Status: You guys were great! Thank you! Be on the look out for my new story, Bottom of the Bottle.

The Forbidden Fruit

Chapter 3

“I know it’s only the third day, but I decided to give you guys an essay!” Mr. Ward smiled, clasping his hands together.

“Is it voluntary?” Melissa Jones asked, raising her hand at the same time.

“No, you all,” He paused to look at each one of us, “Have to do it.”

“What’s it about?” Jimmy Fron piped up.

“It’s about last school year.” Mr. Ward smiled, “It’s due on Monday, and you have every class from now until then to work on it.”

“How long does it have to be?” Melissa asked.

“Two pages, double spaced. But feel free do go above two pages.” Mr. Ward smiled.

“What about one and a half?” Jimmy asked and I rolled my eyes.

“No. This is a really easy topic to write about. Just write about anything that happened last school year. Okay? Get to work.” Mr. Ward turned back to his desk and began writing something in a blue planner.

I looked down to my desk and tapped my pencil against the desk. I quickly began writing down a web of my ideas and thoughts about my up and coming essay. About 20 minutes later, I had a rough draft planned out and quickly began putting things away. Not even 30 seconds later the bell rang and there was a rush to get out of the room.

“Maria?” Mr. Ward called out to me, “Can I speak to you a minute?”

“Yes.” I spoke quietly, hanging back until all of the kids left.

“I was wondering if you could hang out after school and help me decorate this classroom, it’s quite bland.”

“Of course Mr. Ward.” I nodded, shifting my backpack over both of my shoulders.

“Please call me Derrick. Mr. Ward is so… formal.”

“Okay… Derrick.” I giggled, turning my head away from him and to the door.

“But only when no students are around.” He smiled, “Have to follow code.”

“Of course.” I nodded, “Is there anything else?”

“No.” He nodded his head, “Oh, let me write you a pass.”

-------------------------

I was waiting patiently in Biology for school to end. I had to admit, I was excited to be helping out Derrick. I was curious to see what I had to help decorate with. It had to be some cool indie-chic decorations, nothing dorky like a “Learning is fun!” poster. The bell let out a shrill cry and the student scrambled to get out of the building and onto their more exciting lives. I packed up all my things and headed over to Derrick’s room, giving a quiet knock.

“Come in.” Derrick called, and I slowly opened the door.

“So you just fill this side out, and then read that section right there,” He pointed somewhere on the sheet, “And write a paragraph about it.”

“Okay, thank you.” The student smiled and walked past me.

“Well hello, Maria.” Mr. Ward smiled, closing the door behind me.

“So what are we doing today?”

“Well, I was going to hang up some pictures of famous writers and such.” He handed me a stack of posters, “And put the schedule on the board in nice writing.”

I nodded, “I think I can do that.”

He handed me some tape and took half of the stack back, starting at the whiteboard and taping them around the edge. I walked over to the back wall and hung them up on the top, trying to be as alphabetical with their names as possible.

“Do you know what time it is?” He asked me, turning around to look at me.

I pulled out my phone, “2:30.”

“Oh, crap.”

“What?” I asked, putting up the last picture.

“I have to… be somewhere at 3.”

“Oh, well, I can write the schedule on the board tomorrow morning if you’d like.” I offered, climbing down from the table.

“Could you?” He asked, his eyes pleading.

“Yeah, no problem.” I waved him off, picking up my backpack.

“Well, I’ll see you then.” He smiled, waiting for me to leave his room.

“Bye Derrick.” I smiled back at him, walking out to my car.

------------------------

I picked up my ringing cell phone, “Hello?”

“Hey baby!”

“Hey, Dad!” I smiled, walking into my room.

“I was wondering, what are you doing this weekend?”

“Nothing, really.” I shrugged.

“Well, you know how Nancy and I just got engaged?”

“Yeah?” I smiled, flopping onto my bed.

“Well, we realized we were pregnant!” He exclaimed.

“That’s so great!” I shrieked.

“So we’re having a baby shower this weekend, on Satuday.”

“I’ll definitely be there.”

“Alright, it’s at my house at four.”

“Why are you having it so early?” I asked, “Isn’t she just a few months along?”

“Yeah, but we’re going to have our honeymoon before the wedding, since there will be so much going on after.”

“That’s pretty radical of you, Dad.” I smiled.

“I know, that’s me, Radical Dadical.”

“Be quiet.” I laughed, “Oh, I have to go. Bye!”

“Bye, baby!”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, how about.... 5 more comments.

I know this is goiong super slow! But, well, absense makes the heart go fonder.