‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

With A Shovel

The closer it came to school starting back up, the more Billie Joe clung to me. He had come over every day, inviting me to sit in on band practices like I used to when they played in Tre's garage.

Today I was laying on one of the couches in the recording studio for a basement, relaxing while they took a break. As much as I loved listening to and watching them, I could be at work. I needed to work as many shifts as I could before school.

"Grace, wake up! Don't make me turn it up full blast," Billie warned, his voice unusually close.

When I opened my eyes, he was literally two inches away from my face.

"What the hell!" I yelped, shoving him back as I sat up.

"I did those sketches you wanted. You kept me up all night, so let me catch some Z's," I said, shooting Billie an annoyed look.

He had asked me to come up with some t-shirt designs for their upcoming Fall tour, and I was glad to help.

"You don't look too hot," Mike noticed, "You're all flushed."

"Feel her forehead!" Tre suggested somewhat eagerly.

"I'm fine. I'm gonna go upstairs and get some air," I rolled my eyes as I got up and followed through on my statement.

Before heading into the backyard, I grabbed a glass of water, noticing someone creeping around out back.

How did someone get in? Billie's house was gated and pretty hidden...

I stepped outside, not sure what to do.

"Who's there?" I called out, catching the figure's attention.

At first, I thought it was some disheveled drifter, but when he came closer I realized that it was my now 19-year-old brother.

"Jeff?" I asked; he had changed so much.

He wasn't the joyful kid I remembered growing up with.

"Grace!" he sighed gratefully, "I knew I'd find you wherever he was."

"He meaning?"

"Billie Joe Armstrong.. The biggest thing since the invention of the guitar, apparently," he answered bitterly, reaching out to hug me.

"I still haven't forgotten what you did," I said as I backed away.

"I know. That's why I'm here. In my program, I have to make amends. I came to apologize. What I did was unacceptable and unforgivable, but I hope you can find a way to forgive me.. I was really messed up, but it's no excuse."

"You're damn right it's not," Billie said from behind me, making both Jeff and myself jump.

"How the fuck did you get onto my property?" Billie demanded, Jeff stuttering and searching for words.

"Billie Joe, go back inside. My brother and I need to talk one on one right now.." I sent him a confident look, and so Billie returned to the house.

"Ok, I did come here to apologize, but I also came to ask you a favour," Jeff said timidly.

"And what would that be?"

"Well, before Dad sent me to rehab, I was in some deep stuff. I got in way over my head, and I owe this guy a lot of money."

"Jeffy," I shook my head, "What makes you think I have money? I work at Amoeba and go to Cal."

"You're here with him though! You're in this house with a so-called rock star."

"I live in an apartment at the Foxboro complex. I'm sorry Jeff, but I don't have money just lying around to give you. Even if I did, I don't know if it would be enough."

"I need six grand. Please, Grace? Can't you get your boyfriend to help, just this once? I know he hates me... But this guy is dangerous..."

I couldn't bare seeing my brother so desperate.

"Billie isn't as forgiving as I am. He holds grudges like no other. Plus, it's his money. I have no say in what he does with it."

I looked at him apologetically, feeling awful.

"I think it's time for you to leave."

I walked him through the house and to the front door, giving him a hug.

"Maybe Dad can help. I'm really sorry.." I said again, saying our goodbyes and closing the door as he left.

I went upstairs to Billie's room, climbing into his bed and curling up, hoping that I did the right thing by forgiving Jeff and having the strength to say no to him about the money. I slept for a few hours until Billie woke me up to inform me that Tre and Mike had gone home.

"So, what did your brother have to say?" he asked, laying beside me on the bed.

"He wanted to apologize for everything he's done.." I answered.

"And?" Billie prodded.

"He asked for six thousand dollars to pay off some guy he owes for drugs before he went to rehab."

"How the hell did he manage that? Ok, I could probably rack up a hefty total too, but jesus. What did you tell him?"

"I said no. I don't have the money and I'm not asking you for it. He's nineteen, he has to be an adult.

"Good for you."

"Yeah, well I don't feel very good about it."

"Hey, he needs to be held accountable for his actions. He's a smart kid, he'll figure something out."

I felt a little more at ease after talking to Billie, but I needed to get my mind off of it.

"I'm gonna pick up a shift at Amoeba. Will you drive me?" There was no way in hell I was gonna walk from the Oakland Hills.

When Billie dropped me off at three, he had that look on his face that begged me not to go.

"I get off at ten. That's in seven hours. Go hang out with Mike or go see your mom," I smiled, giving him a kiss and heading into the building.

A week after seeing my brother, I was just finishing up my afternoon shift at work when I noticed a police officer walk in. I watched him speak to another girl, Stella, who pointed to me.
The man came over to me, eying me curiously.

"Are you Elanore Steffens?" he asked and I nodded.

"I'm Officer Owens, and we're investigating the disappearance of Jeffry Steffens. We heard that you were one of the last people to have seen him."

"My brother is missing? For how long?" I asked, not sure what to do.

"Nearly five days. Do you have any idea where he could have gone?"

"No.. I'm sorry."

"Would you be willing to come down to the station and give a statement?" he asked.

"Sure.. I don't have my car though, so could I have a ride?"

I sat beside Officer Owens in his police cruiser, listening to the radio dispatcher.

"Car 435, we've got car 621 on the scene and it looks like they found your missing person," the voice blared, making Officer Owens pick up the piece to talk into.

"Copy that. I've got the kid's sister with me. Should I drop her at the station?"

"Affirmative."

He quickly dropped me off at the station and returned a little over an hour later. When he approached me with his hat in his hands along with an envelope, I could tell something had happened.

"What was it? Did you find Jeff?"

"Yeah, they did."

"And? Where is he? Did they take him to the hospital.. I mean, is he alright?" I was sick of this waiting game.

"They took him to the coroners. Your brother is dead," he said solemnly, and I nearly collapsed but he dropped his things to catch me.

"No, no, no. He can't.. How?" I asked quietly, totally shocked and unable to support myself.

He got me seated in a chair then handed me the standard box of Kleenex.

"There were five close range gunshot wounds to the chest.."

"This is all my fault," I was crying by now, trying to wipe them away with the tissues, "I should have just given him the money and this wouldn't have happened."

"Wait, what?"

I told Officer Owens everything that Jeff had told me a week ago, then he called Billie to come and pick me up. Before we left, Officer Owens handed me the envelope.

"This was found with Jeff. It's addressed to you."

Billie took it for me, and we walked out to his car.

"Where to?" Billie asked once he was behind the wheel.

"Home," I sighed.

He nodded, heading in the direction of my father's house.

By the time we arrived, there were several cars outside, including Ollie's.

"News travels fast," I muttered.

"Yeah. I called my mom before I came to get you," he said as we approached the front door.

"I don't want to do this," I told Billie as he reassuringly squeezed my hand with his.

"I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere," he said in a comforting voice, quickly ringing the doorbell before I could try and get out of it.