Status: completed!

Fiend

Suddenly Everything Has Changed

July 15th, 2013


I didn't know how to respond to Jason the day he came back. I felt like I saw a ghost when he was standing in front of me. In order to avoid answering his question, I pushed him away and ended up locking myself into the bathroom. All I remember is passing out in the bathtub. After I gained consciousness, I slowly opened the door and saw him ironing a shirt. I knew then that this living arrangement was permanent.

So he moved in with me. He claims he did it so I wouldn't be lonely. But I know it was because he doesn't trust me at this point in my life not to kill myself. I remember when I walked out of the bathroom that the first words he said to me were "you didn't lose that much blood, did you?". He pointed at my wrist with a cigarette from my stash dangling out of his mouth.

From then on out, I didn't know how I felt about him living with me. I didn't need a babysitter. Then he told me that he was even going to follow me to work, as Dennis from Chi Chi's gave him his job back due to the "excellent behavior he displayed that deemed him his parole". Little did he know that I barely had hours at work anymore due to my lack of interest in it.

But tonight was gonna be different within the household. I could sense it.

I got out of bed around rush hour and saw that Jason was again ironing a shirt. I stared at him for awhile as I tried to gather my thoughts. I guess he felt my eyes on him and immediately stopped what he was doing. He banged the iron upright on its board and balled his hand into a fist.

"What?" He sighed.

"Hostile much?" I scoffed and grabbed the milk from the fridge. The obnoxious soy milk that I have to drink because its Jason's favorite. Now I wished I wasn't so broke and could afford my own food.

"Sorry, I'm just really anxious. I got a date tonight." He proceed to put on the crisp shirt. As he was, I noticed a slight marking on his back symbolizing three letters. A gang tattoo? I didn't bother to ever ask him about it.

"What? Really?" Frosted Flakes will always be the best cereal.

"Yeah and she's coming here. So, I want to ask you to leave tonight."

I made an obnoxious laugh, "You're kicking me out of MY apartment?"

"Technically, this is my apartment. You barely have any money to pay your side of the rent and besides this was my place before you moved in."

"I can't believe you." The nerve he has. He knows I have no money to go anywhere or even to enjoy myself.

"You're being irrational Marina. Can you please just let me have the apartment to myself? At least until midnight." He pleaded.

"Why should I?"

"Look, I got you a shift at Chi Chi's tonight. 7 to 12. $6 dollars an hour plus all the tips are yours. I already confirmed it with Dennis." Jason tried to show me the text messages on his cell phone like I needed some proof.

"Whatever. Just give me some transportation money." I hold out my hand and wait as he digs a 20 out of his pocket.

"I'll see you around midnight." Jason mutters.

"Whatever." I slam my bedroom door shut as I get ready to serve the faces of hell.

Image


Did I really expect a different crowd? You had the same scumbags here since the last time I worked. But what can you do when you need the money? So I dealt with these pigs that were trying to glance up my skirt when I whizzed by or tried to slap my ass as a token of gratitude. Haven't they ever heard of respect? I felt like I needed some Aretha Franklin up in here.

Soon, one of the patrons took it too far.

"Here's your vodka tonic." I placed it on the table with a slam and tried to walk away as fast as I could.

"Wait baby" He grabbed hold of my wrist, the one that was recently gushing blood all over my apartment. "Don't you want your tip?"

"I don't want anything from you." I snarled.

He started to unzip his pants. The NERVE! Like we're not in a public place right now!

I slapped him across the face with my free hand and tried to release myself from his grip. He wasn't budging and I could tell from the look he was giving me that he was about to lash out. Instead, I got a wad of saliva on my cheek.

"Learn to take a joke, bitch." He let go of my wrist and I had no idea what to do with myself. Kicking him in the balls would have been the best outcome if I wasn't so in shock at that moment. But no, instead I stood there as stiff as a board.

Next thing I know when I proceeded back to reality, the guy was on the floor. Another man had the guy's shirt rolled up in his fist. I saw his face and immediately I fell to my knees on the floor. It was him.

My vocal cords weren't working. Any sign of sound that could come out of my mouth has left. It can't be. IT CAN'T. He told me he was never coming back! HE CAN'T BE HERE.

Finally a faint noise came out of my mouth, "Liam?"

He looked over at me with a quizzical expression and then flashed me that smile that had been haunting my dreams every night since he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Driving home the sky accelerates.
And the clouds all form a geometric shape.
And it goes fast, you think of the past.
Suddenly everything has changed.

- Flaming Lips

Woo, school started back up and I'm also in the process of creating an art portfolio so I've been busy, busy, busy! Just felt like I needed a release from all the stress so I decided to write this quick little do-da. 3 chapters left!

What do you think is going to happen to Marina? Leave your opinions in the comments!

comment/recommend/subscribe!