Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 6.

Athalya was in her room, brushing her hair while Jimmy was still eating his breakfast in the kitchen, talking with her grandparents. They seem to have taken a liking for Jimmy. She had never seen her grandmother so happy, she made a huge pile of pancakes for breakfast.

“Thank you for the awesome breakfast!” Jimmy said.

Athalya could hear him, her door was open.

“You’re welcome Jimmy dear, thank you for Athalya. I mean, since she arrived here, she wasn’t herself… And yesterday we finally saw a glimpse of the young girl she used to be before everything happened. The door will always be open for you Jimmy. We mean it.” Spoke Suzan.

Athalya dropped the brush, and it landed with a soft ‘thud’ on the carpet. She started at her reflection on the small mirror and realized that she did have changed a bit since she arrived here. Her skin was paler, she had dark circles under her eyes and her eyes had lost their brightness. She bit her lip, shook her head and grabbed her eyeliner.

She was still mourning over the lost of her mother, but she knew she’d have to get over it eventually. And now seems like a good time to start it. She sighed deeply, and turned around, grabbed her socks and sat on her bed, putting them on. Then she sprayed a little of perfume and grabbed her backpack.

She made her way downstairs, hearing Jimmy talking with her grandfather about his car that was barely working anymore.

“Hey, you know what? Listen, once school is over, just stop by and I’ll take a look at your car, okay?” he said, looking at Jimmy who was about to get up since Athalya had just arrived in the kitchen.

Jimmy opened his mouth to protest.

“There’s nothing you can do to stop him now Jimmy…” Athalya said, chuckling.

“Ahh fine, then… But you sure it doesn’t bother you? I could always ask my friend to take a look at it or whatever…” trailed off Jimmy, rubbing his neck.

“No, no, no! I’ll take a look at it!” he said.

“Okay Papy! Well, I need to go now! The bus won’t wait for me! And Johnny will freak out if I miss the bus once more!” she said, walking in the hall and putting her shoes on.

“Oh no, no bus for you miss! I’m driving you to school, and I will do everyday single day from now on.” Said Jimmy, crossing his arms over his chest.

Athalya’s mouth dropped open, and she looked up to Jimmy.

“No you won’t!” she said, after a few seconds of silence.

“Yes I will Athalya! Now stop being stubborn, grab you hoodie and let’s go. We’re picking up Shortshit on our way.” He said, before he turned around and walked back in the kitchen to say good bye to Athalya’s grandparents.

“Thank you for having me over.” He said, hugging Suzan and then shaking hands with her husband.

“No problem Jimmy, and remember, you can come over whenever you want!” said Suzan as Jimmy patted Athalya’s head, grabbed her backpack and walked out of the house, towards the car.

“Bye Mamie!” she said, hugging her grandmother and then went to hug her grandfather before she ran outside and got in Jimmy’s car as he was throwing the covers and pillow in the trunk, to make some space for Johnny.

“Let’s go now! Oh, do you mind if I put some music on?” he asked, looking at Athalya as she was buckling her seatbelt.

“Nope, go ahead, it’s your car!” she said, smiling.

“Alright!” and he pushed a button, and immediately Metallica started blasting though the speakers, making Athalya sink down in her seat.

“Sorry!” quickly apologized Jimmy, he lowered down the volume and then started the engine.

Jimmy rolled down his window, stopped at the bus stop and got up, so his head was through the window, and waved at Johnny who was patiently waiting for the bus.

“Yo Seward! Get in!” yelled Jimmy. It only took him a few seconds to realize that Athalya was also in the car and he ran to the car, opened the back door and slide on the backseat.

“Thanks!” he said to Jimmy as Jimmy sat back down and his feet hit the gas pedal.

“Hey Johnny, how are you?” asked Athalya, turning a little so she could see Johnny who had a bright smile on his face.

“I’m good! And you?” he asked, trying to hide his enthusiasm as he was sitting in a senior’s car.

“I’m fine, thanks!” she replied with a smile and sat back down properly.

“Is that Metallica?” asked Johnny.

“Sure is kiddo!” replied Jimmy, raising the volume a little, not before glancing worriedly at Athalya, wondering if it was okay with her.

She just smiled and nodded.

“You know, I love Metallica! I went to see them when I was thirteen!” randomly commented Johnny.

“Yeah? I went to see them last year with my best friend. They’re pretty awesome to see live!” said Jimmy, as he parked the car and killed the engine.

“Oh yeah!” agreed Johnny as the three of them got out of the car at the same time than Matt, Zacky, Michelle and Val came out of Matt’s car.

“Athalya! What’s up?” asked Michelle, smiling brightly at her.

“Hey!” she replied, waving at her and at Val too.

“S’up Frenchie? Got a ride from Jimmy, eh?” asked Matt, doing the man hug thing with Jimmy and then nodding in Johnny’s direction, as an acknowledgment.

“Hey, aren’t you that kid that always annoys us during band practice?” asked Zacky, pointing at Johnny. “The one who says that our bassist sucks…” he added.

“His name is Johnny!” said Jimmy, just as Athalya opened her mouth to speak. “He’s Athalya's friend and in most of your little brother’s class.” He added, before grabbing Athalya’s bag and swinging it over his shoulder, still holding his in his hand.

“So, what do you have?” Jimmy asked, looking at Athalya who was starring at Jimmy with wide eyes.

“I huh… Spanish, I think!” she said, rubbing her neck nervously, feeling all eyes on her.

“Great, I’ll walk you there! Talk to ya later guys!” he said, waving at his friends and then walked towards the school with Athalya and Johnny.

“So, Jason is in this class too. He’s an okay guy, a bit crazy sometimes… but yeah… Anyway, I’ll see you at lunch, okay?” asked Jimmy, giving Athalya her bag.

“Sure!” she said, taking her bag and smiling at Jimmy. He nodded, and then turned around, heading towards his class.

“What the hell?” she whispered, running a hand through her hair and took her usual sit at the back of the class, by the window.

The morning went by quickly, and soon she was walking out of the classroom, thinking about heading to the table where she usually sat with Johnny went she felt a hand on her shoulder and was turned around only to be met by two vibrant blue eyes.

