New to all this

New to all this- It starts here

So ok, I'm not thick....at least i don't think i am. But when i was short of money and saw the ad in the paper for a writing contest, i thought easiest money i will ever make. I mean, how hard can it be?
I got out my old A4 pad and an HB pencil, sat in my favourite place by the window to wait for excellence to jump out of me and on to the paper. Guess what? It didn't happen! Tapping the pencil on my head didn't seem to help either!
I got up and turned the stereo on. It was a five cd changer so I'd have continuous music for at least the next five to six hours. My faves were in there, Elkie Brooks- Electric Lady, Carpenters- Their Greatest Hits, Whitesnake- Greatest hits, Guns'n'Roses- Appitite for Destruction and Dean Martin- The best of Dean Martin. Hey, how did that get in there! I changed it over for my Heart compilation. I set the machine to repeat all and sat back down to my work.
The A4 lined paper stared at me and i stared back. The gaps between the lines seemed to be getting bigger! I felt like at any moment i could just squeeze through.
Right! Time for a tea break!
I think it's quiet amazing how long you can make a cup of tea last if it helps you put off something you should be doing. Saying that, I did make sure i made the cuppa in my big Eeyore christmas mug. The last sip was a little cold and sweet but was gone all too soon.
Quick toilet break and i could put it off no longer.
Rifts of Sweet Child O'mine were coming from the stereo as i picked up the pad and pencil. I wrote my name in the top right hand corner and felt strangely confident of a brilliant start.
♠ ♠ ♠
End of chapter one