Sequel: We've Lost Control
Status: Complete.

Your Love Will Be Safe With Me

This All Was Only Wishful Thinkin'

The plane ride to Boston wasn’t bad at all. We stopped in Phoenix to unload and pick up more passengers then had an hour and a half layover in Chicago at Midway Airport. At Midway, we had some lunch to pass the time. When I saw “we” I meant Nick; I could never eat anything the day of when flying because my nerves were so bad. So while Nick ate, I read the latest issue of Nylon Magazine.

We arrived at Logan Airport around six in the evening and collected our luggage from baggage claim. Nick couldn’t have looked anymore happier than when he saw his sister holding up a sign that said “Jackass Santino” outside the baggage claim. He immediately pulled her into a hug and said he missed her, which she replied with a laugh and “I missed you, too, Faggot,” making me laugh.

My laugh brought the attention of the brunette hugging my husband and she pulled away to look at me. This was when I actually got to look at her. She was, like I said, brunette. The color of her hair was what I presumed Nick’s would look like if he didn’t want to be a fake ginger. You could see the similarities between the two. They had the same shaped face and were the same complexion with freckles scattered across the bridge of her nose and carried over to her cheeks right below her eyes. They had the same smile as well, but instead of green eyes like Nick, she had a light brown and instead of the big nose that adorned Nick’s face, she had a small one.

“You must be Sawyer.” She smiled cheerfully.

I nodded, “Yes, I am.” I was quite nervous meeting her even though Nick reassured me plenty of times on the flight there that I would be fine and that they would love me.

“I’m Michelle.” She greeted as she stuck out her hand for me to shake.

I gladly grasped her hand and shook, “Nice to meet you.” I said.

“Likewise.” She said and just like that, our hands dropped and she turned back to Nick, who was smiling at the both of us. “Mom and Dad are waiting for your arrival.”

“Okay then let’s go!” He exclaimed and began walking to the parking lot, tugging his large suitcase behind him.

“Where are you parked?” He asked, glancing over his shoulder at her.

“Lot B. I figured you couldn’t wait to drive Big Red, so I drove it here.”

He turned and smiled widely at her while my brow furrowed. “Big Red?” I questioned.

“It’s the name he gave his Jeep.” Michelle answered as she pulled the keys out of her pocket and tossed them to Nick.

“Hey, MishMash, I love you.” He said as he stared at his keys in his hands. The both of us laughed at his excitement.

“I kind of figured he’s probably dick of driving that big ass van.” She said as she began to lead us to his Jeep.

“Well I’ve been driving around Sawyers car all week, but it’s not the same.” He said as he laced his fingers with mine.

“Oh really?” She turned and looked at me, “What kind of car do you have?”

“A Jetta.” I answered with a light smile.

She nodded then turned to look at Nick. “Not the same.”

I was offended, but I didn’t say anything.
---
We piled into the Cherokee and were off headed to Braintree. Nick was driving and Michelle took the backseat, saying that I was the owner of the car’s girlfriend, so I was obligated to. The drive to the Santino residence was a thirty minute ride and we passed the time by listening to the local country station. Very loudly. The latest Taylor Swift single had Nick belting out the lyrics.

As we passed the “Welcome To The City of Braintree, Massachusetts” sign on the highway, my nerves began to make their was throughout my body. I started to fidget and thought back to when Nick was meeting my parents. I knew exactly how he felt now. I worried about how I looked since I’d been on an airplane for a majority of the day. I had cover up over my bruises and I was wearing a pair of black yoga pants, once of Nick’s white v-necks and his gray American Apparel hoodie. I was even wearing sandals. My hair was up in a messy bun and my bangs were hanging across my forehead, not straightened. I pulled down the visor to look in the mirror, but realized there wasn’t a light.

“What are you doing?” Nick asked.

“N-nothing.” I quickly flipped the visor back up and began chewing on my thumbnail.

