Adolescence

Final Day

-Two Years Later, Ed's POV-

It's been nearly six years since I'd last seen Jessica. But I have to check up on her.

I was roaming aorund the grocery store for about ten minutes before I spotted her and watched at a distance. She put the last item in her buggy and headed for the check-out.
She was so gorgeous---so grown up; after all, she is 21 now. So much more mature than the 16 year old I loved. Her hair was blonde now, and she was still so skinny.

I left out of the store before her so I could see her come out. When she did, she went to her car but didn't get inside. Instead she looked around like she was expecting someone.
And there he came. Billie. And he was carrying a small girl with blonde pigtails, eating ice cream.

"Mommy!" The girl yelled and reached out for Jessica with her free arm. Billie handed her off and she kissed her daughter's cheek and raised her into the air. That's when it caught my eye. There was a big, shiny ring on her finger. She situated the girl on her hip as she continued to eat the ice cream.
Billie kissed her sweetly and put their child in the car seat.

And that's when I realized...she did everything I wanted for her: she forgot about me, and she was living a normal life with Billie and their kid.
Right before Jessica got in the car, she turned in my direction, made eye contact, smiled, and climbed in the passenger seat.
And that was the last time I ever saw her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin.