Sequel: Where Did We Go Wrong
Status: Completed. Everyone check out the sequel "Where Did We Go Wrong"!

I've Been Waiting for You to Make Your Move

Chapter 20

The final challenge had arrived. Today everyone would find out the Champion of the Triwizard Tournament. Of course I wanted either Harry or Cedric to win, them being my friends and representing Hogwarts and all. Now that the day had finally come it also meant that it was the last day of school.

I worked everything out with my mom, she wanted me home for the first week of vacation then I could spend the rest of it at Draco’s house. I thought it was a fair deal, I was happy with it. I was just surprised she actually agreed.

Hogwarts students along with the students of Durmstrang Institute, and the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic were escorted to the Quidditch pitch. A giant maze took place over the field, this should be interesting.

We were to sit by houses so I sat next to Draco with Audrey and Jasmine on the other side of me. I looked over the stands and noticed Ron; he smiled and waved at me. I smiled in return, I know he saw.

Cedric, along with his father, Harry, Fleur, and Viktor walked out onto the field. I looked over at Jasmine and she was smiling and waving at Cedric. I looked down at Cedric who saw Jasmine and was smiling just as big and waving back. I took another look at Jasmine and noticed she was mouthing something to Cedric, “Good luck,”

“Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position.” Dumbledore explained, “Now as Mr. Diggory…” Dumbledore paused to let everyone cheer.

“…And Mr. Potter…” Everyone cheered, “Are tied for first position…they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Mr. Krum…and Miss Delacour. The first person to touch the cup will be the winner!”

“I’ve instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should, at any point, a contestant wish to withdraw from the task…he or she need only to send up red sparks with their wands.”

“Contestants! Gather around quickly!” Dumbledore then huddled around them, whispering further information.

“Champions, prepare yourselves!” Everyone cheered.

“On the count of three. One,” Filch fired the cannon too soon, the contestants then entered the maze.

Everyone grew restless as they waited. Most people talked amongst themselves. I forgot to tell Draco the news, “Draco guess what?”

He turned to face me, “I’m not good at guessing games.”

I laughed, “My mom agreed to our arrangements for the summer. I just have to spend the first week of vacation with her.”

He smiled, somehow I got the idea he didn’t think I wanted to or would be allowed to, “Sounds good to me, Crabbe and Goyle always come up for summer so they’ll be there for part of the time. We can just ignore them if you want.”

“No, I’m fine with them.” I laughed.

“You’re spending the summer with Draco?” Audrey asked.

I blushed, “Uh, yeah.”

“So you’re not hanging out with Jasmine and me?” She sounded hurt.

“No, don’t worry. I’ll be able to.” I assured her.

It seemed to take forever, but it had only been about an hour. Fleur was the first one to come out; she wasn’t much good at these challenges. She looked terrified, like she had last challenge.

It wasn’t long until Krum came out, the look on Crabbe and Goyle’s faces were so disappointed. I knew Draco wanted him to win as well.

It was down to Harry and Cedric. I’d be happy with either winning so it was all good.

Out of nowhere Harry appeared, covered in dirt and what looked like blood. Everyone stood up and started to cheer. Something isn’t right, why isn’t Harry standing up?

Audrey, Jasmine, and I ran down to get a closer look. We heard Fleur let out a terrified scream, defiantly something isn’t right. We pushed out way through the crowd until we saw Harry; he was crying and hovering over a body…Cedric’s body.

Audrey and I tried to grab Jasmine, but we were too late. She was already down on the ground, next to Cedric’s body. I didn’t know how to react, what to think. How could this happen?

Dumbledore pulled Harry up off of the ground and walked him over to Audrey and me. I knew Dumbledore wanted us to comfort Harry. I pulled Harry into a hug. I heard him weeping in my ear. He held onto me tightly. I couldn’t imagine what just happened. I started to cry myself.

“Let me through! Let me through!” I heard a man shouting.

It was Cedric’s father, pushing his way to his son’s body, “That’s my son! That’s my boy!” He cried.

