Still so Young - Desperate for Attention

Chapter Eleven.

“I thought you knew where you were going.” Ryan spoke, tossing his empty cup and spoon out the window.

“Hey, hey, hey!” Brendon spoke, and Ryan turned towards him concerned, “Give a shit, don’t polute!”

Ryan squinted at him and waited for Brendon to correct the saying. When he didn’t Ryan moved on, “Just turn around and go back the way you came.”

“Alright,” Brendon nodded, pulling off the road before turning around, “You do remember which way we came, right?” Brendon looked at him seriously.

“You don’t?!” Ryan spoke wide eyed, and he almost wanted to laugh, almost.

“I mean, kind of. I’ll just retrace our steps.” Brendon started driving, and he turned right onto a different road they had passed earlier.

“You just went the wrong way.” Ryan spoke.

“No, this is the way we came.” Brendon shook his head.

“No, we have been going straight for about ten minutes.”

“Well, this wasn’t a turn as much as a natural curve-”

“We are going the wrong way.” Ryan snapped, sitting up straighter and giving Brendon an annoyed look.

“Would you be happier if I turned and you told me which way to go.”

“Seeing how you got us here, yes, I would.” Ryan nodded, pulling his feet up into his chair and hooking his chin over his knees breathing slowly.

“Fine.” Brendon sighed, turning around once again. He listened to Ryan’s directions, and they ended up on another smaller road.

“And this one leads back to the main one that we were originally on.” Ryan spoke lifting a hand and pointing as if he could see it.

“No, it doesn’t.” Brendon sighed shaking his head, “We would have had to pass Dairy Queen a while back and we didn’t.”

“It’s dark now, I’m sure we did.” Ryan shrugged it off, and they continued down the road. They passed two or three houses in a row before the road turned into a dirt one that led up to a garage.

- - -
Brendon

- - -
“Can we go my way now?” Brendon sighed, glancing at his gas meter. Hopefully his way means past a gas station.

Ryan was silent for a few minutes, “But we turned left, then went straight, then should’ve turned,” He was squinting, and Brendon wasn’t sure who he was talking to.

“If we would’ve curved the way I was originally going, then yes, you would be correct, but since you left out the first turn all the rest were wrong.” Brendon huffed, once again, turning around. Ryan was very silent as they went back to where they had originally gotten lost.

Brendon cursed all of a sudden, putting the car in park and leaning with his head against the steering wheel.

“What?” Ryan spoke cautiously.

“It’s like pitch black outside, we’ve been driving for over two hours, my gas meter is on empty, and I don’t remember which way we came from. I don’t know whether I should laugh or scream.” He didn’t lift his head from the steering wheel, waiting for Ryan to start yelling, but a few seconds later he heard laughing. He was mildly worried that Jason was going to appear outside the windows in a few seconds and cut them up into little pieces, but when he glanced over, he decided that Jason wasn’t the one laughing. Ryan had his head laid back over the seat with a hand across his stomach, and he was laughing quietly.

“What?” Brendon asked this time, and Ryan looked up at him.

“Of course this would happen,” Ryan shook his head, “Of course of all the people in the world, we would be the ones that get lost at nighttime with almost no gas in the car.”

“What?” Brendon repeated slower, “Why?”

“Because we don’t even like eachother.” Ryan explained, “I mean, if you were stuck here with Gabe, or I with Spencer, we would be having the time of our lives.”

“I thought we put our differences behind us.” Brendon spoke wide eyed, and this time they both started laughing. Maybe Ryan’s insanity was catching, maybe this was all a weird dream, Brendon’s not sure, but for some reason this situation suddenly feels hilarious.

“I don’t want to keep driving around, because I don’t want to run out of gas out here.” Brendon said finally.

- - -
Ryan
- - -

“We are the worst team in the world,” Ryan laughed some more, “How did we get so lost?”

“I don’t even know,” Brendon shook his head, turning off the car and leaning his seat back. They sat in silence for a second before Brendon spoke, “So, why’d you transfer from Bishop Gorman to Palo?”

Ryan was silent for a second, trying to figure out what possessed Brendon to ask him such a random question before answering, “My parents are divorce, my dad lives over here, and my mom lives on the other side of town. I used to stay with my dad on weekends, but he got a new job so now he works on the weekends, and I have to stay with him during the school weeks.”

