Dark Secret

5. Confusing Clues pt.1

I was floating aimlessly on the dark space. Gravity did not apply here. I was like a balloon without any constriction, flowing amidst the unknown. I didn’t know where I was going; as a matter of fact, I didn’t even know where I was, but it felt good. I liked it very much. My body wasn’t in control, though I didn’t care, nor I would. I could actually get used to it, enjoying my time here. But wait, I knew there was something else, something important. I couldn’t seem to put my finger on it…

Leanna, Tyler! Oh no, how could I possibly have forgotten that? I was lost in Downland just of that jerk, Kenneth, ruined everything by trying to kidnap me. He threw me into a freaking desert for Pete’s sake. I must find them, and fast, or I’d end up in some demon’s stomach…

Holy fudge. Double crap.

Now I remembered. I was knocked out by an invisible thing, most likely by a demon, when I was standing like an idiot. Did that mean I was…dead? Was it the end for me?

I died?

Wow, I didn’t realize I could be so calm in such a situation. I was at peace. Normal people would have screamed their heads off by now. I was a freak, stating I was dead like commenting on the weather. ‘Oh look, it is cloudy, there will be a storm, and I am dead, killed by a random creature in Downland on a stranded desert.’

Why do you like to think about death so much? You’re not the Grim Reaper, you’re not going to face death every second of your life. Get over it. And haven’t I said that I’m not planning on dying until my hair turns grey?

I recognized the terribly familiar voice, though I wasn’t sure was I glad or annoyed to know that it was still here with me. It was my inner self.

Wake up,
she growled. Or I’ll slap you in the face.

Wake up? So I wasn’t dead after all?

Suddenly, I was sore all over, as if I had been exercising for hours without taking a break, or got a beating from a skilled fighter. The ground was cold, soft yet hard at the same time. It wasn’t sand, but earth. I smelt the scents indicating I was in a cave—the muddy and wet smell caves possessed. The moisture in the air didn’t help me, my throat was dry like sandpaper, and I was dehydrated. Water, I needed water.

‘…Water,’ I murmured weakly. I didn’t know how I handled it. I shouldn’t be able to say anything at all.

Cool liquid rushed down my throat instantly, as if my request was heard. I drank it hungrily until I had choked myself in the process, but that didn’t stop me. I continued to drink like a desperately thirsty girl I was. I savored the refreshing flavor like I had never before, at the same time gulping down the water frantically.

‘Stop,’ a voice commended me. It was strong and strict, reminding me of a general in an army. The water was gone, taken away from me. I reached out, grabbing only air and nothingness. Where was the water I wanted? I needed it!

‘You’re choking. Wait until you’re fine first.’

‘But—’ I coughed, unable to finish the sentence. I tried to resume my breathing normal as soon as possible for the sake of having the water back.

The surroundings were as silently as it could get, even heartbeats were too loud here, especially mine. How many people were here? One? No, I guessed it should be at least a party of six. I could feel their presence encircling me. I couldn’t explain how I could feel it, it was an ability I had since the beginning of my memory. I coughed for one last time before opening my eyes slowly.

Darkness awaited me, shadows by me side. I was in a dark void, no light existed here. Of course, what should I have expected? I was in somewhere like a cave or tunnel.

‘Here.’

Before I could ask what he (since the voice was rough and low-pitched) meant, a bottle was delivered to my hands. I shook it to check how much water was left in it. My estimation was more than half. With a satisfied smile, I drank greedily. Despite my stomach started to protest, I carried on drinking to gratify my desire for water.

I let out a grunt when the last drop of water had been drained. The water was gone too quick for my liking. I touched my now bloated stomach; I supposed it was enough for the moment.

‘Are you done drinking, human?’ another gruff voice rumbled from my left.

‘Yes, thank you’ I answered politely. I didn’t want to risk angering whoever held me captive, though I was surprised they bothered to give me water. Why would they want me in alive? Wouldn’t it be better if I was dead? This was confusing. What was their motive?

My inner self snorted.

‘Who are you?’

‘We’re doing the questionings here, not you, puny mortal, so you better start answering our questions truthfully, or else…’ he barked.

I couldn’t help but to wince at his words. It was kind of scary. I tended to get frightened easily when someone shouted at me. I didn’t want to be hated. This was one of things I feared most, being hated. Yet in reality, there were so many people that disliked with reasons I wasn’t aware of.

‘Yes, sir.’ I responded like an obedient child.

‘Good. Alexter, she’s all yours.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, Chapter 5 is here. Woot!
Please leave a comment. I'd really love to see them after my vacation from Mibba. =)