Status: Hiatus, maybe? Gets updated very slowly.

100 Ways

#1

1. Wear silly clothes with confidence.

Personally, I find that there is no outfit is truly complete without a plastic tiara and a cape.

However, now that I think about it, whenever I wore my precious "cape" I always donned a huge beach towel with obnoxious cartoon characters printed on one side or my sarong that my mother had purchased for me in San Diego when I was eight years old.

I've never been normal. Not really. I rarely conformed to what people wanted me to be. If I ever did, it was because I personally felt like it, not because they told me. Unless my mother told me to. In which case, I did what she said immediately because my mother scares the shit out of me. And as well she should. What kind of mother would she be if her child wasn't terrified of her.

But I digress.

I went to a Catholic school for four years. Kindergarten through third grade. Uniforms every single days except for Picture Day and Buck-a-Jean Day. We took our yearbook pictures for Picture Day and on Buck-A-Jean Day we had to pay a dollar to wear clothes from home. Otherwise, it was mandatory to wear the uniforms. But even as a child, I altered my clothes. Not in extreme ways like teenagers do these days, but in the usual childish ways. I wouldn't wear a polo shirt under my jumper. I wore red shoes. I carried a tote bag instead of a backpack. And God forbid if I wore two different socks. Little things.

I've always been this way. Always. So it was natural for that trait to stick with me. I rarely wore outfits that followed modern day trends. My typical outfit would consist of bright purple pants, rainbow tiger striped boots, and one to three different colored shirts. I like to stand out. I don't talk much when I'm around people I don't know out of uncontrollable shyness so I always attempt to show my real personality through my clothes. It's fun.

People don't like that though. Especially if you're a teenager. That kind of thing is only allowed on Halloween or for little kids. Of course it's okay for the children. Their beautiful and undeveloped minds don't know any better. But that's okay. Because the adults of today will push them down until all their imagination is gone. But there are the lone few of us who keep their imaginations. And some of them, like me, express that creativity through what they wear.

I went to the mall in a extremely bizarre outfit a couple of years ago. Bizarre even for me. I wore bright blue cheetah print tights under a gray miniskirt. I pulled on a red shirt and my black Converse that I had painted on polka dots on to. I grabbed my orange and black sarong and tied it around my neck so it looked like a cape and then placed a pink tiara that I had bought at Disneyland on my head. I went to the mall.

I was there with a friend but I was only to be ditched by him to be left with the guy he brought with him. His name was Zack and we became fast friends. I never really even noticed the stares I was given until he pointed them out.

"Doesn't all the staring bothering you?" was what he told me.

When I told him no, he said I should create a scene. I promised I was able to create an entire musical if I truly wanted to. So he gave me a dare.

I skipped up to a woman who looked extremely bitter and had a depressed looking boy following behind her. I wrapped my arms around her and yelled at her, "Hello, Mother! Would you like some fucking blue eyeshadow?"

She did look rather uncomfortable. So I squeezed her harder and said, "In other news, Jesus loves you! Make good choices, Mother. Toodles, Mother, toodles!"

I had no idea what Zack hoped to accomplish by giving me that dare. Perhaps he didn't believe me that I truly did not care what other people thought of me.

And in my opinion, neither should anyone else. People are so busy thinking about what everyone else thinks about them. If they really thought about it, I bet they would be extremely surprised to find how much people do not care what they look like or how they act. Anybody who brings down others like that only have extremely insecure feelings about themselves.

So just flip off the world. You shouldn't care what those goddamn mindless people think. You are you. For you and only you. Life isn't about just pleasing others. You exist. That's important. The second you conform to what they tell you to, you lose yourself.

And then what's the point?

But yeah, if you do anything that is slightly different, they look at you like you should be in a mental hospital or killed. Oh, sure, if you're a kid, it's okay because you "don't know any better." But when you're past the age of 8, they all look at you in disgust and practically scream at your parents, "Shame on your face for letting your child express their individuality."

It's completely asanine. And I'm about to start ranting, so I'll stop and get to the point.

Go to the mall with bright blue leggings, a red t-shirt, black converse with Wite-Out polka dots, your cape, and your pink plastic tiara. Go up to the first person who gives you a dirty look and scream some weird random thing.

In my case, I went up to a middle-aged woman, hugged her and screamed, "HELLO, MOTHER! WOULD YOU LIKE FUCKING BLUE EYE SHADOW? In other news, Jesus loves you! Make good choices, Mother. Toodles, Mother, toodles. Make good choices!" And then I ran off.

Flip off every person who gives you a dirty look and blow a kiss to everyone who smiles at you.

So yes, my darlings,
make an outrageous fashion statement,
pretend you're little again (even though you still are),
and don't give a shit what people think about you.