Home of a Juvenile Delinquent

Chapter Two

After I was shoved into the car, the officer unlocked my cuffs. He was probably bluffing to make him seem tough. He can handle a sixteen year old girl, kudos to him. As I was rubbing my now free wrists, the car came to a sudden stop and I lurched forward, grasping the edges of the door to stay in my seat. I quickly looked out the window, my heart beginning to race, and saw dying grass.

It was a small yard with weeds covering what seemed every square inch. A once lively apple tree, now dead, its leaves and inedible fruit littering the lawn, shadowed the walkway, which I was soon to be walking down.

Behind the rotting nature, there was a two story, white house with fading red shudders. They were worn from wind and rain, not dismissing the abuse from thrown bricks and rocks. There were ripped gray curtains covering the broken windows, blowing every now and then from the calm, warm wind which did not fit the scenery. Through the thin fabric you could see two out of the six rooms had lights on; the attic upstairs and the main room in the front. No shadows passed these windows, creating an almost eerie feeling adding to the fear of the wrecked house, which completely stood out from all of the other well-kept homes. Many people have moved just because of the dread of this residence and what lies within.

Hearing a door being forced open, I turned my gaze to the front seat where I could see the officer stepping out of the car. I could see the fear showing in his eyes. Even he did not want to be near this house. But at least my personality matches where I live. It’s wrecked and unfixable, doomed to spend the rest of its days handicapped from the warm glow that should live within us. He quickly masked his feeling with an unreadable face that almost looked like it was made from stone, making him look intimidating to those he
prosecuted. Not me.

He ripped me out of the car, causing me to trip and nearly fall flat on my face. I quickly regained myself, being pulled back by the officer. “Stand up straight.” He growled at me. My fear of going “home” immediately disappeared as my anger flared. I ripped myself away from him and pushed off the ground, trying to sprint again.

I suddenly felt a heavy weight on my back and a gun in the back of my neck. The weight was almost unbearable, causing me to thrash about. “Stop struggling.” He snarled and cocked the weapon. I froze. “Now get up.” He got off my back. I rose to my knees, feeling a hand on my shoulder. He pulled me up forcefully, his fingers bound to leave a bruise.

He let go of me and stepped back. I turned around in shock but quickly stopped. I could see up the canal of the gun, hearing my heart in my ears, and feeling the fear course through my veins.

I turned back around and slowly made my way up the steps until I was standing directly in front of the door, trying to hide my violently shaking hands by jamming them into my pockets. The officer soon stood close behind me and knocked on the rotting door.

Through my raspy breaths, I heard the standard wrestling coming from poorly made TV in the living room become louder. The officer knocked again, more impatient this time and jammed his loaded gun to the back of my neck out of anger. My body became rigid as a string of shouted curses was heard as the TV was turned off. Heavy and somewhat dragged footsteps came closer and closer to the door, making me hold my breath as the door was ripped open.

A man with dyed blonde hair stood at the doorway. He towered over me with his six foot seven height compared to my five foot two, forcing me to ignore the greasy and acne shrouded face when I looked up at him. His face wasn’t shaven, gray hair poking out from his chin, matching his silver eyebrows, making his somewhat long, blonde hair look fake; which it was. He was wearing cheap boxers with a stained tank top, letting his flabby stomach stick out. This look made him look like a bum, like he had given up on life, or both. Gary. His loose grip on his beer became tight as he looked from me to the police officer standing close behind.

I smiled weakly out of apprehension; the man returned my gesture with a look of disgust. “What did she do now?” He growled lowly. Ignoring my clammy hands and the cold weapon pointed at me, I listened intently as the officer told him about my offences. “She broke into the high school about four blocks from here, she set one of the classrooms on fire, nearly hurting one of the security guards with the explosion. She lashed out at an officer, committed insubordination towards an officer, and repetitive attempts of escape. And since this isn’t the first time she has done any of these things, the consequences are nearly doubled.”

Despite my situation, I smirked as I reminisced about my “offences”.

- - -

After dousing the entire Geometry room, I shoved the bottles back into my bag. Seeing a light shine from under the door, I quickly walked toward the window and pushed it open, cringing as the rust made it creak rather loudly. Taking one last look toward the light, I stepped out onto the thin branch and prayed that it would stand the pressure of my weight.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not fat. It’s just that the branch is incredibly thin, so as I struck the match against the box, my legs shaking to the point where it was almost ridiculous, I quickly threw the match into the room and jumped from the tree, ducking as the explosion broke the two windows above me.