He smirked, “You’re nervous.” He said as a smile slowly spread across his face. “That’s cute.” I groaned.

“You’ll be fine, Sawyer.” Michelle said from the backseat. I hoped she was right.

A couple minutes later, Nick pulled into the driveway of a cute looking two-story house. It was light blue and had white shutters on the windows of the top story.

I gulped as I got out of the Jeep. Nick was already at the back, getting our luggage out while Michelle walked up to the door, opening the screen.

“I’m really excited for you to be here right now.” He smiled genuinely at me.

I smiled back as I took my suitcase from his hand. “I’m happy to be here, even if I’m nervous as fuck.” He laughed then brought me into his side, wrapping his arm around my neck.

Inside, we were greeted by his dog, Angus. He was excited to see Nick and Nick vice versa. The look of happiness that washed over his face made me smile. He immediately pushed his suitcase off to the side and leaned down to greet him. I stood there awkwardly, but kept smiling at his delight.

“Nick, Sweetie!” I heard a woman’s voice exclaim.

My head snapped in its direction and saw a woman in her fourties/fifties standing in the entry way to the kitchen (which we were standing in) from what I presumed was the living room.

“Hi, Ma.” He said, standing up right again.

She ignored him, though, and focused her attention on me. “You muse be Sawyer.” She smiled warmly at me.

I smiled back, “Yeah, that’s me.” I said softly. My nerves were killing me as she walked over.

“Look at you!” She exclaimed. I cringed; she thought I was hideous. Great. “You are so much prettier than the pictures I’ve seen.” She was standing in front of me now. “The internet doesn’t do you justice.”

I smiled, “Thank you.”

“Oh, you’re very welcome. I’m glad Nick found someone as gorgeous as you.”

“Awh, you’re too kind, Mrs. Santino.” I said, blushing slightly.

“Oh none of that Mrs. Santino crap, Call me Diana.”

I nodded and kept smiling, “All right Diana.

“Bernie! Get in here and meet Nick’s girlfriend!” She yelled “She’s the sweetest thing!”

I blushed more as I looked over at Nick. He was giving me an I-told-you-so look and I just rolled my eyes at him.

“Sawyer, this is Nick’s father.” Diana said and I turned back to her.

A man about the same age as her and the same height as Nick was standing next to her.

“Hi, Mr. Santino, it’s nice to meet you.” I stuck my hand out for him to shake, but he ignored it.

“I’m not going to shake your hand.” My smile dropped. “Someone that stole Nick’s heart deserves a hug.” He said then pulled me into his chest, surprising me.

Nick chuckled at my expression when his dad let go.

“Now that we’re acquainted, Nick, why don’t you take Sawyer up to your room and I’ll start dinner.” His mother said then turned to me, “Are tacos okay?” She asked me and I nodded.

“Anything is fine.”

She smiled, “Great.”
---
“I told you they’d love you.” Nick said as he lead me to his bedroom. We were towing our luggage along with us and Angus followed.

“Oh shut up.” I laughed. “Everyone gets nervous when they meet their love’s parents.”

He stopped in front of a door and turned to me, “Awh, I love you, too.” I smiled to myself as he turned back to the door and opened it. “This is my room.” He shoved his way through, “It’s pretty messy and much smaller than yours back in LA, but this is where I grew up.”

I looked around at the four walled room. It was painted a royal blue color with a double bed in the corner caddy-corner from a desk with an iMac on it. There were quite a bit of instruments lying around but mostly guitars. A few posters hung on the walls, one of Johnny Cash and one of The Beatles. “Sorry about the mess.” He said as he quickly went around the room and picked up his dirty clothes.

I chuckled, “I don’t understand how you could have clothes lying around when you have so many in that suitcase you have.”

He smirked, “I like clothes.” He said then went over to his closet and shoved the dirty clothes into his hamper.

I pushed my suitcase against the wall then plopped down onto the bed. “Comfy?” He asked as he moved his suitcase to lie flat in the middle of the room.