“Where do you think you were going?” asked Jimmy, a big smile on his face.

“Hum… to have lunch with Johnny?” she asked, rubbing her neck, looking in direction of the hall.

“Oh yeah, I saw him on my way, he’s going to sit with us… Let’s go!” he said, snatching Athalya’s bag from her hand and swung it over his shoulder.

Jimmy’s strides were huge compared to hers but she managed to keep up and followed him inside the cafeteria.

“Okay, you go sit over there and I’ll be right back!” he said waving in direction of the table and handed her her bag back.

Athalya starred at Jimmy’s back for a few seconds before she started walking towards the tables, in search of any familiar faces.

“Frenchie, over here!” yelled Michelle, waving her arms in the air, with a big smile on her face.

Athalya smiled shyly and walked to the table. She decided to sit between Matty and Johnny and put her bag at her feet.

“So Athalya, how was your morning?” asked Matt, his arm wrapped around Val’s shoulders, her head resting on his shoulder.

“Huh… it was okay I guess…” she said, not daring to look up and actually look at him.

“Make some space Baker boy!” boomed Jimmy as he set a tray full of food in front of Athalya and pushed Matty out of the way so Jimmy could sit at Athalya’s left.

“Oh thank you Jimmy!” yelled Zacky and Justin, taking fries from one of the plate.

“Back off!” he said, glaring at his two friends, “these are for Athalya.” He said and put the tray closer to Athalya. “Eat.”

She starred at the tray with wide eyes. Fries, pizza, yoghurts, apples, crisps, sodas…

“Am I supposed to eat everything?” she asked in a weak voice, suddenly blaming herself for ever forgetting to grab an apple on her way out this morning.

“Yes, you need to eat. You barely ate anything this morning.” Whispered Jimmy, taking some fries.

“I… I appreciate the gesture, but it’s too much!” she mumbled nervously. “Hum… you can have the fries…” she said, taking the plate off the tray and placing it in between Zacky and Justin, not looking at them. “And hum… you can take the crisps.” She said to Matty and Val and Matt. “And you can have some pizzas…” she said, pushing the plate so Johnny and Jimmy could have take a slice.

Everyone started eating and chatting, finally forgetting the awkward moment that took place only a moment ago.

Only Jimmy kept his attention focused on Athalya.

“You know, you need to eat more than just an apple for lunch.” He whispered in her ear, pretending to try and take some fries from Zacky & Justin’s plate. Thanks God for the round table…

“I… Why do you care!” she mumbled, shyly taking a bit from her slice of pizza.

“Because someone needs to take care of you since you don’t do it yourself Athalya. You have a tendency of self-destruction… I can understand you’re having a hard time dealing with the loss, but not eating will only make things worse.” He whispered again, squeezing her knee and then sat back normally, shaking off the odd look he was receiving from his friends.

Her breath got stuck in her throat and she had a hard time swallowing her pizza. She tucked some hair behind her ear and tried to eat her pizza, while listening to Johnny trying to talk to Justin and Zacky. They both didn’t seem to care. Athalya frowned as Johnny let out a quiet sigh and let his shoulders fall. It was clear that he was trying to make himself part of the group but they only seemed to reject him. But yet, they wanted her to be a part of their little group. It didn’t make any sense to her.

They were ready to accept her, but not Johnny because he wasn’t a senior.

“You know, when someone tries to talk to you, the least you could do, would be to listen to what he has to say.” She spoke up, her eyes glued on her hands that were resting on her lap.

They all fell silent and she could feel all their eyes on her.

“What do you mean?” asked Matt, looking at the shy girl, her hair falling around her, blocking her face.

She ran a hand through her hair and looked up.

“You know, I don’t understand. I just arrived and yet everyone wants to talk to me or even be my friend when I don’t especially want to, but when someone else wants to talk to you, you all act as if he doesn’t exist.” She said. “I don’t want to be your friend, but Johnny wants to and you keep on ignoring him. The only ones who actually acknowledge his presence are Matt and Jimmy and even Matty is ignoring him now because he feels superior since he’s sitting at a senior table, with his older brother.”

“I don’t understand you. I really don’t and I found your behavior stupid. Now what I just said probably didn’t made sense to any of you but I don’t care.” She said, her voice still barely audible.

“Michelle, Val, Johnny, Jimmy… thanks for making me feel welcome in your group.” She said, reaching under the table to grab her bag and stood up.

“Is that all you can do? Speak and then leave… You French are useless…” said Zacky, shaking his head, laughing slightly.

Athalya stopped in her tracks and turned around.
“I’m not going to sit here and watch my friend being rejected by a bunch of idiots. I’m not some animal locked up behind cage. You won’t become my friend just because you throw me peanuts through the bars.” She said slowly, turning her back to them and was about to walk away.

“Fucking psycho useless French…” muttered Justin. “Should have stayed where you were if you hate it so much here!”

In a blink of an eye, Athalya was back at the table. She slammed both hands on the table, and glared straight at Justin.

“Listen you asshole. I’m going to stay it once, not twice. I’d rather be at home than here with a bunch of idiots like you. I may be useless and psycho, but you are just a bunch of arrogant bastards. I’ve not been here for long, but I’m sure of one thing. I’d rather be anywhere else in the world than here, with you, starring at your face.”

“Then go ahead, just go back to your parents, throw a fit and beg them to come back home!” he said, getting up and starring at her.

She said nothing, just let her bag drop at her feet. Trying to stay calm and not jump at his throat.

“Mummy! Mummy!” he said in a whining voice, “they are mean to me! They don’t understand me because my accent is totally shitty and I can’t speak English to save my life…” he said, making faces which made Matty, Zacky chuckled. Matt just cracked a smile but Val elbowed him in the ribs with a furious look on her face.

“Ecoute mon gars, j’ai d’autres choses à foutre que de me prendre la tête avec ta seule gueule de connard. Va te faire foutre.” She spat, her eyes turning a darker shade of green.

“Yeah, go ahead! Speak in French! Like I care! You just arrived here, no one likes you! We just feel sorry for you.” Said Justin. “That’s why we tried to be nice to you, you’re just so lame we had to help you look like you had some friends you know…”

“Now you’re going to shut up right now!” boomed Jimmy, his blue eyes starring daggers at Justin and Zacky.