I sat upright to watch as the flames practically flowed out of the top story. I smirked. “That’s what you get for giving me an F on my last test.” I mumbled. Nearly laughing out loud at how bizarre I sounded, I hopped onto my feet and began my walk back to the house.

Hearing the sirens, I turned the opposite direction and picked up the pace. I rolled my eyes. “Here we go again.”

- - -

I was knocked out my nostalgia as the officer pushed me forward, tripping past the man in front of me. I turned around and glared at the officer. He looked at me with an almost sympathetic look. “Stay out of trouble.” He advised. I chuckled. “As if.”

He shrugged slightly and quickly went back to his car, driving away.

Anxiety quaked throughout my bones, causing that nervous quiver to return to my hands. I looked up at the man through my hair. His ever-present glare never left his face as he pointed to the couch. I made my way over to the make-shift bed and cautiously sat on it, flinching when he slammed the door.

“This is getting really old, really fast Darrin.” He mumbled, pinching the bridge of his nose. I rolled my eyes. “My name is Dawn.” I corrected. He groaned quickly turning around and kicking the wall. “I don’t care what the hell your name is! All the crap that you’re pulling is going to stop!” He shouted. “You’re not even my real father! I don’t have to listen to any of the nonsense that’s coming out of your mouth!” I screamed, standing up in defense. He glared down on me. “You will listen to me. You wanna know why? It’s because you’re just some stupid little orphan bitch that the government put in my control.” I shook my head in disgust. “You’re a monster.” His glare deepened. “And you’re a trouble maker.” I scoffed in disapproval. “You think that I make trouble? What do you think the police would say about the stuff you do?” He rolled his eyes with a smile. “They don’t know what I do.”

“Then maybe I’ll just tell them the truth.”

He raised an eyebrow. “What truth?” I kept my composure. “The truth about everything you do to us.” I saw his eyes grow wide and not soon after, I saw him try to grab for my throat. Quickly taking a step back, his hand latched onto my hair. “Shut up.” He snarled, pulling on my ends. I winced. I tried to stay calm even though my mind was screaming for dear life.

“See? Now that’s what’s going to get you in trouble.” I smirked, trying to obtain the upper hand. “I could go to the police right now.” I bluffed.

Then he did something so unexpected, it made me frightened and have to think back. He chuckled. Hysterically, in fact. “You really think that they would believe you?” He said, releasing his hold on my long hair. I took a step back and continued to look at him, trying to ignore the white heads popping out at every possible part of his skin.

I shook my head a little to clear my thoughts. “Of course they would believe me.” I growled. “I’ll just show them what you do to us.” I said pulling up my sleeve, showing my bruised arm. He rolled his eyes. “It truly is a shame that you’re brother has those anger issues.” I dropped my sleeve in shock. “W-what?”

He smiled, knowing that he was winning the battle. “The police are more likely to believe me over you. And everybody knows that James gets into a lot of fights. So why not with you? So now it’s just an addiction; beating you every night. Watching you squirm in pain.” He said explaining his problems as if they were James’. My jaw dropped in awe. “Y-you wouldn’t.” His eyes suddenly held such a fire that scared me so much that I ducked away from him. “I would. Then he would be taken away from you and we would be alone together.” Lust was filled to the brim of his eyes. I shook my head quickly, hopelessly. “Don’t.” I whispered. His eyes narrowed on me. He raised an eyebrow. “Please don’t.” I said, eyes filling with tears. I don’t know what I would do if James was gone. He’s all I have left.

The man that I am forced to call my “guardian” bent down and put a hand to his ear. “I’m sorry, what was that?” My hands curled into fists as I found my voice. “Don’t do it!” I yelled at him. He smiled. “Do what? Because I am allowed to do quite a bit of things. Such as this.” He said and kneed my stomach. The breath was taken from my throat as I curled up into a ball, trying to get it back. “Or maybe I could do this.” He said laughing. He grasped my hair and pulled me to my knees. I saw him pull back his hand and only a second later it left a stinging mark across my face. A few tears escaped my eyes and unnecessary quivers shook my body. He bent to his knees and stroked my face with his thumb. I flinched back. “That’s what I like to see.” He said eyes narrowing.

I heard steps, but refused to look up, afraid of the consequences.

I hate feeling like this. I feel so helpless and weak. I can’t beat him, no matter how hard I try. Failure.

“Leave her alone, you Freak.” I heard someone yell. I looked up from under my bangs to see James standing on the stairs, his face glowering darkly. “James, leave now.” I said, standing up to my knees. Gary faced me, pointing at me with a shaking finger. “Get back down.” He growled. I snorted a little then turned my eyes back to James, silently begging him to go back to the attic.

