‹ Prequel: The Red Hot Tamales

Suga Babies

That's How The Cookie Crumbled

Liliana

My mother all but tied me up and threw me in the car to drag me to this "date" that her, dad, Copper and Todd thought of. Lets just say that I threw a major bitch fit. I tried to make up so many excuses, but they fell on deaf ears. I knew that it was to good to be true when I get called from detention because mom was here to pick me up. See, it's Thursday. Normally that involves the family dinner... but apparently the rentals had a different plan. They have this insane idea to set Dade and I on a date, a DATE!!! I mean seriously... wtf?

So I get in the car with mom on this Thursday, not expecting anything.

"Hey mom" I should have been wary.

"Hey Honey... Want to go shopping? I realize we never have any girl time." See, now I should have been running from the car screaming. But no... I had to agree.

"Umm... sure. Why not. I can get some new clothes while I am there." I sit back into the seat and listen to the music, which is actually the music I listen to. See if I haven't figured it out by now, then I should have figured it out when Porcelain And The Tramps was playing. Mom hates them, she likes stuff like Cage the Elephant. King Of The World came on, and I started to sing along with the singers.

"You know, I wanted to be in a band when I was younger." Mom said out of no where. I stopped singing and looked at her. She smiled at me turned forward again before continuing.

"I love playing the guitar. I wanted to be the lead guitarist in a band, but I never got around to actually putting one together. I wonder if I still can rip on the guitar..." She trailed off and stared out the front window. She fell silent as she no doubt dreamed of playing on her guitar. I smiled and continued to sing, the song almost over.

"I still have my guitar. It is black around the edges, but blue in the middle. Maybe I will play it for you sometime. Though, I am not a good singer like you." She smiled at me when she said that. I smiled back at her. I look back out the front and started to sing again, this time with more enthusiasm.

We pulled into the mall's parking lot, and walked in the front doors. The cool, air conditioned air sent goosebumps dancing down our exposed skin. We went from store to store, trying to get each other to dress differently then what we were used to. I tried to get her to go emo, she tried to get me to go prep like. I told her she should put some colors in her hair, she told me I should take some out. I currently had lots or hot pink in my hair. We were in hot topic now, and I was trying to get her to wear one of the corsets they had there. Lets just say I would have gotten a rabid pit bull in one quicker.

"You know I am having a really good time here Lily." My mom smiled at me. She had gotten me practically everything I laid my eyes on. Despite the spoildness, I was having a great time goofing off with her.

"Me too mom. Okay, how about we compromise. I get less color in my hair, you get a couple teal streaks?" She thought about it for a few minutes, screwing up her face in the process.

"Deal." She smiled and we walked towards the hair salon together. An hour later, we came out. She had a couple of teal streaks in her hair, and I only had a few hot pink streaks. I wonder if I could convince her to get my nosed pierced. I looked at her out of the corner of my eye.

"You know mom, I have been wanting to get my nose pierced for a while now..." She turned and glared at me. Then she stopped and it looked like she was arguing with herself. Finally, she looked defeated. I almost started to jump for joy when she grinned evilly at me.

"How about a deal. You go on a date with Dade and I will take you to get your nose pierced." She still had that evil grin on her face. Inside I knew I wasn't getting my nose pierced for a long time.

"Mom, Dade and I are just friends, we don't see each other that way." I quickly lied.

"Come on, just go on a date with him, and I will throw in a belly button piercing." I narrowed my eyes at her. She just smiled at me.

"He will never say yes mom... like I said, we don't like each other that way." Which was true, I just left out the part where we hated each other.

"What if he already said yes?" Mom walked away as she said it, and I was standing there staring at her back in confusion.

"What?" My mind tried to comprehend what she said, but it drew up a blank every time. She turned back to me.

"You and Dade are already going to go on a date." I opened my mouth to protest when she cut me off.

"Tonight. No excuses. Now how about this. We go to get your nose pierced, and when the date is over, I will make an appointment to get you're belly button pierced?" I just stared at her. Finally it sunk in.

"What?! Mom what have you done!" She just continued to grin. Finally, the whole day sunk in. Why she was so willing to go where I wanted, buy what I wanted, and do what I wanted... so she can use it against me in the end. I can hear her argument now...

Liliana Catalina Rivera, don't you think I deserve something in return for doing everything you wanted to do today? For getting you everything you wanted today? I even got streaks in my hair for you, now I think you should do something for me. And this date with Dade is it.

Yea... my mom is a devious bitch. And at the moment I had a whole world of respect for her. She made my devious plans look like child's play. When she put her mind to it, devious plans and all, she gets what she wants. Finally she spoke, letting the horror and defeat sink in.

"Liliana Catalina Rivera, don't you think I deserve something in return for doing everything you wanted to do today? For getting you everything you wanted today? I even got streaks in my hair for you, now I think you should do something for me. And this date with Dade is it. Please just do this for me?" See, I knew what she was going to say before she said it. I can't believe I fell for any of it. I crossed my arms in front of my chest and glared at her. She just laughed at me because she knew she won.

