Dark Secret

4.Wandering Souls pt.2

I took a good look around me, and was terrified. Everywhere I saw were faces of people, if supernatural creatures were counted as people. They were all screaming, their mouths were impossibly wide opened. Their expressions hallow, their looks empty. They were shells without residents inside, no spirit. The portal was shrouded with scarlet light, painting everything red, adding the element of horror in this mysterious portal. I held Leanna’s arm for protection. What possessed me to jump inside the portal just a few second ago? This was a death trap.

‘Let’s go,’ Leanna pulled me, walking down the, er, road, I guessed that was what I should call it, or a corridor.

‘We’re walking?’ I asked her incredulously.

‘Sort of,’ Leanna shrugged. ‘What’s the matter?’

‘Nothing,’ I replied, though my heart disagreed. For them, the supernatural creatures, they had magic, spells, and all those things that were supposed to help them to make their lives easier, like how technology was for the humans. Yet we, the guests of the king of Downland, had to walk our way to the castle. What happened to good old chariots and other transports?

‘I know what you’re thinking, Char,’ Tyler skipped next to me. ‘You’re thinking why we are walking like idiots instead of using teleportation spells, right?’

‘How do you---’

‘Know? Please,’ He smiled smugly, another new side of Tyler I had yet to see. ‘It’s not that hard to figure it out. And no, I can’t read you mind, just in case you are wondering.’

Very convincing, Tyler, answering all the questions I had in mind. I rolled my eyes, and waited for his explanation.

‘You see, there’s a barrier protecting the castle, and it prevents anyone from entering with a teleportation spell. So we have to use this portal instead. This is actually an extremely advanced spell, only a selected few know this. Not only can this portal reach across dimensions, it can also shorten the distance between the destinations. It’ll just take a few minutes of walking, Char. I’m sure you’ll survive that.’

I sighed. Did the castle have to have such a heavy protection? Couldn’t they give Leanna a pass or something? How troublesome. ‘Fine, but it has better be only a few minutes.’
‘Scout’s honor.’

I giggled. ‘You’ve never been a scout, Ty.’

‘Did too.’

‘Did not.’

‘Did too.’

‘Will you two shut up? Tyler, you’ve never been a scout,’ I stuck my tongue at Tyler. ‘At least, not there.’ Tyler returned the favor of sticking out his tongue at me.

‘Fine, you win this time,’ I pouted.

‘I always win.’

‘Tyler?’I called him when a thought struck my head. ‘You were a scout in Downland?’

‘Yeah, but not the kind of scout we’re talking about,’ he frowned, pressing his brows tightly together. ‘I was a scout in the military when wars between different races still waged. It was terrible,’ he looked up, staring into a faraway land. ‘I don’t want to talk about it.’

How dramatic.

He must have his reasons, be nice.

Why? He’s your crush, not mine. I don’t have to be courteous for him.
She was an annoying pest. If only there was a way to get her out of my head, I’d give any price. We were not the same, but trapped within one body. Maybe I was hallucinating, maybe she had been my illusions all along, surfacing because I had been too alone on my own.

Illusion? What are you talking about? I am not your illusion, girl. I am much more than that, much more.
I ignored her warning tone. ‘I’m sorry for bringing that up, Ty.’

‘Sorry? I’m curious, Tyler, how was your life in the military? Why did they let you go?’
‘Oh, come on,’ I moaned. ‘You’re back already?’

I raised my head, looking the flying man with distaste, though I loved his black feather wings. They were gorgeous. The raven feather he left, which was now inside my pocket, must be from his wings. A fallen angel, or a demon? Who were you, Kenneth? Why were there so many puzzles around you?

‘But aren’t you glad to see me, darling?’ He looked down in his glory, the persistent smirk present on his face.

‘Kenneth,’ Leanna spat with venom.

She tugged me behind her, blocking me from Kenneth’s view. Tyler stood beside her, crouched down like a predator again. His, and Leanna’s, animalistic side came forth. Their fangs extended, nails turning into sharp claws. Kenneth’s nonchalantly posture didn’t change, remained to be carefree.