“Or what? You’re going to take her side! Come on! The first day she arrived she blew off at Zacky when he was just trying to be nice to her! She’s a fucking psycho!” said Justin.

“Whatever!” Athalya said and walked away, swinging her bag over her shoulder.

“Hey! Come back here! I wasn’t done!” he yelled. She just flipped him off and stormed out of the cafeteria.

“Fuck it, I don’t need them.” She muttered to herself, as she headed straight to the classroom for next period and sat at the back on the class, she grabbed her CD player, put the earphones in her ears and listened to ‘Kerplunk’. She wrapped her arms around her bag and rested her head on top of it, looking outside. She sighed deeply and tried to calm down, she should have hit him like she wanted to do in the first place.

She knew those guys were just bad news…

She hated herself for actually thinking something good would happen, for thinking that maybe she was going to fit in their little group, but those assholes were just narrow-minded.

The things Justin said had hurt her, she felt like she was back in secondary school with her supposed friends… Those memories made her flinch and she let out a deep sighed. No, she wouldn’t let it happen again. No way.

Students started filling the room and Athalya sat up straighter, only to realize that Matt, Val, Zacky and Justin were amongst the students. Athalya said nothing and didn’t even glance in their direction.

During the rest of the day, she tried her best to focus on the lessons, writing down every word that left the teachers’ mouth.
At the end of the end, her wrist was hurting her.

She shoved all her things in her backpack and left the classroom in a hurry, wanting nothing more than to go back to her grandparents’ house and sleep for a very long time.

She hurried down the hall, and hung her head low as she walked past the parking, hoping she’d go unnoticed until she was caught by the wrist, making her stop in her tracks.

“Where are you going?” asked Jimmy, smiling.

“Huh… home?” she replied, not even looking at him.

“I’m driving you home. Get in the car.” Said Jimmy, as she pushed her towards his car. Unfortunately, the others were here as well.

“What the fuck…” muttered Justin.

“Got a problem?” asked Jimmy, as he opened the passenger door for Athalya.

“Yeah… but it doesn’t matter…” he said, keeping his gaze on Athalya as she buckled her seatbelt and ran a hand nervously through her hair.

“She’s a psycho…” said Zacky, chuckling before he got in Matt’s car.

“Don’t even listen to those two idiots…” muttered Jimmy, getting in his car and slamming the door. Johnny was sitting quietly on the backseat, he only looked up when the engine started to move.

“I’m sorry for what happened at lunch Athalya.” He said softly.

Athalya turned a bit so she could see him and smiled.
“You have nothing to apologize for Johnny, it’s my fault. I have kind of a short temper and it got worse when I’m around those two stupid assholes.” She said, shaking her head. She sat back normally and focused on the scenery when her eyes widened and she turned around immediately.

“Did I embarrass you?” she asked in a hurry, “Like, was it too much from me? I should probably have let it go…” she whispered “you could have handled it yourself… I’m so sorry!” she apologized.

“Hey, calm down!” said Jimmy chuckling as he tried to make her sit back normally. “I’m pretty sure you didn’t embarrass him, did she kiddo?” asked Jimmy.

“Nope, it was pretty cool actually! Especially when you yelled at him in French. It was… scary or something…” trailed off Johnny.

“…Like you were muttering some dark words that would make him burn alive or whatnot…”added Jimmy as he turned around the corner.

“Well, thanks?” she said with a small smile, “but still… Michelle and Val probably hate me now…”

“Ah no, believe me!” said Jimmy, laughing loudly. “The twins pretty much love you now, you may be shy sometimes, but you sure know when to stand up for yourself. I appreciate that in a girl, it’s not very common, especially coming from a small French girl…” said Jimmy, quickly glancing at Athalya before focusing back on the road.

“I am not small Jimmy, you’re just a tall freak.” She said, smiling at him.

“Pssh! whatever you say Shorty!” he said, waving his hand dismissively.

“I am not short Jimmy!” she argued.

“Yeah, I am short, she’s taller than me.” Said Johnny, trying to help Athalya win the small argument.

“Yeah, but that’s not difficult, is it?” asked Jimmy, glancing at Johnny in the rearview mirror.

“Well… I guess not.” Said Johnny, shrugging.

“Don’t mind him Johnny, Jimmy is a lost cause!” said Athalya, rolling her eyes as Jimmy was making silly faces to the car that was stopped next to theirs at a red light.

“You’re going to get arrested one day!” said Athalya, nudging Jimmy so he would start driving again.

“Already done!” he said, smiling proudly. Athalya just frowned and decided not to answer.

“Here’s your stop Johnny boy!” said Jimmy, stopping the car. “I’ll come and pick you up tomorrow morning, okay?” asked Jimmy, turning on his sit to look at Johnny whose face was ecstatic.

“Sure thing, thanks Jimmy!” said Johnny, slamming his palm against Jimmy’s and exiting the car, making sure to wave at Athalya as Jimmy drove off and he waited until the car had disappeared around the corner to actually get inside his house.

“That was nice of you to offer to pick him up tomorrow.” Randomly commented Athalya.

“What can I say? I’m nice like that!” he said, smugly. She chuckled and nodded.

“Yeap, you are nice guy Jimmy.” She said. “So, where are we going now?” she asked.

“To my best friend’s house, I need to ask him if he wants to come to the park later on.” Explained Jimmy as he slowed down the car.

“Oh okay…” whispered Athalya as Jimmy killed the engine, and started to get out of the car.

“Aren’t you coming with me?” he asked.

Athalya opened her mouth to say something but Jimmy cut him off.

“Sorry, it wasn’t mean to be a question. You’re coming with me.” He said and got out of the car. Athalya slowly got out and followed Jimmy up to the front door. She tried to hide behind him but Jimmy caught on what she wanted to do and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, making sure she’d stay by his side.

The door opened and a young girl opened the door.
“JIMMY!” she squealed, and ran to him, hugging his legs. He chuckled and picked her up with one arm, keeping his other arm around Athalya.

