Sequel: We've Lost Control
Status: Complete.

Your Love Will Be Safe With Me

You’ll Never Sleep, It’s All in Your Head!

In the morning, I woke up before Nick. We’d gotten back to the hotel at almost two in the mornings and we’d passed out from exhaustion. It really had been a tiresome day. I ended up waking up every hour for no apparent reason except for anxiety. Even though Nick was lying right next to me, I was still afraid. Would it ever go away? As the night progressed, I’d be away for longer periods of time. The light and sound from the TV kept me company. Eight AM rolled around and I had had enough.

I slipped out of bed and padded my way over to the bathroom. Sighing, I pealed my clothes off and got in the shower. There wasn’t much else for me to do. I let the hot water run down my bare back, loosening the tense muscles in my shoulders. I sighed again.

Nick was still fast asleep when I walked over to my suitcase in nothing but a towel. I pulled a pair of laced tights, an oversized gray sweater, and undergarments out of the beg then slipped them on while yawning.

My hair was soaked, but I didn’t want to get my blow-dryer out. Plus, it would make too much noise, so I opted for towel-drying and letting nature take its course with it. That didn’t take long. Sighing, I looked around the bathroom with a soaked towel hanging from my hand. There was nothing to do.

As a last resort, I rummaged through my toiletries bag in search of anything. A bottle of red nail polish caught my eye. I plucked it out from between my makeup bag and curling iron then made my way back into the room. The Today Show was on, Matt Lauer was blabbing about some random story no one really gave two shits about.

I pulled the chair out from the desk and sat down, facing the TV. As Matt Lauer droned on, I brought my left leg up and rested my foot on the cushion while my chin sat on my knee. One by one, I painted my toes. All ten were perfectly painted in fifteen minutes. With my right leg on the cushion still, I leaned back in defeat. I was bored.

My head fell to the side and my eyes went to Nick. He was still sound asleep to which I sighed at. I debated on texting someone back home, but it was still six in the morning. I was stumped on what to do.

Finally, I dragged my Macbook out of my suitcase and brought it to the bed. As I sat on the floor cross-legged, the laptop sat in front of me on the bed. I checked my email, social networking sites, and browsed some online stores before I heard the sheets move and the redhead under them groan. I watched as he lifted his head then dropped it back down onto his pillow.

“Good morning, Sunshine.” I said in a baby voice and I saw him smile.

“What time Is it?” He mumbled.

“9:47.” I answered after I looked at the alarm clock.

He lifted his head and looked at me in confusion, “How long have you been up? Your hair is wet.”

“I woke up at eight.” I said as I shut the laptop.

“Why on Earth would you wake up that early?” He fell back onto the pillow, the side of his face squishing into the feathers and the crook of his left arm.

“I couldn’t sleep.” I shrugged.

“Well what did you get done while normal people were sleeping?” He smirked.

I smiled as I put the laptop on the floor, “Well,” I drawled out as I climbed up on the bed “I took a shower and I checked my shit on the internet.” I was right next to him now. “And” I dragged it all the way out. “I painted my toes bright red.”

He smiled, “Productive.” I laughed then leaned down and kissed him. “Mmm. Minty.” He said when we pulled away.

“Wish I could say the same for you.” I smirked and he playfully glared at me. “So, what are we doing today?” I asked.

“Hmm,” He thought as closed his eyes, “What do you feel like doing?” He asked and I shrugged.

“I’d like to go shopping, but we don’t have to.”

He opened his eyes then shook his head, “No, that sounds good. We’ll go to the mall down the street.”

I smiled brightly. “Great. Can never have enough clothes.”

He laughed, “I’m with you on that one.”
---
We went to the mall and bought bags of new clothes and shoes. I knew Neck could shop, but I wasn’t aware ho much. After shopping for what seemed like all day, we returned back to his house where he put our clothes in the washing machine.

“It’s good to see you kids made up.” Diana said when we walked into the kitchen hand in hand.

“Yeah, he apologized for how stupid he was and everything was okay.” I explained.

“Well that’s good.” She smiled. “I called most of our relatives and family friends and told them we’re having a bar-be-que on Saturday.” She told us. “Most of them said they’d be here.”

Nick nodded, “Okay, sweet. What time?”

“I would say around two. We’re making tri-tip.” She smiled.

All of the talk about family dinners got me thinking about all of the times my family would get together on the weekends. It kind of got my spirits own.

