Status: Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!

Chasing the Night

Cinq

Aro and I remained in the large farmhouse on the outskirts of Paris for seven years. During that time I only heard stories of Aro's home in Italy. It wasn't safe for me to travel, I was still slightly irrational and blunt with my actions; I didn't take time to think my attacks though and I was easier to handle when we stayed in one place. It wasn't until the winter of 1364 that Aro made the decision that I was ready to leave. I was nervous. Paris had been my home for seven years; France for my entire life. Even though it had been engulfed in the chaos of war, I still saw France as a great and beautiful place. I loved the land and the people of France; in a way I even loved the ones I killed. But I would not leave Aro for France. I agreed to follow him wherever he went; as long as he would have me.

Aro made the arrangements for us to take a coach nonstop all the way to Rome where we would stop for two days before taking the coach to the city of Volterra. It was December 19th of 1364 when our journey started. It was slightly too warm for it to snow so the rain came down as slush from the gray sky. The black coach reminded me of the one my old family owned, which I remember never using, only Aro's was slightly bigger. The fours horses were black to match the coach itself. They weren't large, like the warhorses I was use to, but the size of their hooves was still frightening. The driver was also dressed in black. During the entire trip I never saw the man's face and the horses smelled better than he did so something told me he wasn't human. The trip to Rome, which normally would have taken a week, only took us three days since we didn't stop along the way.

Over the past centuries Rome had become the center of the papacy and with the wealth of the Catholic church the city became a haven for people of all kinds, not just religious. Numerous monuments and chapel were built in and around Rome making the city greater. The coach came to a haul outside a granite mansion after traveling over a thousand miles without stopping. I wasn't sure how the horses managed it. As I stepped out of the coach into the dark night I could see the outline of the Colosseum in the distance. A cold wind whipped though my hair, which shined lightly in the pale moonlight. The breeze brought with it the smell of life. Now that I focused I could hear laughs and yells and the sound of pints being hit together. The sound of a mortal's life ending one quick second at a time. The all too common itch found its way into the back of my throat.

I felt the familiar touch of Aro's hand as he took hold of mine. It wasn't until many years later that I would dread Aro's touch and what he learned from it. We walked hand in hand down the empty Roman street towards the sound and smell of life, some of which ended that night. On the way back to the granite mansion the breeze became slightly stronger and cooler, we still took our time going home. The next two days passed without incident. I wasn't nervous until the time came to leave Rome for Volterra. Aro was the only other vampire I knew besides myself and I felt a little queasy about beginning thrust into largest coven of vampires in the world. I would the youngest and most inexperienced one. Not to mention I was, if it was possible, a very boring vampire.

The transformation had more directly defined my features. My cheekbones somehow became sharper and my once blue eyes were either a crimson red color or bright gold, depending on my thirst. My shiny red hair came down in loose curls while making my already pale skin appear white. The changes weren't just in my appearance. All my senses grew in strength. The hearing and physical strength changes for the hard for me to control in the beginning. It wasn't uncommon for me to zone out of my conversation with Aro and listen to the bugs and birds in a tree on the other side of the street. I broke a lot of things too in the first year; whether it be form misunderstanding the needed strength to close a door too hard or setting a glass down too hard. I became everything you'd expect a vampire to be. But I lacked the unique gift that seemed to be my race's defining characteristic. I had no power like Aro's mind-reading ability. And I knew if I came under any other circumstances I would not have been offered a spot in Aro's precious coven. And because of that I was worried.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's kinda short and that it took so long to write.

Thanks for reading!