I nodded, “Very.” He smiled to himself then began to sort through his tornado of a suitcase. “You’re really doing that right now?” I asked in disbelief.

He nodded, “Yup. It’s the first thing I do when I get home from tour.

“Laundry?”

He nodded again. “Yes, laundry.” I couldn’t help it, I laughed. He looked up and glared at me, “Is that so hard to believe?” He questioned.

Giggling, I nodded, “ Very much so.”

He rolled his eyes, “Whatever.”

After a couple minutes of silence as he unloaded his suitcase and I watched, I began to speak again, “So, when are we going to tell them?” I asked.

He glanced up at me then went back to sorting, “Tonight?” He suggested. “At dinner.”

I cringed, “Are you sure? They barely just met me.”

He shrugged “They love you already and it’s not like they can make us get divorced or something.”

I sighed, “Okay.”

He smiled suddenly, “I’m excited we’re telling people finally.”

I smiled back, “Me too.”
---
“Sawyer,” Nick’s mother said to me as we ate dinner that night. I looked up from my taco at her across the table from me. “How old are you again?” She asked.

“Uhm, I’m eighteen.”

She nodded, “So, you’ve graduated high school?”

I nodded this time, “I did last month.”

“Congratulations.” she smiled and I thanked her then took a bite from my taco. “So you live in LA?” She asked and I, once again, nodded. “Nick mentioned you live with Hanley, where do your parents live?”

Pausing to wipe my mouth, I realized she was interrogating me. “They live in Arizona, right on the river in Parker.” I explained.

“How long have you been living in LA?”

I paused again, this time to calculate the time in my head. “Since I was about sixteen and a half.”

Her eyes widened, “Wow, that’s pretty young to be living on your own.”

I shrugged, “It was for the best.”

“Why didn’t you move with your parents?”

I was about to answer, but Nick cut me off. “Mom, this isn’t twenty questions.” He chuckled awkwardly.

“I just want to know more about Sawyer.” She told her son.

“It’s fine, I don’t mind sharing. “I smiled warmly at her, “My schooling was different than normal high school and my parents thought it was best for me to stay in California rather than move out there with them.” I explained and she nodded thoughtfully.

“Nick, you’re dating a girl younger than me.” Michelle said and raised her eyebrow questioningly at him.

It was quiet for a second and I took this as an opportunity to look at his parents. His dad was going on eating his taco while his mom looked between the three of us. Nick cleared his throat.

“Uh, yeah.” He said.

“Is she eighteen, yet?” She asked and my brow furrowed since I had just said I was.

“Yes, she is, Michelle.” They were talking as if I weren’t sitting right there with them. I felt uncomfortable. “I actually took her to Vegas for her eighteenth birthday.”

I looked over at him as I pushed around the refried beans on my plate. Was he going to tell them?

“I remember you telling me about that.” His mom mused.

“Don’t you think she’s a little young for you?” Michelle asked. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair.

“No! She’s only three years younger than me. Age is just a number.” He sounded so angry.

“But are you wasting your time? Is she worth actually bringing home to meet us?” I felt like I was just punched in the gut and felt tears brim my eyes, but willed myself not to cry.

“Michelle!” His mother yelled. “Why would you even say that? Of course we want Sawyer here!”

“She just doesn’t seem right for him!” I stayed silent as they all began getting worked up.

“She is right for me!” Nick exclaimed.

“Hey!” Bernie yelled, all of our eyes snapped to him. “Sawyer is sitting right here and she look very upset.” Now all eyes turned to me and I looked down ashamed. Nick grabbed my hand in my lap and squeezed. “Now Michelle, what you said was very uncalled for and I think you need to apologize. You don’t know Sawyer. For all you know, they could be the best couple out there. Just be happy for your brother.”

I looked up at him and smiled slightly. At least I had someone that liked me.

Michelle sighed, “Sorry.” She mumbled It would have to suffice.

