Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 3

Image

"Are you guys gonna get up anytime soon, it's 2 o clock," Jessi said as she barged in. She took one look at us and turned away quickly, like she wasn't sure of what to think about the sight she saw in front of her. I opened my eyes tiredly and all I could see was Max's cheek. The rest of my body woke up and I realized that our position hadn't changed from when I accidentally fell asleep. I closed my eyes and thought about what I was doing. He probably has a girlfriend...this is wrong... I said to myself in my mind. I closed my eyes at the thought, I obviously didn't want him to have a girlfriend or anything of that sort. I sighed softly, being very careful to not wake him up. I glanced up at his sleeping eyes, my long eye lashes brushing against his cheek. He soon opened his eyes tiredly like I had a couple seconds ago; it was almost like he could pretty much sense when I wasn't asleep. He smiled at me and took his arm off of me, letting his other one just lay underneath me and rest securely around my waist. I coughed awkwardly and looked around. Max laughed lightly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep like that, I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable," he said softly, as I was right in his face and any louder volume wasn't needed.

"....It's okay.." I said, pressing my lips together firmly and looking around the room, yet again awkwardly.

"Are you okay?" he asked, taking the arm that was around my waist and putting it down on the bed.

"Yeah I guess...do you have a girlfriend?" I asked immediately. I didn't want to ruin a relationship yet again.

"No," he said, furrowing his eyebrows down at me.

"Oh, I just- not that I want to-I don't know I just-" I stammered. Max laughed at me.

"It's okay, I understand, it's fine," he assured me. There was a comfortable silence then, as we just stared over each others' faces.

"I bet girls love you," I said, probably sounding dumb. Max laughed a little more than he probably should have.

"Yeah..." he trailed off. I smiled and he smiled too. "You're cute," he said randomly.

"I don't think you wanna go that far," I said depressingly. Max raised an eyebrow at me.

"Where am I going?" he asked teasingly. I sighed.

"I bet you have no idea what you do to some girls either," I laughed sadly. Max chuckled.

"I was just being honest," he said sweetly.

"I swear you're gay, no straight man would be like this...I hope you're not gay," I rambled on. I widened my eyes a little bit and looked past him at the window when I realized what I had said. Max laughed and laughed and laughed.

"Why is that?" he asked, pressing the issue further.

"It's not that hard to figure out, really..." I said quickly, not wanting to get into the subject. Max smiled in the cockiest way and I narrowed my eyes at him, but I couldn't look away.

"Hmmm.." he said, not taking the smile off his face. I had to laugh at him. I felt the warmth of his hand on the small of my back again and I jumped a little bit. He laughed evily.

"Shut up," I blushed.

"This could add up to very large amounts of fun..." he smirked. I looked at him angrily and his cocky smile faded instantly. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'm sorry," he said, as his words came out faster and faster. I laughed this time.

"Why are we still laying like this?" I asked, sighing. He smiled warmly down at me and my lips twitched into one as well.

"I don't mind it, you smell good," he winked at me and I blushed harder than ever.

"You're a creep...sleeping with a girl that you don't even know and telling her these things...and holding her like this," I prodded at him teasingly.

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. All of these things Jessi and Bryan have told me about you, I just had to see it for myself..and they were right so far," he said softly. "You also needed it, and I wanted to make up with you for walking in on you last night, so I wanted to do anything I could to help you....you looked like you were in so much pain," he said, his face tightening. I pursed my lips together, I didn't know what to say. I smiled, wanting to end this conversation so we could get up. I went to kiss him on the cheek to thank him for everything, because that's the only thing I knew I could do without it being awkward and weird. I strained my body upward so I could reach his cheek quickly but what I felt was not his cheek. I was going to pull away but he was pressing back, and I finally, with shock, realized our lips were touching. I felt about 10 electric shocks go up my spine and my whole body shook as he pressed his lips against mine firmly and softly at the same time. He broke away and I exhaled loudly, I was so out of breath. I just layed there, frozen. My cheeks were burning and I wanted to hide my face.

"Uhhh....I meant to get your cheek...but...alright," I said, unsure of what to do or say. Max didn't say anything, he just sat there, staring into space in shock as well.

"I didn't mean to turn my face either..." he trailed off, his eyes not blinking once. I laughed at the situation but cursed my luck inside my head at the same time. I shuffled sideways to get up off the bed, to get out of here and be able to clear my head, but it felt like my shirt was stuck on something. I felt down to what it was and I felt Max's hand holding onto it gently. "That felt...nice..." he trailed off, opening his mouth and closing it again like he wanted to say something more. I sighed and put my hand on my face.

"Max..trust me, you don't want that," I said painfully. As much as I wanted to be with someone like him, I couldn't trust myself.

"But-" he started. I put my fingers against his lips.

"No, Max....you don't. There's better girls out there for you, believe me," I said, almost wanting to cry. And with that, I got up and walked out of the room and down the stairs, feeling like shit for what I had told him as soon as I closed the door behind me.