There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

The Damage Is Done So I Guess I'll Be Leaving

When the rain stopped, they went back to the apartment and sat in Pete's car. He had so often sat here to think the first few days after Hash had landed into her coma. And now he was back, but this time he had company. They remained silent inside the car for a few minutes. Sam knew to respect Peter's train of thought. She sat quietly in the passenger seat, although it killed her to not say even a syllable. To restrain herself from saying anything, she brought up her knees to hug them. As she did, her foot tapped the glove compartment and it's contents came spilling out.
"Oops." Sam's hand went to her mouth. She turned to Peter with wide eyes. Peter stared at her and then laughed.
"Sorry." she said and immediately began to gather the fallen items. She scooped them up in her arms and looked at the items. She scooped them up in her arms and looked at the items, "Are these yours?" she asked picking at the colorful bracelets.
"They're yours." Peter said, "Pretty much everything in this car is yours." he motioned around.
Sam turned to the backseat, "Oh, there's my dress bag!" she reached back and grabbed a black bag covered in pictures of couture dresses.
She patted the bag happily and then looked at Peter. She looked back at her bag and then at Peter again.
"You can have the bag if it makes you feel better." she said.
"All I need is you to feel better." he said.
"Do you feel better now?" Sam asked hugging the bag to her chest.
"Slightly." Peter said. He placed his hand on the steering wheel, "It's going to be slow, Sam, but I'll get there. I think this time, the first time, was the hardest time."
"I agree, Peter, and I'm glad that you didn't fly off the handle." Sam joked. Peter laughed.
Sam suddenly noticed his wrist, "Oh, you never took it off!" she said astonished, pointing at the blue and yellow bracelet.
"No, never." Peter said.
Sam smiled, "You can have this one, too." she handed him a bracelet with beads of every color.
Peter accepted the bracelet, "You always give me things, Sam."
"Well, they're just possesions." Sam said slipping all the bracelets on.
"But I never give you anything." Peter said.
"Yes, you do." Sam said putting a hand on his shoulder, "You give me more than a possesion could ever give me."
"Cool." Peter smiled, "Well," Peter placed the keys into the ignition, "how about we go and pick up Lily?"
Sam winced, "Your mother hates me."
"You're a part of the family, Sam, she has to learn to accept you." Peter said.
He turned on the car, shifted the gear and began to pull out of the parking lot.
"What does she hate about me, anyway?" Sam asked, "Is it my flawless beauty?"
Peter laughed, "That must be it."
"Hey, Peter, remember that place on the corner of Cherry Street?"
"What?" Peter asked confused.
" 'We would walk on the beach in out bare feet. We were both eighteen and it felt so right, sleeping all day, staying up all night.' " Sam sang, "I've been touching up on my Yellowcard, haven't heard them in a while."
They reached Pete's mother's house in fifteen minutes.
"Are you sure you should come in?" Sam asked as they pulled into the driveway.
"Yeah, it's okay, she won't bite." Pete assured.
Two minutes later, Pete, with Lily in hand, and Sam were running out of the house admist Pete's mom screaming.
"Daddy, why is grandma mad?" Lily asked after Sam had thrown herself into the backseat to strap her in.
"Because Sam is here." Peter answered as he fumbled to place the keys into the ignition, "She thinks Sam's bad."
"Sam, bad?" Lily asked as Sam strapped her into the car seat.
"Yeah, I know, me bad?" Sam asked, "I'm like Katy Perry, I'm cool."
"Really cool." Lily said.
"Thanks, Lils, you're cooler than cool, you're ice cold." Sam said, "Here, have a bracelet." she handed Lily a bracelet from her wrist.
"Hey, Sam, what are you doing tonight?" Peter asked when they were on the road.
"Nothing, why?" Sam asked confused.
"No, I just wanted to hang out." Peter said.
"Do you want to talk?" Sam asked.
"About today, no." Peter answered, "Maybe tomorrow. I've got alot of thinking to do tonight. But before that I want to indulge myself."
"Sounds hot." Sam said. Pete laughed.
"What are we doing?" Sam asked.
"What do you want to do?" Peter asked.
"I want to dance." Sam answered.
"No." Peter said immediately.
"What if I dance for you?" Sam giggled.
"What?!" Peter cried.
"Nothing!" Sam said laughing, "How about a movie?"
"I have the perfect one," Pete said, "but it'll have to wait until after Lily goes to bed."
"Eew--" Sam began.
"No," Pete laughed, "it's a scary movie."
"We should start a movie night." Sam suggested.
"Can I pick the movie next time?" Lily asked.
"Yes." Peter said.
"Yes!" Lily cheered.
"Yes!" Sam said because she felt like it.
That night, after Lily was fast asleep, Peter put on his scary movie. After the first twenty minutes, everything was going fine, until the killer crown showed up on the screen. Sam screamed, got up and ran out of the apartment. Pete chased after her and stuck his head out of the apartment.