“Mummy! Daddy! Jimmy’s here!” she called.

“Jimmy! Nice to see you son!” said a man as Jimmy let the young girl go and shook the man hand, still not letting go of Athalya.

“Aww Jimmy! I’m glad you came!” said a woman, she took a step forward and opened her arms. Jimmy reluctantly let go of Athalya, not before giving her a warning glance and hugged the woman.

“And who’s the pretty lady?” asked the man, smiling at Athalya who just blushed and smiled shyly in return.

“That’s my new best friend, Athalya. She just arrived so she’s kinda new.” He said, making the couple chuckle lightly.

“I’m Suzy Haner, Brian’s stepmother. But you can call me Suzy.” Said the woman, holding her hand to shake Athalya’s. Athalya shook it.

“And I’m Brian, Brian’s father.” Said the man, holding out his hand as well. Athalya gave him a quizzical look before looking back at Jimmy.

“Oh yeah… Sorry. That’s Brian’s father, whose name happen to be Brian too. But we just call him Papa Gates to make the difference.” Explained Jimmy, wrapping his arm around Athalya once again.

“Papa Gates?” she asked, unsure.

“Yeah, Brian once came up with a random nickname… He was dr… He wasn’t himself and he started shouting: ‘I’m Synyster fucking Gates, and I’m awesome.’ So yeah, that’s Papa Gates.” Explained Jimmy. Athalya rubbed her neck nervously.

“Okay…” she whispered, feeling nervous about meeting Jimmy’s best friend now. She was afraid he was going to be just like Justin and Zacky.

“Yo Gates! Get you as… get down here already!” shouted Jimmy.

“And that’s our little girl, McKenna.” Explained Papa Gates as the young girl from earlier came back and tugged at Athalya’s sleeve.

“Are you Jimmy girlfwiend?” she asked in a small voice. Athalya’s eyes widened a little.

“Huh… no. He’s just a friend.” She explained. McKenna let out a sigh of relief and ran back in the living room.

“What’s up Gates?” asked Jimmy, letting go of Athalya and taking a step forward to do the man hug thing with a guy that was a bit shorter than Jimmy, with dark hair and brown eyes.

“Brian, Athalya. Athalya, my best friend Brian Junior.” Introduced Jimmy solemnly. It was important for him that his two best friends got on well with each others. And yes, he did consider Athalya as his best friend even though he had met her just a few days ago, but he had a feeling they were going to be great friends in the near future.

“Nice to meet you!” said Brian, smiling at the new girl and holding out his hand. Athalya smiled, and shook his hand.

“Okay Brian, well I need to drop Athalya off. We are all going to meet up at the park, are you in?” asked Jimmy.

“Sure thing man, I’ll meet you there?” asked Brian, nodding.

“Yeap! See ya in a minute Brian. Bye Suzy, bye Papa Gates!” said Jimmy waving at them. “Bye McKenna!” he said, louder so she would hear him.

“Bye Jimmy!” she yelled. “Bye Athalya!” she said, appearing at the door and waving at them. Athalya waved back, with a small smile and followed Jimmy outside of the house.

She got back in the car and buckled her seatbelt without a word.

“Are you alright?” asked Jimmy, worriedly.

She nodded. He frowned and started up the engine. He kept glancing at her every now and then.

“Okay, tell me what’s wrong.” He said, stopping the car in front of Athalya’s home and turned to look at her. She said nothing.

“Okay, I got it! It’s because of what Justin and Zacky said? About your accent and everything?” he asked, making Athalya blushed. “I knew it!” he muttered, slamming his hand on the steering wheel. “You don’t listen to them, okay? Your accent is nice, you speak English very well and you don’t let them get to you. They’re just assholes. Okay?” he asked her.

“Jimmy, you can’t talk about them like that. They’re your friends.” She said softly.

“And you’re my friend too!” he said. Athalya just looked away. “Listen Athalya, whether you like it or not, I consider you as my friend and I’m going to stood up for you no matter what. You offered me to stay at your house when we barely knew each others. Neither Justin or Zacky ever offered me to sleep on their couch because my parents kicked me out of their house for the night, and I’ve been friends with them for years.”

“Well, it doesn’t mean I’m better than them.” She said.

“Maybe, but it doesn’t give them the right to talk to you the way they did. I’m gonna kick their asses next time.” He said, getting out of the car.

“No one is going to fight for me okay? I’m a big girl and I can kick their asses if needed. Do not judge me.” She said, getting out of the car.

“But…”

“I appreciate it Jimmy, really, I do. But I can take care of myself.” She said, not even glancing at him as she walked in the house.

“Jimmy! Let’s take a look at your car!” said Athalya’s grandfather, as soon as Jimmy stepped a foot in the hall.

Athalya didn’t even glance at Jimmy, she headed straight to the kitchen.

She sat on the counter, a can of coke in her hands, and a thoughtful look on her face. She was looking down at her feet, already feeling bad for yelling at Jimmy, but it was just the way she was, she never liked it when a boy was taking too much interest in her, she couldn’t help but felt threaten. Which was stupid when you think about it, he clearly said he wanted to protect her, but she couldn’t help it. She had trouble trusting person of the opposite sex, even someone as nice as Jimmy.

Sighing deeply, she jumped off the counter, threw her empty can in the bin, and grabbed two cans from the fridge.

“Yo Jimmy!” she called as she walked out of the house. He turned around and caught the can just in time.

“Thanks!” he said, smiling. She just nodded in answer and walked closer to the car.

“So, what’s wrong with it?” she asked, standing next to Jimmy.

“I still have yet to figure it out. It can take hours, don’t you have anything else to do?” asked Athalya’s grandfather, watching Jimmy and Athalya as they stood side by side.

“I was supposed to go to the park and meet up with some of my friends.” Explained Jimmy, rubbing his neck. “But it’s not far from here, I’ll walk there.” He added.

“And I got homework…” said Athalya after she had taken a sip from her can.

“Oh come on Athalya, you can go with Jimmy for a little while, can’t you? By the way Jimmy, Suzan asked me to ask you if you wanted to stay for dinner…” asked Athalya’s grandfather, wiping his hands on his jeans.

