Following You

Chapter 3

As it got later it seemed to get louder, probably because majority of the people at this ball had more alcohol in their system. I was fairly bored though, I do enjoy taking pictures but each picture I took of these people seemed to be the exact same, I didn’t like that. I tried searching for Holli so I could talk to someone for a bit, since she was the only one I knew, but I was in no luck and couldn’t spot her in the swarm of people surrounding the entire hall. I’d even checked outside incase she’d gone for a break, I’d tried to stay out there for a bit but got some evil stares off of a few of the workers so I just went back to the hall.

I was looking around the room, for something new, something really interesting, I noticed a group of people wearing masquerade masks, they were the only ones, a mixture between men and women, old and young.

“That’s the Naismith lot.” I jumped at the sound of Holli’s voice due to her sneaking up on me, “Don’t get in their way because they don’t take any crap, I’ve got to go anyway.”

She walked off, smiling and nodding at certain people. I turned back to where the Naismith family was, I should have guessed it was them since they were situated on, what I would assume, the grand tier, where they have the best and only the best, and also because they had masquerade masks on and no one else did, it would just get them that extra bit of attention. Even though part of their faces were covered I was still able to tell when one of the men turned and looked directly at me, talking to some security guy and pointing. Was I getting in trouble for looking, if so then that was just stupid.

The security guy came down the staircase and started to walk towards me, I felt a little nervous even though I didn’t know what was about to happen.

“Come with me please, sir would like you to get some pictures of them, since the professional photographer didn’t show.”

I nodded and followed him even though I weren’t too happy, just because I don’t have professional in my title, doesn’t mean I’m not good at my job. I held onto the banister tightly as I walked up the stairs, I was a bit nervous, I didn’t have clue what these people were going to be like. I know I’ve been in the presence of many important people tonight but now it’s was the Naismith’s, it was a completely different story. The only opinion I really had on them was my own and Oliver’s, and we both thought that if we talked to one of them then they would just ignore us, now I’d probably be getting orders from them.

When I could see everyone I mustered up the best smile I could, someone came forward and put his hand out to me, I shook it even though I’d probably gained sweaty palms and shaky hands due to my nervousness, it amazes me how people I don’t even know can do that to me.

“All you have to do is take some pictures, not that hard, okay?”

I spluttered out a, “Yes, Sir.” And then just got on with it.

I tried to shake off the anxious feeling that had taken over me, I tried to think about other things but nothing seemed to help, instead I took notice of all the people I was taking pictures of. The way they acted was beyond me, to me it felt so forced, as though they had a role to play when they were surrounded by more than one of their ‘kind’ but if they were tucked away indoors then they’d be themselves a bit more, once again it was just an opinion but I didn’t like the vibe too much, so much awkwardness and tension there, it was pretty intimidating.

It was decorated differently too, the main colour seemed to be a type of burgundy since it was the colour of the tablecloths, napkins, cushions on the chairs and so much more. I kept snapping random pictures, no one was really taking any notice of me anymore so I felt as though the pressure had eased up just that little bit. It was actually huge up here, even though you wouldn’t expect it. I took notice of the tiniest things such as the engraving on the cutlery or the pattern on the curtain tie backs, I took pictures of the tiny things too, not to show the Naismith’s but to show Oliver. I’d feel bad if I didn’t even give him a glimpse into their lifestyle.

I noticed a girl sitting at the table closest to the wall, she seemed oblivious to what was going on since there was another girl with her and she weren’t taking any notice of what she was saying, instead just nodding and humming occasionally so that she wouldn’t seem rude. Eventually the girl who had been speaking excused herself from the table, I carried on taking random pictures, just so it wouldn’t seem like I was staring at this stranger. I didn’t want to scare her. I took in her appearance, well at least clothing, I couldn’t see her face due to the mask she had on. It was a vibrant blue and yellow, that turned to green where the two colours touched, it looked as though it had been perfectly shaped to fit her heart shaped face, little jewels were stuck to it, with one peacock and one pink feather attached to it. It was like a burst of colour on her since she wore a plain, cream dress with it. I was able to see her lips though, therefore I was able to see her frown. She removed her masquerade mask and placed it on the table in front of her, sighing a little as she did so. I was able to see all of her face now, proving it was definitely heart shaped that held two fairly, vibrant green eyes. Her nose flicked slightly at the end but not too much, underneath were plump, pink lips that covered white teeth which I noticed when she forced a smile at someone. Her hair was a dirty blonde colour but it suited her pale skin, it was curled slightly at the end, it seemed pretty natural.

I took a picture of her.

I took another.

And another.

I took quite a few of her, I looked at everyone of them as soon as I took it. Her pictures were different, they seemed to give off a more natural and real feel to them, it showed her emotions in them slightly, in some of them she looked as though she was on the verge of tears but when I’d look back up at her she’d look different, she’d just be staring at something, at anything. I moved closer to try and get some better pictures, I kept moving closer, I stopped when I saw a man walk towards her. I could hear the conversation.

“Why aren’t you wearing that?” He pointed towards the mask she had removed and placed on the table.

“It’s uncomfortable.” Her voice was so faint, it sounded like she couldn’t be bothered.

“Well you’re suppose to wear it, you know that, now put it on, you’re making a bad example of the family.” She didn’t move. “Put it on, now.” The man talking to her seemed very demanding and intimidating, she picked up the masquerade mask from the table and slipped it onto her pale face but not before apologising to, what she called, her father. He walked off, leaving her there, she only seemed more down.

I considered walking over there but a Naismith wouldn’t want to communicate with me unless they had to. She turned around and noticed me, staring at her, I did the best thing I could think of, taking a picture. She laughed slightly, before smiling at me and then getting up from her seat and walking away. I just carried on watching her, I watched her walk all the way to the door and then I watched her turn around and smile at me once more before exiting the room.

I jumped again at Holli’s voice, “I’ve been looking for you everywhere, you’re allowed to leave now, I’ll be out in about ten minutes so go get the car started.”

“Ok, see you in a bit.” I looked back at the door the girl had exited out of, “What’s through that door?”

Holli looked where I was pointing at and then turned to me, “It leads to the floor where some of the bedrooms are.”

“Who’s?”

“I think it’s the two young daughters, Annie and Georgia, why?”

“Just being nosy.” She shook her head at me before shooing me towards the stairs so that I would leave.

I walked out the exit, feeling a bit chuffed with myself, if that door led to the daughter’s bedrooms then I could have possibly just made a Naismith daughter laugh. Just wait until Oliver hears about this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please?