There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Gone Out The Window

Peter touched her hands and played with them, "What were you going to tell me, Sam?" he asked.
"Um," she watched him play with her hands, "I think we need to talk." she said carefully.
"About what?" Pete grinned.
"Your apartment." Sam answered.
"What?" Peter said dropping her hands. Now he was caught off guard.
"Explain yourself." Peter said.
"Well, while I was waiting here, I couldn't help but notice that there are memories of Hash everywhere." Sam explained.
Peter crossed his arms and slumped back in his chair.
"If you're going to get over her, Pete, you have to start by doing it, you know, Sugar Ray style." Sam said.
"I know, I know, it's just," he sighed and stood up, "that's a touchy subject, you know? Those were happy memories, especially this one," he went to the coffee table and picked up the overturned framed picture of him and Hash, "It hurts to look at it and at the same time I can't get rid of it."
"But, Peter, you have to." Sam said getting up and standing next to him, "Slowly but surely, you're getting over her, I see that, just put them away in a box."
Peter let out his breath slowly, "I know, I know I should put them away." he placed the picture face down on the table.
"She makes you so mad whenver you see her." Sam reasoned.
"Even when I don't see her, I still can't believe she said what she did to you." Peter said turning to her, "It's me she should be telling shit to, not you. You're...you're an untouchable." he grinned and placed an arm around her, "Only I can touch you."
"Says who?" Sam challenged.
"That isn't one of your rules." Peter pointed out.
"That has nothing to do with it." Sam said.
Peter chuckled and pinced her cheek. He pulled her to the couch and they both sat.
"I know I have to get rid of the past, Sam. Give me time, I'll do it someday." Peter said.
"Really?" Sam asked folding her legs underneath her.
"Yeah." Peter said pulling her closer, "Do you believe I can do it?"
"I believe you can do anything." Sam said truthfully.
"That's why I keep you around, because you're nice to me." Peter said squeezing her.
"Please, I'm around because I want to be." Sam said.
"You make me look good and feel good." he smiled at her, "You're my Prada."
"Oh." Sam placed a hand to her mouth, "that is the nicest thing anyone has ever told me." She placed her hand on his knee.
Peter placed his hand on hers and they intertwined them together. They smiled at each other. Sam rested her head on Peter's shoulders and Peter rested his head on her head.
For the rest of the week, they very quickly fell into their old routine. But Peter found himself not wanting to go to work. He had gotten used to spending all day with Sam and his daughter, he always had fun with them. But he always looked forward to coming home to them. He would arrive and hug them tightly. Things were at a confusing point for Peter. Nowadays, he was both sad and happy. He was happy around Sam, but when she was gone he missed her and he was sad. He wasn't entirely sure if what made him sad was his divorce or the fact that Sam wasn't with him. When Sam wasn't around, he worried about her. He wondered what she was doing and who she was with.
Lately, Sam and Peter had been staying up late talking til the early hours of the morning. They both didn't care that they had to wake up early, they just wanted to have some fun. It became customary for after a few hours for them to fall silent and just enjoy each other's company. During these bouts of silence, Sam would often snuggle closer to him by placing an arm around his chest and resting her head on his shoulder. Peter would place a protective arm around her, pull her closer and use the same hand to stroke Sam's playful hair. They would stay in this position for the rest of the night making small talk and chuckling. From time to time Peter would lower his face and kiss her head. Sam would respond by squeezing him tighter and nuzzling closer. And every night, when Sam would get up to leave, Peter would pull her back and not let go of her hand until Sam would gently convince him that they had to get some sleep. He would, then, reluctantly let go of her hand and watch her leave with a heavy heart. Then he would go to bed basking in his warm feelings, think of the funny things she said and try to sleep quickly so that he could wake up and spend more time with her. Two weeks passed by in a blur as Peter was kept busy with work and Sam was busy with Lily.
One Thursday, Peter came home from work early and sent Sam up to her aparment, claiming that he had surprise. An hour later, Sam walked into the apartment and gasped. The apartment looked completely different, there were many things missing but the most noticeable thing was the couch. There was a brand new white couch, the old couch was next to it. It looked gray next to the new one.
"I finally did it, Sam." Peter said coming to the door, "I took down all her things."
"Wow, I'm impressed." Sam said looking around as she stepped in.
Peter closed the door behind her, he was still in his work clothes. "I haven't gotten rid of the things, I just took them down."
"What's up with the couch?" Sam asked sitting on the new couch.
"Oh, well, Hash had bought the old couch when we had moved into our house. I brought it here when me and Lily moved in. I figured I had to get rid of it all." Peter said sitting down next to Sam.
"Well, I'm proud of you, Peter Piper Pizza." Sam said.
"Really?" Peter asked.
Sam nodded.
