Status: Active! :D

The Diary of a Secret.

Chapter Three: Conflict.

"Mrs. Doge!" Albus called, making her halt in surprise, "That...won't be necessary. As you know, she's sleeping, and, we wait much longer, we'll be late!"

Albus sounded worried, but there was an underlying desperation that only Aberforth could sense.

She looked at them, and then at the grandfather clock behind them.

"I suppose you're right, Albus," she nodded, "We must be going. Now, since we are short on time, we must travel by Floo Network. You have Floo Powder, of course?"

"Yes, Mrs. Doge, it's-"

"On top of the fireplace." Aberforth was stunned that the words had come from his own mouth. It wasn't just the fact that he had spoken, but he had interrupted his older brother. He saw a twitch of annoyance flash across Albus's face, but nothing more than that.

"Oh, alright then. To the train station!" Mrs. Doge said, not noticing the silent exchange.

****
Aberforth sat alone, in his own compartment, on the Hogwarts Express, when he saw a familiar face appear at the doorway. The face slid open the door, and sat down. He was, surprisingly, alone.

"That was close. Back at the house, I mean," Albus exhaled. Aberforth just looked at him, with a scowl etched in his young, boyish face.

"What's got you?" Albus asked, seeing the irritation in his brother's gaze.

"What were you thinking, telling Doge's mum that Ariana's ill? We could have so easily lost her, and you know it!" Aberforth finally exclaimed.

"Oh, come off it! You know as well as I do that Elphias's mum is as blind as a bat when it comes to Healing. She would have though Ariana had but a common cold!" Albus retorted.

"Sure, but what about whenever Ariana was upset this morning? You didn't do a thing! You never do anything about her! You don't bother with her, and leave me to her!" Aberforth nearly shouted.

"The nerve you've got saying that! At least I actually help Mum. You just play with your goats all the time, and-"

"That's a lie! I help Mum loads more than you do! You think Ariana would still even be alive and well if I weren't around? Seeing as I'm the only one she listens to-"

"You? Ha! She only listens to you because you've got nothing better to do than fawn over her and your damn animals!" Albus shouted, not caring who heard.

Aberforth snorted, "I fawn over her because someone ought to! Seeing as you're working on your future, and Mum doesn't give a damn-"

"Mother certainly does give a damn! D'you think she'd work as hard as she does if she didn't give a damn?"

"She only 'works' hard because she trying to get away from us! You saw her this morning, she left as soon as Ariana got out of control! She doesn't want to deal with anything difficult, and you know it! So she leaves it for you to handle, and then you leave it for me to handle! You're so caught up in what's coming that you don't pay attention to what's going on around you! And when you're off dreaming and planning for the future, I'm left with our poor sister, who only wants a little love and understanding from more than just one person! Is anyone but me there to give her that? I think not! You're busy studying and Mum's always out somewhere! Merlin knows what kind of things happen when I'm not there to calm her down! You know damn well that I'm the only one who's ever thought about Ariana's well-being. You and Mum just don't want people to think we've got a lunatic for a sister!" Aberforth was out of breath, his muscles tensed, and fists clenched into tight balls. He was shaking a little.

Albus just stared at his brother, his face softening from hard and cold to shameful and sad. He looked down, and quietly left the compartment without a word, leaving Aberforth to fall down onto the seats, and rest his face in his hands.

This is going to be a long year, he thought sadly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this one's REALLY short, but I thought I'd give an insight on what's been going on inside the boys' heads, and a little taste of how things have been handled in the past.
Comments make me happy, and they let me know what to look at writing in the future, so it would be really helpful if you gave, like, 5 seconds of your time to do that. Thanks!

Love&Inwauh,
MusicallyMe
PS: Fionnuala(Reb.) without you, this story would be nothing! Thanks for the editing!