This Won't Hurt More Than a Pinch

Lovers Who Uncover

The rest that I hoped to get never came. Sure, I slept whenever sleep was possible. Nearly every minute spent at my apartment was spent sleeping. But I never felt really rested. Some nights I would sleep for twelve hours and still want more sleep.

Eventually Gabe forced me to go to the doctor. I was diagnosed with depression.

At first I thought it couldn't have been true. Being with Gabe was the happiest I'd ever been. But then I was reminded of what had happened in the past. Everything had caught up with me and I was mentally paying for it now.

I couldn't work. My job, usually a huge stress reliever and an escape from life, was put on hold. With the medication I was put on, I was out of it most of the time.

Gabe was usually home to make sure I was okay, but there was a fog over that point in my life. I remember a lot of sleeping, a lot of crying for no real reason, a lot of sympathy from friends and family.

There were a few nice times when he'd take me out for dinner and show me off like a prize.

"You don't have to do this," I told him once when were at some over-the-top fancy restaurant.

"Of course I do," he smiled. "You need to get out, get some air."

"That's what we have a balcony for," I explained.

"I will not see you cooped up in our apartment, Mae," he frowned.

"Where else would I be?" I asked and yawned.

"I dunno. I was kind of hoping we could rent a house for the rest of the summer. Someone far away, so we can just get away."

I smiled and took a sip of my wine. "I wouldn't want to leave New York. Besides, I'm hoping this doesn't last the rest of the summer.." I sighed.

"But what if it does? Don't you just want a little time off from the city?" he asked.

"No," I responded firmly.

And we left it at that.

One night, thinking that constantly being around Gabe wasn't a help, Vee took me out for drinks and dancing. I hadn't been to a club in ages, probably because I didn't need to go to one, but it was a nice escape.

I'd had a few too many drinks when Vee dropped me off at home. I stumbled into our bedroom and Gabe was anxiously waiting for me.

In a matter of seconds his lips were smashed against mine and he was grinding me into the wall like he'd had a couple drinks himself.

"Gabe, oh God," I growled as bit my neck. "Fuck me now."

It was the first time we'd had sex since depression had taken over my life. Was it a problem that I preferred drunk sex? Probably.

Afterwards, just lying in bed and looking at the moon and the lights from the street below, Gabe asked me, "Where were you supposed to go on your honeymoon?"

I sighed. "Bringing him up again, are we?"

"I never said his name. I just wanted to know where you were going," Gabe traced the outline of my body with his fingers. God I loved when he did that.

"The Bahamas," I replied.

His eyes lit up. "Then let's go there!"

"What? Why?"

"Because you and I both need a relaxing vacation far away from everyone we know," he explained.

"I guess.."

"It'll be fun, Mae. We can relax on the beach all day and have plenty of romantic nights."

I smiled. "That might be nice actually."

He smiled back. "Let's do it."

So three weeks after I would have gone with Devin, I went to the Bahamas with Gabe.
♠ ♠ ♠
as I stated before, I'm a terribly busy person.
please accept this update as an apology.