There was an awkward silence looming in the air. The crunching of taco shells and the occasional clank of ice in glasses were the only thing keeping the room from being completely quiet. I’d lost my appetite when the first insult came out of Michelle’s mouth.

Nick cleared his throat for the second time, “So, we have something to tell you guys.” He was not going to tell them now.

I snapped my head to look at him as all eyes focused on him. “Uhm,” He began, “while we were in Vegas,” he paused and looked at me, “we, uh,” he paused again “we got uh,,, married.”

Complete silence.

We did not go about this the right way.

“I’m sorry, I think I misheard you. You did what now?” Diana asked in shock.

“We got married, Mom.” She stared at him, mouth agape.

“You got married?!” Michelle yelled.

Oh, great.

I brought my hand and rested my forehead in it. I could feel a headache forming behind my eyes.

“What possessed you to get married in Vegas?!” Diana yelled.

They completely hated me now. Definitely.

“I love her, Mom. We’re good together.”

Good luck, Nick, you’re going to be disowned.

“How long after you met her did you get… get…married?” I flinched at the way she practically sneered the word out of her mouth.

“It was day five.” He said confidently.

“Nicholas Bernard Santino, you are out of your damn mind!” She exclaimed.

“No Mom, I’m not! We’ve been married for five months now and I love her. We’re doing fine. We’re great. We’re fucking perfect. Just leave it be. We’re married. There’s nothing you can do about it. We’re going to be together whether you like it or not.” He all but yelled.

I reached out and grabbed his hand, squeezing it lovingly. He was close with his mom and I knew that. For him to stand up for our relationship against her showed exactly how much he cared for me.

“You ruined your life.” Michelle said before standing up and storming out of the dinging room.

“I honestly cannot believe you, Nicholas. You got out to LA for a week, hook up with some girl you don’t even know, take her to Vegas for her eighteenth birthday and decide to get married?” She fumed. “I just-I can’t believe how stupid you could get.” She stood up and walked out of the room. This was not going that great.

Bernie sat in his chair, not saying a word. He didn’t even seem all that phased by what was going on.

Finally, Nick sighed, “Are you going to go off on how stupid I am now, Dad?” He asked glumly.

Surprisingly, he shook his head, “No.” I looked at him curiously, “I’m happy for you, Nick. I’m glad you found someone.” I raised an eyebrow at him, “When you know you just know.

Nick looked over and smiled at me lovingly, “I knew right when I saw her. When she went off on me for breaking into her apartment.” I smiled.

“I’m really happy for you, Son.” He smiled softly at us, “Your mother just doesn’t want you to replace her in your life.” I frowned now. “I’ll talk to her.” He said then got up and left the room.

Sighing, I continued to look at Nick “Well,” He started as he leaned back in his chair in defeat. “I really saw that going so much better.” He sighed this time. “I don’t understand what’s up with Michelle. She has no reason to just be hating on you.” He sighed again, this time in annoyance.

I leaned over and squeezed his hand, “It’s fine. She has a reason to. I just show up here and you tell them we’re married. I’d be upset, too.”

“She still doesn’t have the right to bash you right to your face.”

I shrugged, “At least she’s not being fake to my face.”

He nodded, “I’m just so angry at them.”

I patted his hand, “Just give them time.”

He smiled weakly at me, you know I love you."

I smiled back, "I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just thought you'd like to know this was eight pages in Word. Yup.
Went to Warped Tour on Wednesday. Went mostly for Breathe Carolina so my friend could get her shoes from Kyle [turns out he's just going to mail them to her]. Then he let me take pictures of him for my photography project. I love that boy. He's family.<3
You'll be hearing a lot about Breathe Carolina in the sequel, so you should get acquainted with them if you aren't already. I really can't wait to start posting the sequel. I love it. :]

Oh by the way, I would really appreciate it if you guys commented, please.

Title credit: Cute Without the 'E' (Cut From The Team) by Taking Back Sunday