"So, Sam, see you tomorrow?" he called.
All he got in response were Sam''s echoing screams. Sam ran screaming all the way to her apartment. William immediately threw open his door.
"Sam!" he cried.
"Aaahhh!" Startled, Sam screamed even more, covered her head with her arms and backed up against the wall.
"Relax, it's just pretty face William." William said, "Come here, I want to show you something, sugar."
Sam cautiously stepped closer to him.
"I've finally figured you out, hot lips." he said.
"What, how so?" Sam asked.
"I've finally realized what it's going to take for you to sleep with me." William grinned.
"Really?" Sam said crossing her arms.
"Yeah, I had no idea you were that kind of girl." William said.
"Huh?" Sam asked.
William retreated into his apartment quickly and returned with a medium sized doll of Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas, "Here you go, baby, a doll for my doll."
Sam gasped, "Aww," she said accepting the doll, "I love it. You didn't have to."
"Apparently, I do, I understand you now. So, let's suck face." he leaned forward.
"What?" Sam brought Sally up so that William's face bumped against the doll, "William, what are you doing?"
"I've figured you out." William said, "You'll sleep with me if I buy you things, right?"
"You mean, like, a gold digger?" Sam asked, completely terrified of the word.
"Sure. That must be why you're so rich, right?" William said, "But if you want, I can call you sugar mama." he leaned forward again.
Sam let out an indignant shriek, "So, you mean Sally's....tainted?" she held up the doll, "Aw, damn it, she was really pretty." she pressed the doll to William's hands, "Here, Beckett, I can't take her."
"You're not that kind of girl, are you?" William asked.
"I'm not a 'ho." Sam asnwered.
"I didn't really think so." William sighed, "I'm not getting any, am I?"
Sam shook her head.
"Shit." he muttered. He handed her the doll, "Here, you take her. I saw her and I thought of you, it's a gift."
"Aww," Sam said, "Well, then, I gladly accept." she took the doll, "That's so sweet." she hugged William, "You'll get some sugar for that." she got on her tip toes and kissed William's cheek.
William grinned, "How about some right here?" he pointed at the corner of his mouth.
Sam smiled and patted his chest, "Don't push it, candy man." she went to her door.
"You wanna talk about pushing?" William asked grinning.
"Night, Mr. Oogie Boogie." Sam said.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Sam walked into the apartment eating a quart of ice cream. Peter was on the couch looking glum.
"I thought you might be a little depressed, so I bought you ice cream." Sam handed him the half eaten quart.
Peter took the ice cream and the spoon Sam handed him and sampled the ice cream.
Peter's eyes widened at the taste, "Did you make this ice cream?"
Sam frowned, "No, loco."
"It's so good, what is it?" Peter asked taking another spoonful.
"Strawberry cheesecake ice cream." Sam answered, "It's my favorite."
"I see." Peter said.
Sam sat next to him on the couch to his left, "What's in your head, zombie?"
"I'm feeling a little guilt." Peter confessed.
"Why?" Sam asked perplexed.
"I think I should maybe let Lily be with Hash for a day or two." Peter said, "Lily is her daughter, she does have the right. I don't know, Sam. I love her even though I shouldn't love her and I'm helping her. I'm in an awkward position. I feel like I'm on the O.C. and I'm, I don't know, Adam Brody."
"Aww, sweet pea," Sam placed an arm around him, "Adam Brody doesn't matter." she said in a soothing tone.
"I don't know, Sam. She's been in a coma for two years." Peter said, "She wasn't there to see Lily bloom. She's missed most of Lily's important moments. Women are very maternal. She has every single right to be with Lily...and I don't think I could keep Lily away from her, that's evil."
"She's evil, you said so yourself." Sam said.
"Yeah, but she's evil for what she did to me, Lily has nothing to do with any of this."
Sam blinked at him, "Well, you have my request, Peter." she placed her hand on his knee, "I admire the fact that you're keeping your daughter out of this, because you're right, this is between you and Hash, not Lily. I respect that."
"Yeah, well, you know," Peter winked at her, "I try."
"The ice cream's making you a little gushy, huh?" Sam asked.
"Yeah, it's really good." Peter said grinning. He swallowed, another spoonful.
"But, seriously, Peter, I respect that, that's like, noble."
"I feel like a stupid idiot, though." Peter said slumping down in his seat, "She, like, broke my heart and I'm basically giving her one of the few things I have left, I feel so bad."
"So, you're feeling responsible but she cheated on you?" Sam asked raising an eyebrow, "She cheated on you and you're feeling like the guilty one? She's the one at fault here and you're being the nice one?"
"She hasn't had Lily, she never enjoyed her daughter. Lily is her daughter, they need to bond. I don't know, I feel bad for her and she sounded so sad. You heard her, she just wants to get to know Lily. Poor Hash, this must be hard on her. Imagine not even knowing your own daughter." he sighed, "She sounded so sad. I just feel sympathetic to her, poor girl."