He fell down next to Cedric. Crying with Jasmine. His screaming grew louder; he pulled Cedric’s lifeless body close to him. Giving his son one last hug. Everyone was silent, everyone was hurt by this. What the hell happened in the maze?

“Harry, I have to get Jasmine. Stay with Audrey.”

I walked closer to Jasmine. She looked so lifeless, so empty. It’s not fair she has to go through this, it’s not fair this had to happen to him, “Jasmine c’mon,” I whispered, offering her my hand.

She looked up at me, tears stained on her cheeks, and slowly reached for my hand. I helped her up and rapped my arms around her.

“Everyone back to the castle, immediately! You’ll all be able to leave after an announcement tomorrow morning.” Dumbledore ordered.

This meant spending another night at Hogwarts for everyone. When we got back to the castle we were all to go to our house common rooms. Audrey and I brought Jasmine right to the girl’s dorm, “You need to get some rest.” I told Jasmine.

She didn’t even say anything, just curled up on her four-poster bed. I didn’t sleep that night, I don’t think anyone did.

“C’mon guys, we have to get to the Great Hall.” Audrey woke Jasmine and me up.

When we got to the Great Hall, it was crowded with students. We walked to the Slytherin table and sat next to Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Daphne.

“Today we acknowledge…a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know…was exceptionally hard working…infinitely fair-minded…and most importantly…a fierce, fierce friend.”

“Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see…Cedric Diggory was murdered…by Lord Voldemort! The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory.”

“Now the pain...we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me…and reminds us…that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues…our hearts beat as one.”

“In light of recent events…the bonds of friendship we’ve made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that…and we’ll celebrate a boy who was…kind and honest…and brave and true, right to the very end.” Dumbledore spoke.

Everyone was silent; something like this didn’t call for applause. Why would Voldemort kill Cedric…I had to talk to Harry, maybe he knew something more than we were being told.

Everyone left the Great Hall to go pack their things and say goodbye. The train would arrive in an hour, which didn’t give us a long time.

All my things were already packed. I brought them outside to meet up with everyone. I found Harry and Ron first; I ran up to them and hugged them.

“You’ll write to me this summer won’t you? Both of you?” I asked.

“Yes, every week.” Harry joked.

I laughed, “Don’t mock me. I’m serious. I want to keep in touch.”

“We’ll write to you,” Ron replied.

“Good. Harry can I ask you something?”

“Sure,”

“Why did Voldemort kill Cedric?” I whispered.

He looked down, “He was trying to kill me. Cedric was in the way.”

“Harry it’s not your fault, don’t even think that. Did he say anything else?”

“Who?” He asked.

“Voldemort,” I whispered.

“I was right, about him being after you too. He told me, that he was coming for you.”

My heart beat fast in my chest; I thought I’d have a heart attack, “When…”

“I’m not sure,” Harry looked worried.

“Renae, we won’t let him get to you.” Ron tried to comfort me.

“There you are!” Audrey ran up to us with George and Fred behind her.

“Where’s Jasmine?” I asked Audrey.

“Over there,” She pointed to Jasmine looking over the wall.

I walked over to her, “Hi Jasmine,”

She didn’t respond.

“Listen, nothing could have been done. It couldn’t have been stopped. Don’t beat yourself up about it.”

She looked at me, tears in her eyes, “I cared for him so much, why did he have to be taken away? I didn’t do anything wrong, he didn’t do anything wrong.”

I pulled her into a hug, “Voldemort doesn’t keep track, or care about that. We’ll get revenge one day, don’t worry. Just remember the good times you had with him. He was lucky to have you.”

“Thank you,”

“We’re hanging out this summer when I get back.” I promised her, “Go say goodbye to Harry and the others.” I suggested.

She slowly trailed off in the direction of Harry, Ron, Audrey and everyone else.

“I was looking for you,”

I turned around to see Draco, I hugged him.

“Listen I’m sorry about Cedric, I know you were friends with him.”

“Thanks,”

“Will you write to me when you get home?” He asked.

“As soon as I walk through the door I’ll send an owl.” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm finally finished!
I'm hoping to write a squeal soon, would anyone like that?
Comment please :D