Never Tear Us Apart

Cause Of Death

*Gerard’s P.O.V*

I woke up with a fright.

I slowly pulled my head up and looked at the clock. 10:45.

Turns out I had fallen asleep after I had collapsed on the bed earlier.

I rolled over and saw that there was no Anna in sight.

She’s probably still downstairs.

I reluctantly got up, groaning as I did so, and slowly made my way down the stairs.

Yep, just as I thought.

Anna was asleep, hunched over her books, with her head down on the table.

I bent down slightly and picked her up in my arms.

She stirred before snuggling herself to my chest.

I walked back up the stairs into our bedroom and pulled the covers back, before gently placing Anna in the bed.

Anna turned as I covered her again, and gently kissed her forehead.

I walked over to my side of the bed and changed my shirt and jeans before sliding in next to Anna and softly wrapping my arms around her…

I woke up the next morning with the sunlight shinning through the curtain.

I looked over and saw that Anna’s half of the bed was empty. Which is odd, considering it’s Anna, who would live in bed if given the chance.

I sat up slowly when I heard a blender turn on.

Anna must be cooking, which was also odd, considering how early it was.

I got out of bed and stretched.

I walked down the stairs and sighed.

The house was completely clean. Hell, the furniture was even rearranged.

“How long have you been up for?” I asked, sitting at the counter.

“Hmm… About five hours?” Anna replied.

“You’ve been up since three?” I said, dumb founded.

“Yeah, about that.” Anna shrugged, turning quickly towards the fridge.

I stared blankly at her.

She turned around and looked at me for a few seconds.

“Don’t start.” Anna warned, knowing what I was going to say next.

“Anna, just think about what happened last-” I started.

“No! I said don’t start! If you’re going to start, then leave.” Anna said sternly.

Oh crap, here come the frequent mood swings.

I sighed.

“Do you want pancakes?” Anna asked quietly.

“Yes please.” I mumbled, burying my head in my hands on the counter.

I closed my eyes just as the phone rang.

Who the hell would be calling this early?

I picked it up, seeing I was right next to it.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hi… Am I speaking to a relative of David Worthington?” A deep but kind voice said on the other end of the phone.

“Yes. I’m his son-in-law.” I said, looking around the room and seeing Anna had left a few seconds ago.

“Oh good. Gerard Way is it?” The man guessed.

“Yep. That’d be me.” I said.

“Well hi, I’m Sergeant James. I’m working with Sergeant Killbourne on Mr. Worthington’s death…” Sergeant James said professionally.

“Hi…” I said, starting to get confused.

“I called you this morning to inform you about the cause of your father-in-law’s death.” Sergeant James said.

Fuck, it hadn’t really hit me until now. He was dead. Gone…

“Yep.” I said slowly.

“By what we’ve uncovered, it seems that Mr. Worthington was driving through an intersection when a car unexpletively pulled out, causing Mr. Worthington to hit the brakes hard as the car collided violently with his truck… Now it was the fact that the truck and car skidded along the road five meters, going at an astounding speed, before the truck hit a pole. The whole front end of the truck was pushed in, so he died instantly.” Sergeant James explained.

I could feel tears start to well up in my eyes.

David Worthington. That man was indescribable. Too amazing for words really… He welcomed me into his family with open arms.

I remember being so incredibly nervous before I met Anna’s parents.
At the time, I had just gotten over my drug and alcohol problems, and was sober for about three months… I was scared more to the fact of what they would think of me; I was that alcoholic, drug abusing, depressive and suicidal rock star their daughter was going out with… It didn’t look too good.
But it was when her Dad pulled me aside to have a word with me was when I really started to freak out. I was scared he was going to threaten me saying if I ever hurt her he’d come after me with his gun. Of course, he didn’t do that, he just said that if I hurt her, there’d be trouble, which I completely understand; the man was protective of his daughter, plus they were insanely close. There was nothing that was going to get in between them. Nothing.

“How is the other guy? The one that hit David?” I asked.

“He’s fine actually. Just a few cuts and bruises… But, he will be charged with reckless driving.” Sergeant James said.

“Now, I can’t seem to get a hold of Mr. Worthington’s wife…” Sergeant James started.

“Don’t worry, I’ll tell them.” I assured, cutting him off.

“Well that’d be great. Thank you… Have a good day Sir.” Sergeant James said politely.

“Thank you, same to you.” I said.

I hung up the phone as Anna happily walked into the room again.

“Who was that?” Anna asked, coming up behind me and wrapping her arms around me from behind.

Fuck, what was I meant to tell her? How was I meant to tell her?

Anna started to rub her hands in small circles at the bottom of my stomach and lightly kiss my shoulder.

“Anna…” I started, standing up.

“What?” Anna said, a worried look on her face.

“That was Sergeant James… He said he was working with Sergeant Killbourne on your Dad’s case.” I said, trying my best not to make it sound as bad as it was.

“I know who he is.” Anna said quietly, looking down.

“Yeah, well… That was him, and he said that they found out the cause of death…” I said softly.

Anna looked up at me with sadness in her eyes.

“Some guy pulled out of an intersection too early and swiped your Dad. The truck slid across the road and slammed into a pole.” I sighed.

Even though Anna avoided my glance, I could see tears were starting to well up in her eyes.

“What am I going to do Gerard?” Anna whispered, taking a step towards me.

“He’s gone… He was always there for me, and now he’s gone… I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do.” Anna whispered, heartbroken.

“Everything’s going to be okay… Trust me.” I whispered, pulling Anna closer to me.

“No it’s not.” Anna whispered.

I could feel her tears start to soak up in my shirt.

“I don’t want him to leave me.” Anna sobbed.

“None of us want him to leave.” I said quietly, feeling my own tears start to well up again.

“Gone. Gone forever.” Anna whispered.

Anna sniffed as she lifted her head up to look up at me.

“You know, the last thing he said to me… The last thing I heard him say was how proud he was of me… Because of what I’d been through and gotten over. And what I was now…” Anna said quietly, smiling slightly.

“And he said how well I have done to have someone like you.” Anna smiled.

I sighed and hugged Anna closer to me, letting my own tears slowly make their way out…

____________________________________________
Comments and opinions help me... *hint hint*
:)