst. Lucky bastard...Now my eyes were the color blood - a bright crimson red. I left the tree I was leaning on for support and traveled deeper into the forest.At least I was content with my life and way of living. Nicholas was stuck with that blasted Viola of all people. What did I know? Maybe he really loved that girl. It had been hundreds of years since they had been together. Personally, being with someone – anyone for that matter – for such a long period of time would enough to drive anyone insane. I couldn't hide my amusement of the images I evoked in my brother's mind. It was his wedding way – the day he would have married the love of his life. Funny, she had been my love as well, and she even carried my child. The irony of it all...I knew I was angry and jealous of him, but this wasn't any ordinary sibling rivalry. It was more of a silent war. A sweet fragrance - human blood to be exact - wafted in the forest air, mixing with the scent of pine and wet earth. I allowed the scent to pull me towards it, intoxicating all my senses like a drug. My feet barely touched the ground. Finally, once I was sure I was close enough, I heard giggles, drunken giggles to be more precise. A disappointed frown tugged at the corners of my lips. I didn't like alcohol in my blood. It tended to taint the sweetness of it all, but the scent was much to intoxicating to pass up.
I ventured closer, the scent becoming stronger, when I spied a woman with dark hair. I skulked behind her, practically licking my lips. It amused me to no end seeing how she didn't even sense my presence. Ah, drunk people these days... Their alcoholic consumption is the one thing that never changes in the span of centuries. I bared my fangs, gently
pushing her dark tendrils from her neck. As I finally plunged my teeth in her fragile
neck, a pained scream ripped from her throat, echoing in the pouring rain. I quickly quieted her, entrancing with whatever images I popped into her head. Her blood rushed down my throat. So sweet, so satisfying, so addictive! I allowed the body to drop on the ground. She was dead already so why not have a little fun with it? I gathered half of my true strength and even some of the pent-up anger. I kicked her squarely in the stomach – imagining it was my dear brother’s body I was beating – and another kick just for the heck of it. Her lifeless body simply rolled onto her back, rivulets of blood dripping from her neck and onto the wet earth.
I could not get rid of what I become nor did I even want to. I honestly liked it. A few seconds later the dead body evaporated, transforming into a smoky steam. It ascended upwards towards the dark clouds, leaving behind only a small pool of blood. I took a languid step back, resting my back against a tree. I slid against the cool bark until I reached the ground. As I inclined wet head to lie against the trunk, I allowed memories to flow into my mind – memories and nightmares.
***
***
***********************************************************************
"But I love you, Matthew," I heard Gianna whine, her perfect lower lip contorted into a slight pout. Her ginger colored hair cascaded down the white pillow and the blanket draped over her naked body. I placed my hand on her face, gently running my fingers along the warm curve of her cheek. Her eyes slowly closed shut. I could feel the warmth of the cheek, see the soft flush from when we made love. Of course I knew I was asking way too much, and it would be quite risk if we truly wanted to be together. My lips captured hers, finding myself hypnotized by her soft, warm mouth. Its suppleness and heat… it was something I wish I had right now, to take away the cold emptiness I felt at that moment.

"And I love you, but I need you to do this," I whispered. She abruptly opened her eyes.

"Why?" she asked, seeming very much like a little child who didn't understand a school lesson.

"Because he killed my mother," I told her, and she rolled her eyes.

This wasn't the first time I told her. I pressed my lips against her cheek and neck, continuing on to her shoulder, and down her arm to her fingers. It was with those fingers who held me with so much love and strength. It was that love I needed now.

***
**********************************************************************
"This is your chance, kill him," I shouted to Gianna.

"No… how can I kill him –" Gianna began saying, but i cut her off.

"Simply with a knife," I told her. She simply shook her head.

She was still beautiful: Her ginger colored hair had gotten a little longer. Her face was still heart shaped, and her eyes still a lively brown. She walked back and forth in the library, contemplating something her in her mind, when she abruptly stopped. She looked directly at me, her eyes full of watery tears. She was biting her lip, looking aged and sick. I knew what that meant.

"You’re in love with him," I whispered. Gianna did not offer a response, standing silently in her place.

"You’re in love with him!" I shouted, rage and anger tinting my voice. She sobbed, hot tear rolling down her rosy cheeks.

"You’re in love with that bastard!" She moaned in the midst of her sobbing, walking up to me, her arms open wide to embrace me. When she finally appeared before me, all I could do was look at her, completely disgusted. Hurt flowed into the golden rings of her eyes, gazing intently into my own.

"Yes, I am." She dropped her arms to her sides when she realized that I didn't need comfort or plan on offering her any consolation.

"Are you happy... I am in love with him?!" She shouted, rage shining in her bright eyes. I was taken aback. I had never seen her so angry before.

"And I hate you for making me do this!" Suddenly her arms flew to her abdomen, her eyes dropping to her stomach. Then she raised her gaze to me. It was too late. With the powers obtained by newfound immortality, I was already near her neck. As I plunged my fangs deep into her flesh, she didn't even bother to scream.

“Matthew…” she whispered. She already lost so much blood.

I released Gianna from my grasp, laying her dying body on the ground. Then came her last words.

"I am having your baby…" Then her eyes finally slid to a close. Never to be opened again.

***
************************************************************************
I got up and screamed in rage, my voice sound as fierce as an angry lion. Droplets of rain pounded on my hot skin, washing away any remnants of blood on my face. I screamed again, but I knew that no one would bother to see what the sound was. Those stupid little humans…. They would probably think that the sound was just thunder. I finally gave up, letting almost all my rage out of my systems in two, loud screams. I fell onto my hand and knees in defeat, feeling the rain on my back.

You have won, Gianna…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello there! I know Parisain_Luv_Affair already introduced me, but I just wanted to personally say a little something something about my self.

I am Moonlit Serenade and I'm Parisain_Luv_Affair's editor/co-author to Evergreen. Mostly, I would be editing any her drafts and stuff, but you may see something I personally wrote. We'll see as the story progresses!

Anyways.... PLEASE COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, WHATEVER. Feedback is love, folks, and I like feeling love. <3

Thank you to all those who did subscribe and comment. It means a lot to the both of us!