Sam stood up, "Tell her to cry you a river." she said coldly. Sam strode toward the kitchen, Peter watched her.
"It's amazing how you're doing what you feel is right with Lily." Sam said from behind the counter, "but don't feel for her. She is the evil one here, after all."
"Maybe you're right." Peter said, " But, still, it's kinda sad."
"The whole situation is sad," Sam cried, "Not just her side is sad!" she sighed, "You just feel bad because you're, like, a Care Bear."
Peter grinned, "I'm a Care Bear?" he stretched out on the couch, "Which one?"
"I don't know, maybe a purple one?" Sam said. She stared at Peter, "So, you're decided?"
"Yeah," Peter said serisously, "I'm going to give her Lily next time I get into contact with her."
"Are you ready to start treating this like a...divorce?" she whispered the last word.
Peter looked into the quart of ice cream, "Yeah." he nodded.
Sam leaned forward on the counter, "Have you talked to Lily?"
Peter looked up at her, "No."
Sam straightened up, "Lily!" she called.
"No!" Peter dropped his spoon, "Sam, no!"
"Better now than never, Peter." Sam said.
"But, Sam," Peter protested.
"Don't worry, Peter, I'm here to help you." Sam said just as Lily walked in.
She looked up at Sam with big puppy eyes, "What, Sam?"
"Come here," he led her to the living room, "your dad needs to tell you something."
Lily stopped in front of the couch, "Am I in trouble, daddy?"
"No, no, no, sweetie," Peter assured as he picked Lily up and sat her in his lap, "I just want to explain something to you."
He looked at Sam, as he sat on his left, for reassurance. She smiled and gave him an encouraging nod.
"Lily, you know how mommy woke up?" Peter asked carefully.
"Yes." Lily said.
"Well, it turns out, mommy and daddy are...are getting a divorce." Peter's grip tightened on his daughter.
This was the first time Peter had aknowledged the fact thay he was getting a divorce. He hadn't thought about the d-word at all. Maybe because he couldn't believe that it was actually happening to him. It was bad enough he was going through a heartbreak and doubts over his daughter's relation to him, but now he had to face it. Peter Wentz was getting a divorce.
He snapped out of his thoughts as he felt Sam squeezing his arm. He looked into Lily's brown puppy eyes.
"What that means, baby, is that mommy and daddy won't be together anymore." Peter explained, "But that doesn't mean you won't have a mom and dad. We're still going to be there for you no matter what. Okay, do you understand, Lily?"
"Where am I going to be, daddy?" Lily asked.
Peter hesistated, he really didn't know about this. He hadn't been able to talk to Hash about what was going to happen.
"You'll be with me for now, Lily." Peter said, "Until we figure out what's going to happen."
Lily nodded.
"Go ahead and go play now, Lils." he said lowering her to the floor, "Love you."
Lily went to Peter, gave him a light peck on the cheek and ran to her room. Peter leaned forward with his elbows on his knees.
"I don't think she fully understood." Peter sighed.
"Well, of course, not, she's four." Sam said, "But Lily's a smart girl, I'm sure she kinda understands." she looked at Peter, "You okay, sugar plum?"
Peter paused and rubbed his forehead, "I'm getting a divorce, Sam." he said, "I'm getting a divorce."
"Aw," Sam scooted closer to him, "Are you ready for it?"
Peter breathed out heavily, "No." he said softly, "I still love her...deeply."
"I know, I know." she tussled his hair, "You'll get through this." He turned to her, "Will you help me?"
Sam smiled, "Always. How about I start right now," Sam stood up, "by helping you relax?"
Before Peter could say anything, his phone rang from the kitchen counter. The phone played, 'Dead On Arrival' as a ringtone. Peter rushed to the phone to check the ID.
"What weird ringtone did you put on my phone?" Peter asked half laughing. Sam grinned a huge knowing grin.
Peter frowned at the unknown phone number, "Hello?" he answered.
"Peter, this is Hash."
Peter's mouth went dry. He blurted out the first thing that came to his mind, "How did you get my phone number?"
Peter closed his eyes and slapped a hand to his head in frustration.
"I got it from the hospital." Hash answered in her girly voice, "I wanted to talk to Lily, not you."
"I've made up my mind," Peter said trying to ignore the stinging from his chest, "you can spend the time with Lily."
"Great." Hash said happily, "I'll go get her right now."
Peter's heart stopped, "Right now?" he choked.
"Yeah." Hash said and then he heard the phone click.
Peter hung up, "Hash is coming!"
"What?" Sam asked.
"She's coming, oh, my God, what do I do?" he cried out completely freaked out.
"Peter!" Sam ran to Peter, grabbed his collar and slapped him right in the face, "Get a hold of yourself." she let him go as Peter stared at her surprised, "We're both young and sexy individuals, we can figure this out."
Peter stared at her in disbelief, "Did you just slap me?"