Status: Just testing whether it's readable! If you like it, comment and I'll keep writing!

If I Die Young

Here Comes the Sun

When I woke up the next morning, the air was filled with a buzz of excitement. By the time I made it to the cafeteria it was packed with excited students, whispering and giggling with their friends. I passed a group of girls talking excitedly about meeting 'real' boys. I guess the guys down here aren't real enough for them... I'm not some social outcast or anything, and I definitely don't relish spending the rest of eternity alone, but that's just it. I have eternity to get this figured out.

"Hey, mopey!" was the greeting that reached me as I neared my usual table. I looked up to see Helina, my best friend already seated. I guessed she was probably excited also, because Helina was always late for the start of classes. We talked idly for about 15 minutes while we waited for our guides to arrive.

A sudden hush alerted us to the entrance of the adults. "Students, form three single file lines and follow your leader into the towns you have been assigned. From there, you will make your way in pairs to your new schools." The groans and jealous farewells from friends who weren't selected to attend public school erupted from the hall as people began to move towards their lines. "Helina! I forgot to ask, which town are you going to?" I called, but it was too late, she was swallowed by the river of bodies.

I re-checked my sheet, and once sure of my destination, joined the line for Pryluky. Although I was nervous about my venture into a new school, I couldn't help but be curious about the world outside. Would I even recognize it? We moved along the corridor, and wrapped in my thoughts, I was oblivious to the pushing and shoving going on around me.

As I took my first steps into the sunlight my apprehension faded away. The world was so beautiful. Nothing like the scarred landscape I left behind so many nights ago. My spirits were even further lifted when I felt a tug on my hair and whipped around to find Helina smiling impishly behind a large boy who looked rather confused, thinking my scowl was meant for him. Knowing she was caught Helina joined me, and we continued slowly to the outskirts of the town.

As we passed the many small shops, Helina and I had to stop and stare. Sure, we'd been shopping since our move, but online shopping was nothing compared to this. We quickly fell behind, and our guide was no longer there to reprimand us, having left us at the town limits. Our window shopping was interrupted abruptly by a scream of "Hey! Watch out!" It didn't do us much good though, because by the time we realized what was going on, a boy on a bike was mere inches away from us. He tried to swerve, but that only caused him to hit me straight on. We landed in a pile on the road with a great "huff!" and when I looked around the boy was holding out his hand to me. "Hi, I'm Alik."
♠ ♠ ♠
Feodora's outfit