‹ Prequel: Love Bites
Sequel: Everlasting Love

Second Chances

Chapter 16

“Jacob?” I yelled bursting through the front door to my house with Seth right behind me; I ran into the living room where Charlie and some of the pack are. I sign with relief as I hug Jared, Paul and Leah; Dad wheeled himself into the room and I give him a long hug before I ran up the stairs, down the hallway and into Jacob’s room.

“Jacob” I whimper as I saw that some of his bones are broken.

“Alex” Jacob says quietly with pain flooding his voice; I quickly hug Sam, Embry and Quil before walking over to Jacob who’s laying on his bed.

“What happened?” I whispered as Jacob carefully leaned his torso up; I slide in behind him placing my legs on either side of his body, Jacob slowly leans down resting his head on my chest.

“Leah found a leech that was hiding so she thought she would take it on by herself; Jacob saw the leech spring towards Leah so he leapt and knocked her out of the way, Jacob ended up getting slammed into” Sam explained to me.

“I had to protect the pack” Jacob muttered.

“Stupid dog” I frowned looking down at Jacob’s broken bones.

“But I’m your stupid dog and you love me” Jacob smile looking up at me.

“Whatever” I mumbled rolling my eyes and smiling slightly.

Tears began to form in my eyes again as I stroked Jacob’s hair off his face; my fingertips brushed across his forehead gently. I smiled when I heard Jacob sign closing his eyes and letting his body relax; Seth quietly walked into the already crowded room.

“Billy just called Dr. Cullen. He’s on his way down. Sam he said you wouldn’t mind” Seth informed us since Dad couldn’t come up stairs.

“That’s fine” Sam nodded then turned his attention back to Jacob.

“Alex, how are you doing?” Sam asked me with concern and worry in his black eyes.

“Oh I’m fine” I reassured them all; I was grateful that they already knew what happened thanks to Seth, I was never going to talk about what I’d seen today.

“Never scare me all that again Jacob” I warned my big brother.

“It’s nothing Als, I’ll be fine” Jacob rolled his eyes.

“But I promise” Jacob added on to his reply when he saw me frowning at him.

“Dr. Cullen is here” Embry informed us; we heard Carlisle and Dad talking downstairs and then people walking up the stairs.

“Jake’s right in here” I heard Seth say and then he popped his head in to make sure everyone was alright before he let Carlisle in; I was shocked when I saw Jasper walk in behind Carlisle. Carlisle walked straight towards Jacob and I while Jasper’s gaze ran over Sam, Quil and Embry but stopping at me.

“Quil, Embry” Sam said motioning with his eyes to the door; he wanted them to leave and give Carlisle some space. When they left Sam walked into the furthest corner of Jacob’s room; he didn’t want to get in anyone’s way so I smiled at him when his eyes landed on mine.

“I’m fine” Jacob grumbled when Carlisle’s hands started to make their way towards him.

“Shut it Jacob” I murmured quietly still brushing my fingertips across his forehead; Carlisle smiled at me when I said that, Sam chuckled slightly and Jasper smirked.

I bit my lip as I watched Carlisle work on my brother; the tears flowed down my cheeks when Carlisle had to re-break Jacob’s bone and my stomach churned every time Jacob groaned in pain.

“Als, please don’t cry” Jacob begged looking up at me; a tear had landed on his head.

“You know I hate it when you cry” Jacob said softly bring his good hand up to caress my cheek; I leaned into his hot hand more.

“Sorry” I whispered as Jacob wiped my tears away but more kept falling.

Jacob kept swearing through the pain so I started stroking his cheek as well; I leaned down and kissed his forehead. I was starting to get hot from Jacob’s body temperature but I had an idea; I looked over to Jasper who was watching my every move, I smiled as I stretched my hand out to him. My smile widened when Jasper slowly walked over to me; he grabbed my hand gently and I placed his cold hand on my forehead, I instantly started feeling better. Everyone, apart from Jacob and I, chuckled when they saw what I was doing; Jasper caress my cheek rubbing his thumb softly across my flushed cheek.

“Hi Jasper” Jacob said slightly through his teeth; my eyes widened in shock but a wide smile form on my lips, I quickly looked up to Jasper and then back to my brother.

“Hello Jacob” Jasper replied politely in his deep southern voice.

Then I watched as Jacob’s eyes fluttered close and he started snoring softly; all the drugs that Carlisle had given him finally took their toll on Jacob’s body, when I knew Jacob was fast asleep I decided that it would be the best idea if I let him sleep. I tried my hardest to push Jacob’s heavy body off of me but I wasn’t at all successful; Sam was by my side in a second, he gently lifted Jacob up and Jasper scooped me up into his arms. Dad thanked Carlisle and Jasper for coming and we both waved them off; Jasper even kissed me in front of my Dad before he left, I turned to see Dad with a slight smile on his lips.

Bella came to see Jacob shortly after that; they had a serious talk in Jake’s room while I made dinner, Dad talked about his day to kept my mind off what happened to me today. I went to bed early that night but I didn’t fall asleep; everything finally flooded my mind and that’s when the tears and sobs began, Jacob called my name so I ran into his room and cuddled up to him. After I finally calmed down we were able to fall asleep quite quickly; I fell into a deep dreamless sleep and I think Jacob slept the same way, nothing was going to wake me up not even Jacob’s snoring.