Fate Is Leading The Way

Are You With Me Now?

Image

Nick's P.O.V.

I sat next to Hannah's hospital bed while she slept. Her chest rose and fell with each ragged breath she took. Her mom and my family were situated around the room all waiting silently for Hannah to wake. Fate also slept quietly in my arms, she had been sleeping when Hannah fainted.

The doctor said the reason Hannah fainted mostly likely was too much stress. He said taking care of a baby, moving, and worrying about me was too much for her body to handle. I blame myself for this happening; I had to bring everything up.

"When is she going to wake up?" Frankie's tired voice said speaking for the rest of us.

"Any minute now." Mom said setting a gentle hand on Frankie's shoulder.

I looked back at Hannah's unmoving face. I missed her smile already and it had only been a few hours. The doctor told us she could wake up any minute now or it could be days, it just depends on her. She needs to sleep and let her mind work through the stress she's been feeling lately.

"Denise you all should go get some sleep." Mrs. Adams said to my mom. "It could be awhile until she wakes up."

My mom looked at my dad and brothers and noticed their looks. She nodded and gave Mrs. Adam's a tight hug then ushered the family out of the room. Joe didn't move as the rest of the family filed out each saying goodbye to Mrs. Adams and a sleeping Hannah.

"Are you staying here?" Joe asked me.

"No. Nick you and Fay can come home and sleep." Mom interjected.

"I can't leave her." I said desperately.

Joe walked over to me and held his arms out. I looked down at my beautiful daughter and kissed her forehead before I set her in my big brothers arms. He held her gently like she was fragile and followed our family out. My mom kissed me on the head then left the room.

"You don't have to stay Nick." Mrs. Adams quietly said.

"I do." I replied looking back at Hannah.

We stayed like that all night, I refused to sleep; Mrs. Adams had been in and out of consciousness all night. I had to be awake when she woke up, I just had to be.

"I'm going to go home and take a shower. Call me if anything happens." Mrs. Adams said standing from her chair.
"I will." I replied with a yawn.

"You should consider going home soon too."

"I have to stay here." I replied.

She sighed before she left the room leaving me alone with Hannah. I moved my chair as close to her as I could and held her limp hand. I reached into my pocket and wrapped my fingers around a tiny box. I pulled the box out and opened it, inside was the promise ring I had given Hannah. I placed the ring onto her finger loving the way it looked on her. I kissed her hand then looked up at her beautiful face.

"Hey Hannah." I quietly said. "I hope you can hear me. I love you. I love you so much its killing me right now to see you like this. Please wake up. Fay, your mom, and my family and I want you to wake up. We need you to wake up."

With a sigh I laid my head on the side of the bed near our laced fingers. I watched the lights reflect across the promise ring. I don't know how long I was there before sleep took over my exhausted body.

Hannah's P.O.V

There was darkness all around me. It consumed me, all I see is black. There is no way I can come out of this, I'm just too tired and scared to try.

"Hey Hannah."

My heart began to pound as the angelic voice of Nick broke through the darkness.

"I hope you can hear me."

'I can hear you!' I tried desperately to scream.

"I love you. I love you so much its killing me right now to see you like this. Please wake up. Fay, your mom, and my family and I want you to wake up. We need you to wake up."

Finally the darkness was fading, slowly, but it was still fading. I had to come out of this for Fay and Nick. As the light fought the darkness I could hear the beep of a machine and soft breathing. The warm feeling of someone else's hand wrapped around mine made the light brighter. Then suddenly I was looking up at the white ceiling of the room I was in. I turned my head to the side and found a heart monitor and next to that Nick. He was slumped over the edge of the bed his eyes closed and his hand clasped tightly around mine. I lifted my right hand and ran it through Nick's soft curls. He hummed in his sleep as I continued to play with his amazing curls.

"Nick." I whispered my voice hoarse from not using it.
He sighed in sleep his body shifting slightly to find a more comfortable position.

"Nick." I said a little louder. He groaned signaling he was awake. "Nick wake up."

He raised his head from the bed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He straightened up still not noticing me watching him. Then he looked over at me. It took him a second to realize I was awake but when he did a huge smile crossed his face.

"Your awake!" He exclaimed jumping up and hugging me.

I wrapped my arms around him ignoring the pain running through my body. He pulled away slightly to kiss me quickly then he placed his forehead on mine.

"I'm so glad your awake." He whispered.

"What happened?"

He sighed before moving away from me to sit back down on the chair he had been sitting on.

"You fainted."

"I fainted? Why am I in the hospital?"

"You hit your head really hard. I was scared something bad had happened to you." Nick said guilt weaving into his words. "The doctor said it was stress that made you faint."

"Stress?" I asked confused.

"I guess." Nick said with a sad sigh.

"You blame yourself." I stated.

"Of course I do. I had to bring all this stuff up." Nick said hanging his head. "Its all my fault."

"No its not Nick."

"It is." He said standing up his hands balling into fists. "I shouldn't have ruined the night by yelling at you."

"I was yelling too." I said shaking my head. "Stop beating yourself up about this. I'm a single mom of a one year old, of course I'm stressed."

"Its my fault your a single mom. Its my fault you had to move here. Its my fault you had to leave school and your friends." Nick said his eyes holding mine. "Its all my fault."
"You have a really big ego."

"What?" He asked confused.

"You really think all my problems involve you?" I asked. "Your wrong."

"But I am the cause of all your problems."

"No your not." I said sitting up slowly. Nick hurried over to help me sit up. "I didn't want to involve you in Fay's life. I wanted to move back here. I didn't mind leaving school or my friends. You are not the cause of any of my problems."

Nick sat back down in his seat and rubbed his eyes. He picked up his phone and checked the time.

"I should call your mom." He said quietly.

I nodded then sat back and closed my eyes. Nick quickly called my mom and his family telling them I was awake. We sat in silence waiting for everyone else to come to the hospital. I wanted to say so much to him, to take away the guilt I know he must be feeling right now, but what could I say? I already told him he wasn't to blame but he won't listen, he's so stubborn. I moved my hand up to rube my eyes that's when i saw something shiny and silver on my ring finger. At a closer look I saw it was the promise ring Nick gave me when we first went out, the same ring I gave back to him when Selena was being a bitch to me. I looked at Nick questioningly he just looked away quickly.

"Nick?"

"I was going to give it back to you last night, but then-" He didn't finish his sentence but he did turn to look at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3