“I’d love to!” replied Jimmy with a smile.

“Cool, I’ll let her know then. Go kids, have fun!” he said, waving them off. Athalya muttered a few cursed words as Jimmy grabbed her by the wrist and started dragging her down the sidewalk.

“Come on Athalya, it’s going to be fun! Have you ever played baseball?” Jimmy asked, wrapping his arm around Athalya’s shoulder, while sipping his coke.

“I think I did, but I don’t think it was baseball…” she said, frowning while drinking her coke.

“I’ll teach you, it’s easy. You just take the bat and try to hit the ball.” He explained. She nodded, looking down at her feet.

She threw her empty can in the trash can at the park entrance and slowly followed Jimmy. She wondered if she’d be able to put up with Justin and Zacky. She shook her head ad followed Jimmy further into the park, she passed the playground where kids were playing with each other’s while their mothers were watching after them. Athalya felt her heart tightening in her chest and sighed quietly. She’d never see her mother ever again.

“Hey guys!” shouted Jimmy, waving at the group of people that were sitting by an oak tree. They all turned to waved at Jimmy, but some smiles faded as they spot Athalya walking next to him.

“Athalya!” screamed Michelle as she jumped off her feet, ran to her, hugged the poor girl and then grabbed her wrist, leading to her to the side of the circle, she sat down and pulled Athalya down with her, all the while smiling brightly.

“I’m so glad you came! I was afraid I was never going to see you ever again with the way those 2 assholes behave.” Said Michelle, shooting a glare in their direction before she turned to face Athalya once again. “Have you met everyone yet?” she asked. And that’s when Athalya realized that it was more than the usual group…

She shook her head.

“Well, that’s Matt and Jason Berry.” She started, pointing to 2 guys Athalya hadn’t seen before.

“I think I’m in Spanish with one of them… Jason I think…” said Athalya softly.
Michelle smiled.

“And that’s Cam.” She said, pointing to another guy. “And that’s Jimmy’s best friend, Brian.” Added Michelle.

“Yeah, I met him like thirty minutes ago.” Said Athalya with a nod.

“So, what are we going to do now?” asked Brian, looking at Athalya as she was looking at her feet.

“No idea, but I feel like playing baseball!” said Matt, he kissed Val and then stood up, making his back crack in the process. “Who’s with me?” he asked.

“I am!” said Jimmy, jumping on his feet. Jason, Matt, Cam, Michelle and Val also stood up.

“Aren’t you coming Athalya?” asked Val. She shook her head.

They left and Athalya moved so her back was resting against the tree. She couldn’t help but wonder what the fuck she was doing here… It made no sense to her whatsoever. She bit her lip, brought her knees up to her chest and hugged them, resting her head on top of them, starring off into space.

“So, who’s she exactly?” asked Brian as he was now sitting in front of Justin and Zacky, he was looking at Athalya curiously.

“No fucking idea! She’s the weirdest girl I’ve ever seen!” said Zacky, shaking his head.

“Her name’s Athalya.” Said Justin, making a face. “The name itself is weird enough… Her parents must have been drunk or high when they named her.” He snickered.

“Guys, that’s not really nice…” mumbled Brian, quickly glancing at Athalya to see if she had heard them.

“Who cares! It’s the truth…” said Zacky, “she’s fucking weird… One second she’s smiling and talking with that weird accent of hers, and then she’s spacing out, looking as if the world has come to an end. Like right now, she looks ready to jump off a bridge…” he said, trailing off as the three of them looked at Athalya.

“Maybe I should give her a little help and push her?” asked Justin, which makes him laughed, as well as Zacky and Brian just gave a weak smile.

There was something he couldn’t understand. Why was Jimmy caring about that girl if she was so useless and stupid? It wasn’t like Jimmy to care about someone if that person wasn’t a good person.

“What happened that make you hate her so damn much? She just arrived!” asked Brian, leaning back on the grass, holding himself up on his elbows.

“She blew off at Zacky when he tried to become her friend…!” She’s a psycho, I’m telling you.” Said Justin. “She should just go back to her rotten country and die choking on a snail or whatever… And maybe she’ll shave her legs and armpits in the process… I heard that French girls and hygiene doesn’t come together!” he said and they all burst out laughing at the lame joke.

Athalya was rocking herself from side to side, trying to prevent herself from crying. How could someone she barely met be so mean! Just because she stood up for herself and didn’t wanted a repeat of the last time someone decided to be her friend without knowing her, they decided to talk shit about her when she was not even ten feet away from them. She could hear them very well, and it hurt her. She realized that no matter where she was, she was going to be the girl who everyone makes fun of. She doesn’t needed that…

She was looking for Jimmy, and saw him with a baseball bat in his hand, ready to hit the ball Val was about to throw. She wishes she could be like him… She wished she knew how not to care…

“Her parents must be really stupid, or maybe when she was little they dropped her from the top of the stairs, that’d explain her brain damage…” laughed Justin.

“Oh god, dude! Stop that! I’m going to piss myself!” said Zacky, laughing hysterically, holding his sides.

“I mean come on, if she looks like her mother, just try to picture yourself how her mother actually looks! I bet she has to go outside with a paper bag on her head… And I bet that’s the only way that cow got pregnant! Maybe she was raped…” said Justin, a proud smirked on his face as he kept on talking trash about Athalya’s mother.

Athalya had her fists clenched, her breathing was labored, and she kept her eyes on Jimmy’s bat as he slowly raised it above his shoulder, ready to hit the ball.

“Maybe her mother should have abandoned her in a trashcan the day she was born…”

Val took a step back and threw the ball.

“Her mother’s a cunt, that’s the only explanation.”

Jimmy hit the ball the same time Athalya launched herself at Justin. It had happened so fast that no one could have expected it. She was now sitting on Justin’s back. She kept his arms held behind his back with one hand and with the other, she kept his face on the ground.

“Listen you son of a bitch.” She spat, unaware that everyone had stop playing and where now rushing to the scene.

“You do not talk like that about my mother!” she yelled, pushing his face in the grass. “You may not respect me but you don’t talk shit about her! I do shave my legs and armpits, thank you very much! And I’m pretty sure I’m more hygienic that your small diseased dick!” she yelled, pressing his face even harder onto the ground.

