Change Your Ways

01/01

As she walked down the sidewalk of the streets of Baltimore, tears streaming down her face, Jacqueline Quinn knew she had fucked up. Big time.

Jac had a reputation. It wasn’t necessarily a good one, but it was there and before this night, she hadn’t cared much. She was just human, and she screwed up some times. But this time was different. This time, she knew she had did something she couldn’t take back.

”Alex Gaskarth!” she squealed, taking a sip of her drink of choice for the night. “Where have you been hiding out all night?”

He smirked. “Had a little too much to drink, did you Jac?”

“You act like I’m a lightweight.” She snuggled up to his arm and giggled. “You and I both know I am no where near such a thing.”


She tugged her jacket closer to herself as the cold Baltimore air hit her face. It brought with it a new sense of realization that what she had done last night couldn’t be undone. She sniffled and pulled her phone out of her pocket, dialing the number she had been dialing all afternoon as she took a right into a small coffee shop. She waited and waited, but no one answered. She wasn’t surprised really. After last night, she’d be surprised if no one talked to her again.

”Dance with me,” she said seductively. He eagerly agreed, making her laugh. “Down boy,” she joked as she pulled him out onto the make shift dance floor.

The two danced close for what felt like hours before Jac went in for the kill. She reached up behind his neck and pulled his head down, kissing him on the lips. The kiss heated up, like she knew it would, and before long she was whispering in his ear, “Upstairs?” to which he nodded.

Her excuse was he had always wanted her; he was just finally letting it be known to the world. His excuse was he was so drunk he had no idea if the girl in front of him was his girlfriend or someone else.


She couldn’t shake the memory from last night out of her head, no matter how hard she tried. She couldn’t believe what she had done. He was her best friend’s boyfriend. She couldn’t twist the story to make it right, not matter how hard she tried. Plain and simple, Jac had fucked up.

The two were tripping up the stairs they were going so fast. They got to the top before someone yelled her name. “Jac?” The tone of the voice questioning her was hurt, in disbelief.

She turned around and tried to focus on the figure at the bottom of the stairs. Alex turned to, but his gaze was a little quicker than hers. “Dani!” he exclaimed. He quickly pulled his hand from Jac’s and stumbled down the stairs. “Hey babe,” he mumbled, snuggling up to her.

She pushed him away, hurt. She looked up at Jac. “What were you doing?”

Jac’s head was spinning. She didn’t
know what she was doing. “I…” she trailed off, not sure what to tell her best friend.

“You were not seriously just going upstairs to screw my boyfriend, were you?” she demanded loudly, attracting a crowd.

“I… I didn’t—”

“Don’t feed me your bullshit, Jac. I’ve known since day one you’ve had the hots for Alex. I just didn’t think you’d try and steal him from me, you good for nothing, backstabbing, whore.”


Recalling last night, Jac felt like she had been slapped. It wasn’t her fault she had liked Alex for longer. It wasn’t her fault Dani started dating him even though she knew Jac had liked him for awhile.

”I liked him first,” Jac said defiantly. “I liked him, and yet you still chose to ignore the fact and go after him anyways. What the hell is that Dani? What kind of friend does that?”

“You told me you didn’t care, Jac. You said he was just another crush that you’d get over in a week. I made sure it was okay with you before we went out, so do not turn this around and make me seem like the bad guy here. You’re the slutty best friend who just tried to sleep with my boyfriend at a party while you were both drunk. Yeah Jac, real classy.”

She started to cry. She couldn’t help it. Recalling last night’s events hurt her so much. She got up and raced out of the coffee shop, determined to talk to Dani.

***

“Dani!” she yelled, pounding on the door. “Answer the goddamn door!” she muttered.
Soon the door whipped open. “What do you want?” the brunette asked curtly. Jac was the last person she wanted to see right now.

“I need to talk to you,” she said desperately.

“I think your actions last night spoke a thousand words, Hun. I really have nothing to say to you, so if you’ll excuse me—”

She tried closing the door, but Jac stopped her. “Just listen to me for a second.”

Dani sighed, but let her continue.

“I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. I fucked up. I wasn’t thinking straight, and I guess deep down I was still mad about you and Alex dating, even though you knew I liked him. Which was stupid, I know. I told you to date him. But what was I going to say? ‘No, I like him, back off,’ when I honestly thought it was just a stupid school girl crush?” Jac sighed. “I was upset, and I decided to take it out on you. I’m so sorry, Dani.”

Dani sighed and looked away, wiping a tear from her eye. “This doesn’t make what you did right. This doesn’t mean I accept your apology or that I want to be your friend ever again. But I guess I should have realized that one day, you were going to get him. You always do.”

Jac started crying. “That’s not what it was about! I was just mad and I wasn’t even thinking straight.”

“Whatever, Jac. I have to go, I’ll see you around.” Dani shut the door, shutting out any chance of the two girls making up with it.

Jacqueline Quinn was not perfect. She tended to get any boy she wanted, and without a second thought usually. Sometimes that meant taking people’s boyfriends. Jac had a reputation for being a whore, for being the girl you don’t want your boyfriend anywhere near, but, until this moment, she had been okay with that. She didn’t care if girl’s hated her.

Now, she had fucked up. She needed to make a change in her life. She now didn’t just have any girls hating her, but her best friend since third grade never wanted to see her or speak to her again. She was determined to change her ways, to clean up her act. She had been a victim of a selfish kind of love, the kind where she broke hearts just to get whatever she wanted, and it was time she fix that.

I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways…
♠ ♠ ♠
My contest entry... enjoy!
<3