‹ Prequel: Prove It

I Guess I Just Don't Get It

Four. A Little Longer

One day a month or so later, after a particularly long, hard practice, we had gathered so Coach could talk to us for few minutes. After he had spoken for what felt like forever, he said, "World Cup training starts tomorrow! Be here at seven tomorrow morning! Youth game tomorrow at 4."
I wasn't sure whether to feel excited about training or to dread it, so I decided not to say anything while the guys conversed excitedly, making predictions about the outcome of the Cup.
I was interrupted from my daydreaming when I was lightly elbowed by Xabi Alonso, who asked, "Well, Camry? What do you think? Are we gonna win?"
I smiled. "I think we definitely could, but Brazil, Portugal and Argentina are amazing, too."
He nodded in agreement. "But I think we can take them. If we work hard enough."
"Absolutely! That's the spirit!" An excited Sergio appeared on my other side, smiling and putting an arm around me before giving me a kiss.
"Why are you so excited?" I smiled and asked. "It's creeping me out."
"Oh, okay, I can be mean instead, if that's what you want?" He retorted, putting on a fake mean face.
"Oh shut up, Sergio, you don't have the true mean spirit that us real soccer players do," David Villa jabbed.
They continued their playful banter until we arrived at our cars, and we departed for the night. On the way home Sergio suddenly turned the music off and turned to me. "How about we go out tonight? For the start of World Cup training, and just...because we haven't gone out, just the two of us, in forever?"
I studied his neutral expression for a few seconds before smiling and agreeing.
By now we had arrived at my little bungalow style house, and on the way to my door I asked where we were going. He simply smiled and said, "Just dress nicely. I'll pick you up in an hour."
I stood there with a raised eyebrow as he gave me a parting kiss and turned on the spot and headed back to his car. I did so as well and immediately headed to the shower to rinse off again; I had a thing about the showers at the field, I just never felt as clean afterwards as I did at home. I stepped out and blow-dried, then curled my naturally straight hair before applying a little bit of makeup, only mascara and a bit of eyeliner.
It was then that I faced the problem of something to wear. It seemed like I had a lot of clothes, which I did, but none of them quite matched well with each other. It took me about ten minutes to pick out a crème color dress with a skinny black belt, and I dug out a black clutch with a crème bow on it. It was then that I heard the doorbell ring and the door open.
"Camry? You ready?" I heard Sergio call from the living room.
I stuck my head out the door and replied, "One second, almost ready!' I hurried to find some simple black peep-toe pumps and I threw some diamond earrings and matching necklace on before reappearing in the living room. "Is this okay?"
He nodded and smiled. "It's perfect."
I smiled and followed him out to the car, and we were on the way. The ride seemed to take forever, considering he wouldn't tell me where we were going. It was quite irritating. Within ten minutes we pulled into the parking lot of a small, modern-looking restaurant I had never even known was there.

On the way back home I had Jack Johnson playing when we pulled into my driveway. Sergio cut the engine as I was in the middle of singing along softly to Good People and walked me up to my door. I unlocked it and turned to him. "Are you gonna come inside?"
"I don't know if I should," he said quietly. "We're gonna have an early morning."
"I think you can still stay a little while at least," I said softly, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing his neck, moving up to his mouth.
"Well, I guess I could stay for a few minutes," he said, picking me up and kicking the door shut.

Beep, beep, beep! My alarm clock woke me up ridiculously early the next morning for the seven a.m. practice. I went to roll over but was stopped by a heavy weight on my stomach. I stopped the alarm and slid out of bed before getting my training gear on, letting Sergio sleep as long as he could.
"Sergio. Sergio. Sergio!" I lightly shook him awake so we could go to his house really fast for him to change as well.
He groaned and rolled over.
"Come on, we have practice in forty five minutes! Let's go! I'll drive, if you want."
I managed to get him in the car and I drove over to his house. While he changed I grabbed him a bagel and a protein shake and we were on our way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooer. I felt like I should post a chapter, cause ya know....World Cup. GO SPAIN!!

And how bout that Portugal/North Korea game? Ronaldo's goal was beast!