“Athalya!” yelled Jimmy.

“Shut up and stand back!” she snapped, turning around and glaring at him before she focused back on Justin.

“I should kill you! I should KILL YOU!” she yelled, gripping his hair. “Ever since I came here, you’ve been nothing but a bastard towards me, I didn’t do anything to you! I might be French but I speak English about a million times that you’ll ever speak French you fucking bloody bastard!” she yelled, griping his hair so his face was lifted up the ground before she slammed his head against the grass.

“How could you dare talking about my mother like that!” she yelled even louder than before, tears streaming down her face. She got off him and kicked him so he turned around. His face was pale, mixed up with some dirt on his face and hair. He was too shocked to say anything back, he never expected Athalya to actually hear him…

“I would give my soul to be back in my country, where people respect each others! Land of freedom? My ass! Land of bastards, yeah! You hate me? Fair enough! Because I despise you!” she yelled, taking a step closer to him.

“I’m tired of everyone here treating me like I’m some psycho when all I’m doing is trying to deal with moving on the other side of the planet, in a country when no one understands me!” she said, her voice lowering a little.

“You can talk shit about me as much as you want, but please, at least, let my mother rests in peace… She deserves it at least…” she whispered, her voice breaking. She furiously wiped her tears and turned around, running past the group of person she thought could be her friends. She pushed Jimmy out of her way and ran out of the park at full speed.

“What the fuck just happened? She’s insane!” yelled Justin, finally coming back to his sense and trying to get up.

“You stay right here!” yelled Jimmy, as he looked away from where Athalya had ran off and back at the boy sitting on the ground. In two strikes he was at Justin’s sides. He grabbed him by his T-shirt and slammed him against the tree.

“I should finish what she started!” he boomed. “You’re just lucky she didn’t destroy your fucking face like you deserve!” he yelled before letting go of him when he started to become a light shade of blue.

“Jimmy, calm down!” pleaded Val.

“No, I won’t fucking calm down!” he said, turning to look at his friend before he focused back on Justin who was coughing.

“How could you talk about her mother the way you did! She’s dead for fuck sake!” he yelled, catching everyone off guard. “Her mother’s fucking dead! That’s why she came to live here! Like it wasn’t hard enough for her, she has to deal with fucking bastards of your kind!” he added before he turned to look at Zacky.

“And you! I expected so much more from you dude… She should have destroyed both your fucking faces! I have no idea what were your exact words, and I think I’d rather not know because I don’t think I’ll hold back next time!” he spat, glaring daggers at Zacky.

“And Brian!” he yelled, turning around, hoping to see his supposed best friend, only to realize that he was missing.”Where the fuck is he?” asked Jimmy.

“He ran after Athalya…” said Michelle. Jimmy took a step forward, ready to run after them but Justin spoke.

“He didn’t insulted Athalya or her mother! Actually, he didn’t even laughed at our jokes.” He explained.

“Jokes? Jokes!!?? You’ve got to be fucking kidding!” yelled Jimmy, griping his hair with both hands, making him look even weirder than he already was.

“I should be lucky if she ever agrees on seeing my face ever again! I should have stayed with her and not leave with you morons sitting not ten feet away from her. God, I hate myself for having such stupid friends!” he mumbled, rubbing his face.

The group fell silent. Zacky and Justin were looking down at their feet, while Matt, Val, Michelle and the rest of the group were watching Jimmy as he was trying to calm down. It was clear to all of them that Athalya meant much more to Jimmy than just a new girl that was trying to fit in their group. He actually cared about her. What she did to make him care, they had no idea…

“I’m sorry Jimmy… I… had no idea! I wouldn’t have made of her if I had known…” said Justin, looking up at his friend.

“Of course you wouldn’t! It’s not something she will brag about! Would you go around saying, ‘my mother’s dead, I don’t know my father and I live with my grandparents in a foreign country!’ ? No you wouldn’t!” he muttered, rubbing his temple. “I should just… like… hit you really bad or something…” he muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose. “I need to see her.” He muttered and then ran off, leaving the rest of his friends with stunned expression.

“Damn, I never saw Jimmy so mad…” whispered Val, hugging Matt and nuzzling her face in his T-shirt. “I hope Athalya’s alright… Poor girl…”

“You guys are just…” muttered Michelle, glaring at them. “Assholes!” she snapped before turning around. “I’m going back home Val, see ya later.” She said to her twin sister and left the group.

**

“Brian, where is she?” yelled Jimmy as he spot his best friend sitting on the beach. Jimmy had ran all the way to Athalya’s house and had lied, telling her grandparents that she was still at the park, and that he had just came to pick up his car and that he was going back there. Her grandparents believed him without any hesitation and thanked him again for taking of Athalya. As he heard those words, Jimmy wanted to scream that he was useless but he kept his mouth shut and drove to the beach, in search of Athalya and Brian.

“She’s right here!” said Brian, waving at Jimmy. Jimmy jumped over the fence and ran towards Brian, only to see Athalya curled up in a ball next to Brian, her eyes tight shut, and he knew that she had fallen asleep.

“I ran after her all the way from the park to here, she just dropped down on her knees and cried until she fell asleep here.” Explained Brian, looking from Athalya to his friend.

“Thanks for following her bro…” whispered Jimmy, as he wrapped his arms around Athalya’s shoulders and legs and lift her up, carrying her towards the parking lot. Brian brushed the sand off his jeans and followed Jimmy.

“It’s nothing Jimmy really, I should have stopped Justin and Zacky from talking trash about her… I’m sorry Jim. I really am.” Said Brian as he opened the door for Jimmy.

“It’s okay Brian, you didn’t know.” Whispered Jimmy as he set Athalya on the backseat and buckled her seatbelt. Then he closed the door softly and walked to the driver seat and Brian got on the passenger seat.

“Did you beat their asses?” asked Brian, Jimmy cracked a smile.

“I almost chocked Justin, but you know how I am… I can’t control myself when I’m angry, pretty much like Matt…” trailed off Jimmy, casting a glance at Athalya.