"Cool." Peter grinned.
"And you know what? I haven't seen you in your work clothes in a while." Sam smiled, "You look handsome."
"Really, then I should wear them more often." Peter said.
Sam laughed, stood up and went to the old couch, "I sure am going to miss this couch," she sat on it and patted it gratefully, "lots of memories."
Peter watched as Sam made herself comfortable. She wore a light pink shirt that read 'No, I'm Slim Shady', short shorts and pink converse slip on's, she dressed relaxed today.
"We'll make new memories on this one." Pete promised.
Sam raised an eyebrow, "You made that sound hot."
"You sound hot." Peter laughed.
"Well, yeah." Sam admitted and she laughed with him.
They talked and laughed for a while. They had dinner and tucked Lily in when it was her bed time. Then they teach sat on a couch and talked some more. Sam had burst into a fit of giggles when, without warning, Hash burst into the apartment.
Peter jumped up to his feet, "Hash!" he cried out surprised.
Hash's eyes had immediately zoned in on Sam, who got up and retreated behind the couch.
"What are you doing with her?" she cried, "You're supposed to be taking care of our child!"
"Oh, my God, what's wrong with her nose?" Sam cried out involuntarily.
Hash immediately reached up to her nose, she had always been self counscious about it.
"Lily's fine." Peter said, "What are you doing here?"
"I'm here to check up on my child and to bitch at you!" Hash declared.
"You got the bitch part right." Sam said.
"Don't drag yourself into this!" Hash snapped.
"Don't talk to Sam that way." Peter immediately defended.
"Oh, so now you're being a hypocrite." Hash said picking up on his tone, "You're mad at me for cheating on you during marriage, but you cheat on me while I'm in a coma!"
"I never cheated on you!" Peter said defensively, "I thought about you every single day. I loved you!"
Hash laughed, "Of course you never cheated on me. What was I thinking? You're not enough of a man to find someone else."
"Whoa, now..." Sam said raising her hands.
Hash ignored Sam, "You were always too nice, you never once stood up to me, you never pleasured me...and your winky's too small!"
Pete and Sam both gasped and brought their hands up to their mouths.
Sam quickly recovered, "It it not!"
Peter and Hash turned to her surprised.
"You two are sleeping together?" Hash said shocked.
"No, but I've seen it." Sam said.
"How!" Peter cried out, he was very confused.
"I saw your pictures." Sam said simply.
"You were looking through my things?" Peter asked.
"I saw them by accident. See," Sam sighed, "a few days ago Lily comes up to me and says she can't find her doll. Since she had been in your room earlier, we went to look there. So I look under your bed and then I look inside your bedside drawer. I reached in, I pulled out what was inside and there was your doodle. So I put them back, I got Lily out of the room and I had her watch tv while I looked for the doll. And it was just horrible because for the rest of the day, I kept getting images in my head--"
"You looked in my goodie drawer?!" Peter said through gritted teeth.
"--and every time I closed my eyes all I saw was--"
Peter held up a hand, "Okay! Okay!"
"Lord, I am so glad I'm divorcing you," Hash said rolling her eyes, "You always were a weird one. Poor you, I don't know what you're going to do without me."
"Who says I can't do better than you?" Peter frowned.
"Oh, honey, we both know you can't." Hash said pityingly.
"Listen to me, I gave up everything I had to take care of our kid--"
"I don't see why you did," Hash said, "the little brat might not even be yours--"
"Don't call my daughter a brat!" Peter yelled.
"Don't talk to me like that!" Hash yelled back.
Peter took a deep calming breath , "We have to talk." he said trying to steady his voice, "We need to know what's going to happen with the divorce."
"Easy, I'm leaving you. What's there to talk about?" Hash shrugged.
"We need to talk." Peter insisted.
"I don't have time right now."
"The, why'd you come to my apartment?" Peter asked.
"What time does he get off?" Sam said finally speaking.
They turned to look at her again.
"What?" Hash asked making a face at Sam.
"What time does he get off?" Sam repeated, "You're obviously here to kill time while you wait for the one of your formers to get off work or come back home."
"Former, as in, boyfriend?" Peter asked, he thought for a minute, "You were with him that night." Peter pointed at Hash.
"What?" Hash asked anxious.
"That night, when you got in your coma." Peter said, "You were with him!" he accused.
Hash remained quiet and Peter let out a frustrated, hurt cry.
"You never appreciated me!" Peter cried.
"You never excited me!" Hash said.
"You always walked all over me!" Peter blamed.
"You always let me walk all over you!" Hash said.
"You always--" Peter began.
"Daddy?" Lily said entering the living room.
They all turned and saw Lily standing in her p.j.'s rubbing her eyes.
"Oh, jeez." Sam gasped and rushed to Lily.