‘Ah, ladies, we meet again. Can you please hand over dear Charlotte to me?’

They hissed, sending a warning to Kenneth.

‘Over my dead body,’ Tyler said.

‘But you’re dead already.’

Tyler leaped, yet Leanna was quicker, already half way to Kenneth. She stretched her claws, ready to rip Kenneth into pieces. He evaded her assault easily with a turn. His wings spread before Tyler reached him. Feathers started shooting down like rain, shredding Tyler’s clothes. Fortunately, the knives like feathers landed right in front of me, thus I wasn’t injured.
I plucked one of them out of curiosity. It was hard and sharp, as if it was made of metal, not soft feathers.

Tyler and Leanna landed a few feet behind, stretching the distance between me and them. They seemed to recognize this, for Leanna dashed to where I was as soon as her feet made contact with the ground (of the portal). She was once more a step behind Kenneth, who flew towards me, took a good hold on my waist, and flew forward.

‘Let go of me, you ogre!’ I yelled against the wind, yet I didn’t dare the struggle since my feet had left the safety of land, touching the air. It was like I was falling, but floated. I feared that I would fall, though I knew Tyler and Leanna were running after me, and were prepared to catch me if that did occur. Perhaps that was the reason human didn’t have wings. We weren’t born for the sky, we weren’t suited for flying.

‘Not happening, pumpkin.’

‘Pumpkin? Ew. Stop with the pet-calling names. I draw the line there.’

‘Whatever you say, sweetheart,’ he smirked. I kicked him in the shin for that. He winced and glared at me, but continued flying.

‘We’re almost there.’

‘The castle?’ After all the drama, I was still going to the castle?

‘Of course not, darling. Why would I want to bring you there?’

‘How should I know?’

He pulled one of his feathers from his left wing. He held it in his fist, fingers closed firmly. Purple light sipped through the tiny gaps, forming into a double headed spike-like spear. The light died and gave way to the violet crystal spike. He threw the spear, tearing the portal sides. The faces screamed louder when the spear pierced through them, creating a hole. They fell off one by one, dropping out of the hole into the unknown.

‘It’s your turn.’

‘What?’

Kenneth swung me twice, and then threw me away. I shrieked bloody murder, waving my hands in the air like a buffoon. I panicked. Tyler and Leanna tried to reach for me from afar. However, they disappeared from my view. Blinking, I realized it was I who had vanished, not them, for the environment around me was not the screaming faces, but a desert.

‘Charlotte!’ Tyler shouted.

My back fell on the sand, knocking the breath out of me. I stared up at the blue sky, where a red ribbon was floating. I squirted my eyes for a clearer look, yet the sunlight was too bright. What was a ribbon doing in the sky?

It’s the portal, you dummy.

Something poked out the hole. It looked like…Kenneth? He leered, and waved at me. Before he could step out the portal entirely, something, or someone, had pulled him back into the portal.

‘Tyler! Leanna!’I cried. ‘I’m here!’

‘Char!’ I heard Leanna called my name.

I watched in dismay as the hole repaired itself, shrinking smaller and smaller. I stood up, and ran after the portal, chasing it. The portal seemed to be avoiding me; it got further away with each step. I tried to reach for it, I tried to jump into it. Nothing worked.

‘No, no, no, no!’

I didn’t know what was in my way, but it was big enough to cause a fall. My knees hit the sand hard, so did my face. I coughed out the sand. Tears rushed out of my eyes to get rid of the sand. I lift myself of the ground, and searched for the portal.

There was not a trace of it left in the azure sky, not a hint of red lingered. I looked left and right, trying desperately to find something---anything---that was related to the portal that was here just a few moments ago.

‘Please, please no.’

The sky did not hear my plea. My legs wobbled, and I fell onto my knees. Tears poured out again, though it wasn’t because of the sand this time. I was lost, here, in Downland, where mythical creatures could be just around the corner and killed me. I might end up to be a wandering demon’s dinner tonight.

Great, just great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy the chapter. Please subscribe and comment. ^^ If you have time, can you check out my other stories? Thanks.