“I hope she’ll be alright, she seemed pretty shaken up when I caught up with her, she kept sobbing and mumbling incoherent words about her mother, something to do with grave and France…” explained Brian, frowning a little.

“Her mother’s dead, that’s why she moved here. She lives with her grandparents.” Explained Jimmy.

“Oh god, poor girl…” murmured Brian.

“Yeah…” agreed Jimmy, turning on Athalya’s street.

“I have to admit, she has some guts… I mean, she literally jumps on Justin and shoved his face in the dirt… I thought she was going to kill him at one moment.” Said Brian as Jimmy parked the car.

“She’s quite impulsive I’d say…” replied Jimmy, getting out of the car. Brian helped Jimmy get Athalya out of the car . She stirred and let out a quite sigh, grabbing Brian’s shirt and keeping a firm hold on it as Jimmy was holding her in his arms.

“Okay…” whispered Brian, trying to unclasped Athalya’s fingers from his T-shirt.

“Do you think you can carry her?” asked Jimmy, looking at Brian. He nodded and opened his arms. He carried Athalya as Jimmy locked the car and then he followed him up to the front door.

“Suzan? David? We’re back!” called Jimmy as he kept the door opened for Brian.

“Jimmy? Is that you?” asked Suzan, appearing at the kitchen entrance.

“Suzan, this is my best friend Brian, Athalya fell asleep in the car.” Explained Jimmy.

“Oh yeah, I bet she would. She always fell asleep in the car, she fell asleep when we drove her from LAX to HB.” Explained Suzan, “I’m Suzan, Athalya’s grandmother. Nice to meet you Brian.” She said with a warm smile. Brian smiled back.

“Come on, let’s lay her down on the couch.” She said, going to the living room. Brian laid Athalya on the couch and then followed Jimmy and Suzan back in the kitchen.

“David is in the garage…” explained Suzan. “Do you want to stay for dinner Brian?” she asked, looking at him. Brian looked at Jimmy for approbation. Jimmy smiled at Suzan.

“Sure, thank you Ma’am.” Replied Brian.

“Oh none of that, call me Suzan.” She said, as she handed him the phone, smiling. “You should call your parents to let them know you’re staying here.” She explained and then walked towards a door that seems to be leading to the garage.

Brian quickly dialed the number to his house and waited for someone to pick up as Jimmy went in the hall, looking in the living room to see if Athalya was still asleep or not.

She was lying on her back, looking at the ceiling, her arms crossed over her chest, her chest raising and falling with every breath she took.

“How are you feeling?” asked Jimmy as he sat on the edge of the coffee table and looked at Athalya as she slowly turned her head to look at him.

“Okay I guess… Thanks for bringing me back home.” She said, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

“It’s okay…” he whispered, “Listen Athalya, I really am sorry about what hap…” started Jimmy but Athalya cut him off.

“Don’t bring it up again Jimmy, I told them what I had to say. That’s it.” She said, waving her hand dismissively.

“You’re not mad at me?” he asked. She frowned.

“Why would I be? It’s not your fault if your friends are some narrow-minded assholes.” She said, getting up. “Now, I’m hungry.” She said, heading towards the kitchen, Jimmy followed her.

“Oh…” she said, stopping dead in tracks when she saw Brian putting the phone back in its place.

“Hey…” he said, smiling warmly. “How are you?”

“Huh… I’m fine, thanks.” She replied, rubbing her neck nervously. “Oh, hi Mamie!” said Athalya, her face breaking into a smile as her grandmother came back from the garage.

“Athalya, did you sleep well sweetie?” she asked, putting a box on the counter.

“Yeah… huh, so… what’s for dinner?” she asked, glancing nervously at Brian.

“How about pasta? Oh, and Brian’s staying for dinner too.” Said Suzan. Athalya’s face got a little paler but she nodded.

“Cool…” she whispered quietly.

“Hum, what do you guys want to do until dinner’s ready?” she asked, chewing on her bottom lip.

“Whatever you want to Athalya.” Said Brian, shoving his hands in his pockets. She blushed and rubbed her forehead nervously.

“Huh… let’s see what’s on TV…” she suggested and walked to the living room. She sat on the couch, and Jimmy sat between Brian and Athalya, he grabbed the remote and started flickering through the channels.

**

“Athalya! Brian and Jimmy are here!” called Suzan from downstairs. Athalya bit her lip, sighed and slowly walked out of her room, with her messenger bag and her hoodie.

“Remember to come home straight after school is done, okay?” asked her grandmother, hugging Athalya goodbye.

“Don’t worry Mamie, I will.” She said nodding, before she went to hug her grandfather and then put her shoes on.

“Bye Mamie, bye Papy. See you after school!” she said as she closed the door behind her and hurried to the beaten up car that was parked in front of her house.
For the past two days, since the incident at the park, Brian and Jimmy had picked her up in Jimmy’s car every morning and were driving her back every afternoon.

“S’up Athalya? How are you today?” asked Brian as Athalya got in the backseat.

“I’m fine, thanks. And you two?” she asked, buckling her seatbelt and smiling at them.

“Good…” they both said at the same time, before chuckling and Jimmy started the engine once again.

“Tell me again Brian, why aren’t you at HB high?” asked Athalya.

“Because? I have no idea Athalya, my father thought it would be best for me to be on the other side of town…” he replied.

“Then why aren’t you taking your own car?” she asked again.

“Because I like being in the same car as you and Jimmy before going to school. And by the way, you’ll see me again at lunch time.” He said, smiling. She rolled her eyes but smiled.

“Great…” she said sarcastically.

“You know, deep down, you love me!” he said winking before turning back and turned on the radio.

“Athalya, you know it’s Friday today, right?” asked Jimmy. Athalya’s smile faded.

“Yeah…” she whispered, looking out of the window.

“So, I take it you won’t be able to make it to Matt’s house tonight?” asked Brian.

“Nah, she has other plans.” Replied Jimmy as he stopped in front of Brian’s high school.

“I’ll see ya at lunch bitches!” he said, getting out of the car and waved at them. Jimmy made a U turn and then headed towards their own high school.

“Tell me Jimmy, why does Brian always come to have lunch with us and is always in your car?” Athalya asked.