“I’m not leaving, Dawn. Not while this loon is still around.” James said forcefully, narrowing his eyes on Gary.

Gary laughed, shaking his head in disbelief. “I wouldn’t be so sure about that, Jamie.” He said looking at me from the corner of his eye. I rolled mine with disgust at the fact that he used the nickname I gave him. Gary continued, smirking all the while. “I could have you across the country like that.” He said, snapping his fingers.

James looked at me, the ferocity still apparent on his face. “C’mon Dawn.” My brother said, holding out a hand. I looked at Gary as he stared back at me, only fury shown in his eyes.

I rose from my spot and slowly walked over to James, trying to control my quivering as Gary yelled threats from his spot five feet away.

Taking the last large step to the stairs, I grasped James’ hand and he pulled me to his side, holding me by my hip protectively.

I could feel the connection between us cease its tugging, making part of my mind ease. I could feel the link between us; it held us together in spirit and mind. I melted into his side.

Gary ran at us, showing his teeth like an irate dinosaur, holding his fist back. James quickly pushed me back; making me hit the wall.

I felt the connection pick up again, jerking as our emotions went frantic. In a small way, I could feel James’ fear and fury melt into one as he ducked Gary’s punch, sending my mind into a spinning, frenzied state. I felt my heart pick up as James threw a punch toward Gary’s jaw, sending the crazed maniac back a bit. I closed my eyes, trying to calm the furiously yanking link.

I heard the grunts, making our emotions spike incredulously. I felt someone’s head hit my foot, making me jump away, my eyes still tightly closed.

Hearing a loud thump drag across the wall, I couldn’t but help but open my eyes. When I did, I saw the back of James’ standing over Gary, his back heaving. I slowly walked up to him, ignoring the drops of blood on the floor, and gently touched James’ back.

He flinched a little but slowly turned around, meeting me face to face with a reassuring smile. I tried to smile back, but as I looked at the unconscious body on the floor, the upside down arc quickly left my face.

He pulled me into a hug, and we silently made our way up the stairs, our feet moving in unison. He held my hand as he reached up, grabbing the hanging rope, tugging on it, making a ladder fall from the ceiling. I went first, grabbing his hand and helping him up as I reached the top.

He pulled the ladder back up as I went to go turn on the lamp. While being consumed by total darkness, I pushed a few things over, trying to reach the switch.

Turning the light on, I looked around our room with a sigh. Left-over boxes littered the surrounding walls, making me feel locked in. I quickly opened a window, smiling slightly as the cool wind brushed around my face like invisible fingers.

As James came up behind me, I walked back to the dresser, letting him have the window. I looked at our surrounding walls, completely covered by papers. The papers contained words sloppily scribbled in between the lines. I leaned against the dresser, looking closer at the lyrics that James had written about when we finally distinguished the connection as something real. I smiled.

Bending down to pick up a shirt that was laying on our cluttered floor, I took the sleeve to my eye, wiping off my eyeliner. As my brother came next to me again, I handed him the shirt so he could take off his make-up as well. I quickly threw a brush through my hair, blinking at the pain of the hair sprayed tangles.

We both looked into the mirror, the fact that we were twins were almost painfully apparent. Our black hair covering our eyes, the lamp shining off our piercings; my lip and bridge were pierced as James decided to pierce his eyebrow instead of his nose. He lips was only pierced once while I had my snake bites. We both had a tattoo on our necks, both of the same thing; a small tribal circle consisting of several lines all connecting into one. Our eyes were different though. My green ones with his blue ones. Oh how I loved our eyes. Even though mine were green, I had blue specks in my irises, while James had green specks in his blue. Along the rim, our eyes had the same painstakingly bright grey. I smiled at him. He smiled back.

I took my bra off, leaving on my Rise Against t-shirt as James took off his red long sleeve shirt. I pulled off my socks and jeans as James did the same. I almost laughed at how similar we were, but I didn’t want to break the silence. When we’re silent, the pull of the connection seems stronger, but in a comforting way. So as I threw my jeans to the other side of the room, leaving me in my dark purple boy shorts, I walked over to our bed, which was really just a mattress on the old, dusty, squeaky floor. I quickly got under the thin blanket, snuggling into James, as he hugged me close.

With the link’s pressure finally gone, I felt myself falling asleep in my savior’s arms, wishing for change.
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost done with the third chapter so expect that to be up soon.