“That sucks.” Brendon sighed, “Do you have any brothers or sisters?”

Ryan was seriously confused about the questions, but he decided this was part of Brendon’s plan to ‘start over’ so he answered, “No.”

“Hm.” Brendon nodded, and it was silent for a few moments before Ryan spoke up.

“Do you?” He quickly added, “I mean besides-”

“Yeah,” Brendon cut him off, “Will is 15, and then I have a sister who’s in college, her name’s Kara. She’s 28.”

“She live with you guys?” Ryan spoke, trying to keep the silence away.

“Yeah, she goes to UNLV. She didn’t go right after high school, obviously.”

Ryan nodded.

“So, you mentioned your friend, Spencer, or something.” Brendon spoke before he could think of another question.

“Yeah,” Ryan smiled, “We’re neighbors. We met when we were like toddlers or something, and then our parents became friends, and ever since we’ve been in the same school had joint birthday parties and all that.” He shrugged, “He’s pretty cool.”

“That’s cool,” Brendon nodded, “I met Gabe in a cop car.”

Ryan looked over at him quickly, and he couldn’t tell if he was kidding or not.

“You were in jail?” Ryan asked.

“I was kind of, he wasn’t.” Brendon shrugged, “His dad is a cop, when I was five Kara was babysitting me one night, and she took me out with her to meet her friends. They ended up setting an old building on fire, and the cop car they took us to the police station in was Gabe’s dad’s. Gabe was riding around with him that night, so we hung out until my parents came and got us.”

Ryan started laughing, “Dude, the last person at Palo who I’d expect to be a cop’s son is Gabe.”

“I know, right?” Brendon laughed. It was silent for a few minutes before Brendon spoke again, “So, what do you want to do?”

“What?” Ryan squinted.

“I mean, should we stay here, or should we try to figure out how to get back?”

“It’s too dark to see anything around us, I don’t think we’d be able to find our way back.”

“Alright,” Brendon nodded pulling out his cellphone, “I don’t have a signal.”

“This is the part where the killer comes out of the woods, isn’t it?”

“No, man,” Brendon shook his head, “The killer only kills the naked guy and girl going at it, we’re totally safe.”

They both started laughing again, and Ryan was wondering why he wasn’t a bit more worried.

Brendon pulled out his phone and cursed, “Do you have any bars?”

“Of course, I have AT&T.” Ryan rolled his eyes pulling out his phone and flipping it open. He stared at the screen for a second before looking at Brendon, “It’s dead.” Brendon started laughing again, and Ryan joined in.

“At least we’ll get out of school tomorrow.” Ryan shrugged.

- - -

Brendon

- - -
Brendon leaned back for a second and closed his eyes, that’s when something popped into his mind, “Will,” He spoke wide eyed, “Shit, he’s going to freak.” He leaned forward again and put his head in his hands.

“Isn’t he staying with Gabe?” Ryan spoke hesitantly.

“No, they were going to see a movie after school, then come back to my house. That movie was probably over a long time ago.”

Ryan didn’t know what to say.

“It’s fine,” Brendon spoke straightening up, “Mom and dad will probably just tell him that I’m at a friend’s house or something, hopefully.”

“Won’t your mom and dad be worried?” Ryan squinted.

“I mean,” Brendon shrugged, “Yeah, but they can’t let Will know that.”

“You guys are pretty close, huh?” Ryan spoke for lack of anything better to say.

“Yeah,” Brendon sighed, before he took a big breath, “He’ll be fine.” He spoke again shaking his head as if to forget it, “Will your dad be worried?”

“Probably,” Ryan lied, “Hopefully he’ll be out late and won’t check on me before he goes to bed.” Ryan shrugged.

“I thought he worked on the weekends.” Brendon squinted.

“Oh, yeah,” Ryan shook his head, “He does.”

- - -
Ryan

- - -

Damnit! Why does Brendon have to be a good listener? Ryan glanced out his window, hoping the subject would just blow over, and it did, thankfully. Ryan started thinking about what his dad was doing in the silence, and he started getting worried. Maybe he won’t notice Ryan’s absence. Ryan kept telling himself this, but it wasn’t working, and he found himself placing his hand over his heart again, gripping his tshirt subconsciously.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back!!! :D

Comment and let me know what you think. :D

<3 Penn