“What do you mean?” asked Jimmy, pretending not to have understood her.

“Like, I’ve never seen him before and then, all of a sudden, he’s always with us when Justin or Zacky are…” she trailed off, frowning. “Is it because of what happened at the park?” she asked.

“Maybe…” replied Jimmy, vaguely.

“Jimmy…” she said in a warning tone. “I haven’t seen any of them since what happened! They’re avoiding me like the plague! Nothing’s going to happen, you don’t need to ask Brian to look after me too! You, Johnny, Matt and everyone else is enough!” she whined.

“It’s for your own good Athalya, we don’t want a repeat of last time.” Said Jimmy.

“But they’re not that stupid! And I know how to behave! I won’t beat the shit out of them if they sit with us at lunch you know! It’s stupid to keep them apart… they are your friends too! You can’t just ignore them because they were assholes!” said Athalya as Jimmy parked the car.

“I don’t want them to hurt you ever again.” He said, stopping in his tracks and looking at Athalya. His blue eyes staring into her bright green ones.

“Jimmy, you know damn well I can kick their asses if needed. Justin tried to talk to me the other day, but Cam happened to be here and he nearly kicked his ass… How are we supposed to make peace if they can’t even approach me?” she asked, tilting her head to the side.

“But I thought you never wanted to see their faces ever again…”

“Yeah, but that was in the heat of the moment, or whatever you call it. I’m not that stupid, if they are willing to apologize, then I’m willing to forgive them.” She explained, picking up her bag from the backseat and making her way towards the school.

“You know, it’s annoying…” said Jimmy, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

“What?” Athalya asked.

“The fact that you’re right almost all the time.” Mumbled jimmy, pulling her close and kissing the top of her head as they reached their group of friends, minus Zacky and Justin who had yet to arrive.

“Frenchie!” and Athalya was engulfed in a hug by Michelle and Val. She chuckled and hugged the twins.

“We’ll see you at lunch, right?” asked Matt, wrapping his arm around Val.

“Sure thing, see ya!” waved Athalya, leaving Jimmy with them and heading to her locker where she’d meet up with Johnny.

**

“You know, I really hoped I’d get to see Zacky or Justin today…” said Athalya as she got in Jimmy’s car. “I wanted to ask them to eat lunch with us and stuff… but I didn’t see them.” She explained.

“Well, it’s okay don’t worry Athalya, you might see them on Monday or something…” said Jimmy, starting off the car.

“Yeah,… I feel bad though… It’s my fault if they’re not hanging with you anymore…” she mumbled.

“Stop that Athalya, they asked for it. No one is allowed to treat you the way they did. They asked for it, they got it.” He said, starring at the road. Athalya sighed.

The drive was silent and too soon for her liking, they were in front of Athalya’s house.

“Where’s Brian?” she asked, panicked.

“Matt’s picking him up. Now go Athalya, maybe he’s here already…” Jimmy said. Athalya bit her lip, knowing damn well who Jimmy was referring to.

“Let’s go…” she whispered, opening the door. “Thank you for the ride Jimmy. I’ll see you on Monday?” she asked.

“Sure thing Frenchie, I’ll pick you up. Good luck!” he said as she exited the car.

“Thanks Jimmy. Bye, drive safe.” She whispered. He shot her a grin,

“I always do!” he said as she closed the door. He blew her a kiss and drove off, leaving her on the sidewalk.

She took a deep breath, shifting her bag over her shoulder and walked up to the front door. She opened it, kicked off her shoes and stopped in the hall when she realized that her grandparents weren’t alone and that her mother’s friend had already arrived.

“I’ll be right back!” she said when her grandmother waved at her.

Athalya ran to her room, dropped her backpack, took off her hoodie and checked her reflexion in the mirror. She ran a hand through her hair, made sure her eyeliner was still a little smudge under her eyes, but not too much and then straightened her ‘Dookie’ T-shirt. She bit her lip, took a deep breath and ran down the stairs.

They were here. She stopped in the hallway and checked her reflection once again in the mirror before she entered the living room. The visitors had their back turned to us since they were seated on the other couch while her grandparents were facing them. She slowly walked to stand behind the couch her grandparents were sitting on. She kissed both their cheeks before she looked up, feeling her heart pounding in her chest. Her eyes landed on the woman. She was pretty, that was the first thing that caught her eyes. Her hair was tied up, leaving small stray of hair hanging on her shoulders. She smiled at Athalya and Athalya smiled back as the woman grabbed the man’s hand. Then, Athalya’s eyes drifted to their entwined hands and she notices the tattoos on the man’s arm. She looked up and focused on his face. The first thing she noticed was his black hair. Then, she paid a closer attention to his face and stopped at his eyes. Green eyes were starring right back at her. She knew those eyes for she had seen them many times on the photos… Her heart missed a beat. He couldn’t be…

She kept watching him and the corner of his mouth turned upwards. She stopped focusing on his eyes to focus on his whole face and her eyes watered.

“Oh my God…” was all she could say. She looked away from his face to look at her T-shirt and blushed.

“Sweetie, this is Adrienne.”

Her grandmother’s voice brought her back to earth. Athalya raised a shaky hand and waved at the woman sitting next to him. Adrienne smiled warmly and waved back.

“And her husband, B…” started Suzan but Athalya cut her off.

“Billie Joe Armstrong.” She finished for her grandmother, her eyes glued on him as he smiled warmly at her, making her heart flutter in her chest, and her cheeks become a light shade of red.

“Nice to see you again Athalya.” He said. Her face broke into a small, shy smile while she just wanted to scream and threw herself in his arms.

She had to be dreaming…

“So, Billie Joe and his wife made the displacement here because they were good friends with your mother, especially Billie, who went to school with your mother.” Explained David, looking at his granddaughter. Athalya’s eyes widened and her mouth opened, she wanted to say something, but no sound came out.

“Oh my God…” was all she could say, before she ran out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry the chapter is so long (22 pages on Word), but I had a lot of things to put in that chapter :)
I hope you liked it...
and THANK YOU all for reading and commenting this story, it means a lot!
Keep the comments coming ;)