"Why are you fighting with mommy?" Lily asked sleepily.
"Lily, no, honey, we weren't fighting. We were just talking really loud." Peter said rubbing his head shamefully.
"Oh." Lily said.
"Go back to bed, sweetie." Peter urged.
"I can't." Lily said.
There was a sudden knock on the door.
"What now?" Sam sighed. She strode to the door and answered it, it was William.
"Hey..." he said quickly and then, seeing who it was, quickly changed his tone, "Hey..."
"Oh no." Sam said.
William noticed Peter and Hash, "Oh, I just came to say that it's," he looked at Hash up and down, "really loud in here. Try to keep it down."
"You could hear us to 102?" Peter asked.
William leaned against the doorframe, "I guess so." he gestured toward the ceiling.
Sam turned around, "Well, this has been lovely. I'm leaving and I'm taking Lily with me." she went and scooped Lily up and headed to the door, where she turned back, "Peter, toodles. Miss Coma Girl, from the wonderful words of Mr. Andre 3000, your child is a baby, not a paycheck."
Hash looked bashed as Sam walked through the door.
William watched her leave, he put on a macho voice, "Yeah, well," he pretended to cleared his throat, "keep it down in here. I don't want to have to come back." he closed the door and ran after Sam.
Sam was at the elevator. She put Lily down and was about to press the button, when William reached out and pushed it. He allowed Sam and Lily to walk in first, then he entered, pushed the button and looked at Sam, "I'm sorry, do you need me to press the button for your floor?"
"Funny." Sam said tonelessly, "Don't try anything smart, I have a kid here."
William bent down toward Lily, "Hey, cutie, you want a quarter?" he pulled one out of his pocket and showed it to her.
"Yes!" Lily happily took the quarter.
William straightened up, "So, how much is it going to cost me for you to be nice to me?"
"How nice do you want me to be?" Sam asked.
"Nice enough to get you on my mattress." William answered.
"Beckett!" Sam scolded.
"Please, call me William." he smiled.
"Well, William," Sam said, "it seems Lily isn't the only child on this elevator."
"You should talk, Miss Over The Top Bubbly." William said.
"Yeah, I'm bubbly," Sam said, "but, whatever, I think I'm fine the way I am."
"Oh, I agree." William responded.
"William..." Sam began, but he interuppted.
"So, how about you bring your fine self to my apartment and you and I--"
"Lily, earmuffs!" Sam said quickly.
Lily covered her ears and watched William's mouth open and close while Sam's face turned into a frown. Sam, who didn't notice that Lily had lowered her hands, proceeded to answer.
"Your idea is fine and dandy and all," Sam said, "but how about instead I--"
"Earmuffs, kid." William said.
This time, Lily watched as William's mouth curved into a smile and Sam's frown deepened.
"Dirty mouth, huh?" William said, "I like it."
The elevator door opened.
"Nice, Beckett." Sam said unimpressed.
She held Lily's hand as they walked out, William followed and they headed to their apartments.
As Sam faced her door, William spoke, "You know, when the kid is gone, you can come over to my place."
Sam turned to face him, "I don't think so." Behind her back, Sam was placing the key into the hole and turning the knob, "Do you talk to all women like this, or am I just special?"
William grinned, "You're the only one I've ever had to try hard with." he admitted.
"Lucky me." Sam said sarcastically.
William glanced at Lily behind Sam's back, "Is that why you're so stubborn with me?"
"Why?" Sam asked.
"Because you're sleeping with Wentz?"
Sam immediately opened the door behind her, "Lily, go watch tv." she gave Lily a slight push inside and closed the door. She crossed her arms, "Would you stop bothering me if I were?"
William smirked, "Probably not."
"I am not sleeping with him!" Sam snapped.
"Then, why aren't you sleeping with me?" William asked.
"Because I don't want to. When are you going to give up?" Sam asked.
"When I get you in bed." William answered.
"Good luck." Sam said.
"I don't need it, you'll come around." and with that, William leaned in and pressed his lips against hers.
Sam was caught off guard and kissed him back in surprise. She came to her senses, pulled away, rushed into the apartment, leaned back against the door and sighed. Almost instantly, there was a knock on the door. She quickly opened it, it was William.
"You left your key on the door." he held up the key.
"Thanks." Sam quickly grabbed the key.
She was about to close the door when William stopped her.
"Are you coming over later?"
"Unlikely, Mr. Key Holder." Sam said.
"Oh, I'm the key holder, all right." he said.
Sam began to close the door again.
"Wait, wait, wait!" William said, "Why aren't you coming over?"
"Because you're not my type." Sam answered truthfully.
"Maybe I'm your type in the dark." William said.
"Good night, lover boy." Sam said.
"It will be if you come over!" William yelled before she closed the door.