Adolescence

Bad Girlfriend

Me and Amber, I never really thought we'd work out to be great friends. Just drug buddies and now we're not even that because I stopped. For now. Ed wasn't at school today. I was sad. And I was bored. And the bus was late. Billie. "Hey Billie, what's up?" I said as he opened the door.

"Nothing, shouldn't you be with your boyfriend?"

"He's sick. Besides, I wanted to see how you were doing."

"Y-You came here to see how I was doing?" he asked.

"Yeah, is that so hard to believe?" He stood aside to let me in and there were two people sitting on the couch.

"Jessica, these are my good friends Adrienne and Jason." [spaz]

"Oh, hi," I said shyly. "Billie, I didn't mean to interrupt your party."

"It's okay," he shrugged. "I'm used to it." I nodded and sat on the couch next to Jason. [spaz] And the passing of drugs began... The sound of sirens outside made me come out of unconsciousness. Someone was poking me and I looked up to see the girl Billie had intreduced me to that I forgot her name.

"Hey girl, are you okay?" I rubbed my head and looked up at her. Damn she was pretty.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said groggily. I looked around but only she was in the room. "Where is Billie?"

"Passed out in the bedroom. I know. Boyfriends. They can be such jackasses sometimes." Boyfriend?

"Oh, uh...Boyfriend? I didn't know you guys were together."

"Oh, yeah [lmao] We've been going out for about a year." DAYUM!

"Really? Do you live around here? I don't think I've seen you around," I was trying to make small talk.

"Uh, no. I live in Berkeley. I'm visiting for the month."

"Oh, how long have you known each other?"

"Um, I believe for 10 years. And when be becomes my boyfriend, he gets so irresponsible," she sighed. "He's always on drugs and believes his little band will go somewhere." She paused. "Hey, let's just keep this between you and me, I don't even like the guy, I'm just waiting until he gets money." I was sitting here, witnessing what this person was saying, anger growing inside me.

"Oh, I won't tell anyone. You can trust me. Um," I paused. "Tell Billie I said bye. I gotta get home."

"Kay, thanks for stopping by." I walked outside and looked at my watch. 7:10. When I got home, I climbed through my window and fell on my bed. But it wasn't my bed. When I plopped, I didn't hear the springs of a normal bed, I heard a grunt. I almost screamed but the person I fell on switched on my nightstand lamp.

"Ed!" I said quietly, but loudly.

"Hello." He stroked my hair and pulled me down to kiss me.

"I thought you were sick," I said.

He shook his head. "No, I had to go to Pennsylvania today."

"Oh." I didn't feel like asking why or why he lied to me. "When did you get back?"

"Ten minutes ago. I decided to come here and see you. I hope you doin't mind me coming in here. Just a surprise."

"Well you certainly surprised me, but this was a good surprise, I'm glad the first person I see when I get home is you. It's kind of nice," I said and smiled. He smiled back and kissed me again. I layed down on top of him and closed my eyes. "You're great unlike some other people in this world," I said.

"What do you mean?"

"Like today, I was at my friend's house, and his girlfriend was talking about how she didn't even like him."

"Oh, well that's just terrible," he said.

I heard a knock on my door followed by, "Who's down there?"

"Shit," I whispered. "Ed, go out the window and go knock on the front door." He quickly obeyed. "No one, Mom. Just practicing my speech for teen leadership." She opened the door and looked down the stairway and put her hand on her hip.

"So where's your paper?" she asked.

"I'm supposed to memorize it," I said casually. She stopped before she said anymore because the doorbell rang.

"Who the hell is that?" she murmured and slammed my door. I heard some loud, excited talking and a knock on my door.

"Come down," I yelled. Ed, standing there with the light shining in behind him above me, each time, the image of Ed as an angel becoming more clear. He walked down the stairs and plopped on my bed.

"So, what do you want to do tomorrow? Something special?" he asked excitedly.

"Why?" I asked suspiciously as he pulled me down next to him.

"I don't know, tomorrow seems like a pretty important day, don't you think?"

"Where is this going?" I asked.

"Oh, nowhere," he said nautically. "You'll see."

"Goddamnit Ed. I hate surprises." He smiled menacingly and bent in to kiss me.

-The Next Day-

I walked to school and Ed was leaning against the bike rack, waiting for me as I went to him and wrapped my arms around him. "So what's my surprise?" I asked.

"Well if I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise, now would it?" he laughed and kissed my nose. "Besides, I want you to be sick with worry all day because I'm not saying anything else about it until after school," he smiled.

I opened my mouth in surprise. "You are so mean! I hate you!"

"I love you too, babe." He laughed and pulled me closer.

-After School-

I found Ed at the usual spot outside and ran to him as he picked me up into the air. He kissed me and then looked at me. "Okay, can I have it now?" I asked impatiently.

"Have what? A kiss?" he joked and he kissed me forcefully. I pushed him away playfully. "Oh, you mean it. Sorry, honey. I'm not ready for that yet."

"No!" I was laughing and crying at the same time. "My surprise! Can I have it now?!"

"Fine, fine. Get in the car," he said and motioned his head in the direction his car was parked.

I ran to the car and got in as quickly as I could and he drove to his house.

"I thought your car got taken away..."

He shrugged. "You'd be suprised at how persuasive I can be. Okay, close your eyes," he whispered in my ear and covered my eyes with his hands.

"You know, I can't see like this," I said.

He laughed. "That's kind of the point, but keep 'em closed."

"I am, I am."

"...Alright open." He took his hands away and I was afraid to open them on my own.

"What's with the cake?" I asked, confused.

"Dig around in the cake."

"...Why?" My voice shook. "Is there like some sort of razor in there or something?"

"No, but there is something in it." I eyed the cake and my eyes shot from the cake to Ed a couple of times before I darted to the cake and shoved my hands inside. "Having fun?" he asked.

"Uh, no. Not until I..." I pulled out an object that was covered in cake. "find something." I rubbed my finger to wipe away the cake residue and it was a key. "What is it to?" I asked, looking at him.

He shrugged. "I don't know. Let's go see." He opened the door and there was a brand new car outside. Don't ask me what it was, because I don't know.

"Oh, Ed. Is it mine?"

"Well, yeah. You like it?"

"Well, yeah!" I mocked.

He grabbed me around my waist and placed his chin on my shoulder. "Happy Birthday."

[Cheiyenne's Contribution]

The sun shove brightly on the brand new car. It sparkled and gleamed as my eyes scanned it happily.