“Excuse me, I need to go make a phone call.” I said then stepped out of the kitchen and went to Nick’s room.

I dialed my dad’s number on my phone and waited for him to pick up.

“Hey! Long time, no talk!” He answered, immediately brightening me up.

“I know! What’s up with that?” I replied with a laugh.

“I don’t know! You tell me!”

“I guess I’ve been too busy.

He laughed loudly, “Whatever!” I smiled as my chest panged; I missed them. “So what’s up?” He asked.

“Nothin’ much, just chillin’ in Massachusetts.” I said nonchalantly as I leaned back on Nick’s bed.

“What are you doing in Massachusetts?!”

“Visiting Nick’s parents.

“Huh.” He said. “That serious, eh?”

I laughed; if he only knew. “Guess so.”

“How’s it over there? Are they treating you nicely?” He asked.

“Yeah, they’re treating me great.” It was true, once we got passed everything with his mother, she was wonderful.

“When are you going home?”

“That’s part of the reason I’m calling. We want to fly into Arizona on the way back and spend a couple of days with you guys.”

“Oh, really?” I could tell he knew there was more to the trip than just a visit.

“mmhmm.” I got up and looked out Nick’s bedroom window, it looked out over the backyard.

“I guess that would be okay. Flying into Phoenix?”

“Yup. We leave on Sunday.“

“Okay, just tell us what your flight information is and we’ll pick you up.”

I agreed then talked to him a little while longer before hanging up. I turned from the window and saw Nick standing in the doorway “Hey.” I smiled.

“Hi.” He smiled back. “Who were you talking to?” He asked as he sat down on the bed.

“My dad. He said it’d be fine if we flew into Phoenix and stayed with them for a few days.” I sat down next to him and he slung his arm over my shoulders.

“Oh yeah?”

“mhm.” I leaned into his body which he didn’t object to.

“Are you nervous about telling them?” He asked.

I thought about it. I had been thinking about it. I knew they would freak out. “Yeah.” I answered.

“It’ll all be fine,” He kissed the side of my head, “I promise.” He couldn’t promise that.
---
That night for dinner, we all went to dinner at Chili’s. When I say all I mean Nick, Nick’s parents, Michelle, and myself. I hadn’t seen Michelle since the first night when she stormed out of the kitchen. We hadn’t said anything to each other, but I felt uncomfortable under her mean gaze.

I ordered a salad which she scoffed at and said “Typical California girl.”

Nick glared at her from across the table, but didn’t say anything. Seeing he wasn’t going to do anything, I decided to take it into my own hands.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked

She looked at me through her long, blonde bangs, “It means that you’re just like every girl in California eating a small salad and wearing their leggings as pants with oversized shirts and too tall heels. You’re a typical stereotype. I bet you throw up when you’re done eating, too.” She sneered.

My mouth dropped open as I was left completely speechless.

“Michelle, that was uncalled for.” Diana said in which Michelle rolled her eyes.

I looked at Nick, but his expression mirrored mine. Finally, he turned to her, “Why are you being such a bitch? He asked and she scoffed.

“She doesn’t deserve you, Nick. You’re so much better than her.”

I frowned as any ounce of confidence I had vanished from my body.

“No, Michelle, if anything, I’m not good enough for her.” Not true. “You have no right to judge her. You don’t even know her. She doesn’t eat a lot because she had surgery to make her stomach smaller and can’t eat as much. She definitely doesn’t throw up her food afterward because she doesn’t have to. She wears four inch heels because she’s self conscious of her height. She hardly wears leggings, it’s always tights and she wears my t-shirts that look huge on her because she’s so tiny.” He took a breath, “She’s not a typical California girl because she didn’t even grow up in LA. She doesn’t obsess over her body, hair, or makeup. She’s perfect and I would really appreciate it if you got over yourself.” He finished.

The table was silent. Everyone was taking in Nick’s words, especially Michelle. I looked at him and took hold of his hand that was sitting on the table. He looked over and tried to smile, but he couldn’t muster up enough strength to do it, so I squeezed his hand.

After that, Michelle kept her mouth shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too happy with the second half of this chapter. I like the first half, though. Anyways, I typed out the next four chapters last night. There's about 42 chapters of this story all together.

Thank you comfortably confused for always commenting. I'd love to see more comments, though. Like for reals.

Title credit: Only Pretend by The Animal Upstairs (AKA The Butcher from The Academy Is... check out theanimalupstairs.bandcamp.com to download his music for free)