The New Girl

A turning point... wait a turning point?!

"Oh, sorry." I repeatedly muttered as i ran into person after person in the cold, crowded hall way. It was my first day at this school, and i had already achieved the status i had at my old school: invisible. I preferred it that way, so it made it that much easier when my family had to disappear again... just like all of the other times. See, my parents are big drug dealers and when the wrong person finds out, we have to disappear again... leave behind our old names, every thing but our memories and start over. The only person that i had as a friend was Ash, for she had lived with us since we took her in at thirteen. My only friend... the only one who knew my real name... one of the few that remembers that time... when i was called Liz. Liz, Liz, Liz... that name sounded so weird as I said it over and over in my mind... as if it were the name of a stranger. No one had said that name to me in almost three years now. I had learned to stop using it, and it had become yet another one of my identities. Yet another one of my personalities, and believe me, I had too many to count. Then, Ash popped into my head.... i had not seen her all day, it felt weird not being in her presence for once... almost as if the day wasnt real, or complete. Then, as if on cue...

"SPUD! SPUD!" I heard my name being called. Yes, I had chosen for my name to be Spud this time, so what? I felt like having an exotic name this time around. I whirled around to see my black and red haired friend running towards me, her hazel eyes filled with excitement.

"What?" I asked her when she caught up with me.

"Do you have lunch now?" She asked, with almost too much excitement in her voice.

"Yeah, why?" I asked her airily.

"Great, I found some people for us to sit with." Ash smiled. Ash was like that, very gregarious and well liked by every one. And the great thing was, she always found a way to keep her nickname Ash. But any way, it was just like her to have made friends already... she was the kind of person that even if the situation seemed totally hopeless, she found something to smile about... I just dont know how she does it.

"Uhh" I hesitated.

"Oh, come on Spud!" Ash sighed, grabbing my wrist and dragging me down the hall, crashing me into every single person on her way, she's very *cough* observant. My wrist was killing me by the time that Ash pulled me through the cold steel double doors to the cafeteria. The cafeteria showed how.... "diverse" this school was... at all the tables sat preppies... i fucking hate preppies... well all the tables, that is, except for the table in the far right corner that stood out because of the massive amount of black that clothed the people that sat there.

Being the sarcastic smartass i am, i pointed to a random preppie table and said", Let me guess, we're sitting there."

"Oh shut up and follow me." Ash sighed and rolled her eyes. I followed her silently back to the table in the far right corner.

"Hey Joey." Ash greeted the guy sitting on the end.

"Oh, hey Ash," He smiled at her. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh, you know exactly who... who else would she be?" Ash laughed

"Of course, well take a seat!" Joey motioned to two stool/chairs across from him, and we both sat down, with me across from Joey. Ash, of course, stroke up an interesting conversation about why the sky is blue instead of green. She loved talking about stuff that nature clearly writes in stone. The sky will remain blue no matter what, not green, not orange, not the color of the fucking rainbow, but blue. I, as ussual, stayed silent.

"Hey, Spud." Joey called me. I merely gave him a slight nod to let him know that i had heard him. "Why are you not talking?" He asked.

"I'm not the social type." I said so low that Joey had to strain to hear.

"Is that so? It didnt sound like it from the stories that Ash told about you." Joey smiled.

"ASHHH!" I shrieked when i heard this. "You told them stories?!?" I really hate it when she tells stories about me... I dont know why, it just does, and she did it again! Geez, am i like a conversation starter or something? I prefer for some one to TALK to me in order to find out about me.. instead of already knowing something about me as if they are a stalker or something, is that so weird?

"Relax!" Ash giggled. "It was only the one about the time that you set the bottle rocket off in the middle of the hallway in middle school and burned down half of the school." I couldnt help but to laugh... that was one of my fondest memory, i had so much fun doing that, though getting expelled wasnt so much fun.

"Okay, I dont mind you telling that one." I relaxed.

"I know." Ash winked. Joey looked at me and smiled. Meeting Joey was a turning point, not only in who i was but in this story that im taking out time i could be playing my bass to tell you.