Adolescence

Cigarettes and Valentines

"No! Stop it! Dad don't do this to me!" I'm Jessica Thibedeaux. And this is my story. I was leaning against the school building and took a big inhail of the last cigarette in my pack. I know I'm 15 and I shouldn't smoke, but my parents drive me to it. My best friend Amber came up to me and handed her my cigarette. "That's good stuff," she said blowing O's out of her mouth.

"Yeah." We didn't talk much. She threw it in the grass and mushed it down with her shoe.

"Wanna skip today?" she asked looking at the drug store down the street.

"Yeah sounds good to me." We walked down the street to the store and were getting al kinds of tablets. Including cigarettes. Amber threw all the bottles and packs on the counter and gave the cashier 20$.

"Aren't you guys a little young to smoke?"

"No." He rolled his eyes and rang up everything. We left the store and went to the side of the building and practically inhaled the tablets. A guy that looked a few years older than us came over to me and Amber.

"Hey, I was just wondering if I could join you guys. Maybe even give you some beer." He held up a brown bag and took a swig of it.

"Sure. Any guy that's got beer can hang with us," I said. He passed the bottle around and before long, we got a little woozy.

"How about some good stuff?" the guy said pulling out a plastic bag with paper and weed. Yes joints.

"Man, we are going to be so wasted!" Amber said.

"Yeah. Watch us go back to school like this," I responded. The guy's eyes opened wide.

"You guys are still in school?"

"Yeah...aren't you?" Amber laughed.

"No. I'm 19. I dropped out. I dropped the bottle as it burst everywhere and Amber was almost licking it off the ground. "Um, you guys need to get back to school. I'll see you around." He took a last inhale of his cigarette. "I best be gettin' on my way." Amber and I got up and stumbled to the edge of the street. "Wait," he said taking out some cologne. He sprayed it on us. "There." We walked to school but Amber didn't make it all the way. I had to throw her in the bushes. I opened the door and lucky me it was passing period so I could get to 4th period without being noticed. I never am noticed anyway. I took my seat at the back of Ms. Caulfield's class with my hood drawn and my head on my desk. Slowly, I fell asleep. In my dream, I had cigarettes. Lots of them. Then he was there. I didn't even ask his name. Who cares about names anymore? Ms. Caulfield suddenly popped into my dream. I woke up startled and she was right there and kids were laughing at me.

"Detention." Ahh. My second home.