I followed her out of the mall, and we drove to Under The Gun, the tattoo parlor where she had already called and made an appointment. She knew before I asked that this is what I wanted. Was I that predictable? Twenty minutes later, I had my nose pierced and I listened closely to the guys instructions on proper cleaning treatment. And I had a plan. As soon as we got home for me to get ready for the date, I was running.

But as soon as we got into the car mom turned towards me.

"When we get home, go into the downstairs bathroom and change. You're outfit is already laid out. Then meet me back in the car." I stared at her in horror. Damn!! My mouth snapped shut and I glared at her. I wasn't going to make this easy. We were half way home when something occurred to me.

"Wait, did Dade seriously know about this and agreed to it? Or is he being forced like me?" She smiled.

"He agreed to it." Anger filled me. As soon as the car stopped, I slammed my way to the bathroom and locked the door. I pulled my phone out.

Dade, did you agree to this date thing?

Cat? How the hell did you get my cell number? I rolled my eyes.

Don't worry about that. Now did you or didn't you agree to this date thing?

You seriously think I would agree to go on a DATE with YOU? I sighed. I should have known that. Damn, I was falling for a lot of mom's lies today.

Great, our parents are now trying to play match makers... this should be illeagal.

lol. You got that right Cat. I tried to get out. Was contemplating saying I was gay. I snickered.

Wouldn't that be telling the truth Dear Dade?

Shut up Rivera. I am not Gay. I rolled my eyes.

Whatever. GTG b4 warden comes to find out why I am taking so long.

I glanced at my outfit. It wasn't that bad actually. It was a red long sleeve shirt that was low cut in the front, that revealed a little to much but I didn't care so much at the moment. Mom also had picked out a denim mini and black leggings. I shrugged and put on the outfit. I stood there staring at myself in the mirror, and then my eyes were drawn to the razor sitting on the sink. I picked it up and stared at it. I rolled back one of my sleeves. I stared at my cuts and then at the razor.

Should I?

Why not? It's not like I would be able to cut later.

I put the razor to my skin, but didn't cut.

But... What if I do cut later?

I stared at the silver metal, how scary it looked against my tan skin. My heart was suddenly clenched with fear and I dropped the blade. It clattered into the sink and I stared at it. Suddenly someone banged on the door, causing me to jump.

"Lily? What is taking you so long?" I took a deep breath to calm my pounding heart.

"Can't I at least pee? God!" I put the razor back and pretended that I was peeing, then opened the door.

"Come on lets get this over with." I shoved past mom and stalked towards the car. Mom just giggled darkly behind me and followed.

~*~THE DATE~*~

So I got dropped off at the park and was told to go to the damn fountain, with warnings of eternal grounding and sent to live with Aunt Maria. I shuddered and stalked to the damn fountain. I hate staying at Aunt Maria's because she always tries to make me into a lady. Like a Southern Belle. I sat on a bench next to the fountain and waited for Dade.

"Yo! Cat!" I turned towards the familiar voice and grinned. Ace and Angel were standing next to the fountain. I got up and walked towards them.

"Hey Ace, Hey Angel. Working?" They just grinned and Angel just fanned her face, but I knew she was showing me the new ring she had on her hand. A giant diamond ring that neither of them could afford. I just laughed.

"What are you doing here Cat? Thinking of trying you're hand at the family business?" I shook my head at him.

"Remember Dade?" He rolled his eyes at me.

"Seriously? Do I remember Dade? Well lets see..." I laughed and cut him off.

"Well our parents are forcing us both on a date, and I am supposed to be meeting him here." Ace's eyes got round and he exchanged a look with Angel.

"So... you're date is the pretty boy who is over there pacing and shooting dirty looks in this direction?" Angel pointed behind me. I turned and sure enough, there was Dade. Damn. I was hoping he wouldn't make it, or just not show up.

"Damn... yea. That's him alright." I turned back towards Ace and Angel. Ace shook his head at me.

"Shouldn't you go over there then?" I shook my head.

"Na. I will let him wait a few more minutes." Ace shook his head this time.

"I am waiting for the day." I narrowed my eyes at him in confusion.

"What day? For what?" But Ace just shook his head and pointed to Ace before turning and walking away, Angel following. I sighed and turned back towards Dade. I groaned and headed over to him.

"I see you are friends with the local low life Cat. Why doesn't that surprise me?" Hi Dade, nice to see you too.

"Why doesn't it surprise me that your a self centered stuck up prick? I shot back. He sighed.

"Come on, lets get this thing over with." He started walking away then stopped.

"Wait, are we still having the dinner thing tonight?" I just shrugged.

"You probably know more than I do Dade." He sighed and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He pressed a button then put the phone to his ear.

"Mom, Do we still have the dinner thing tonight?" He smacked his forehead to whatever his mother said.

"Well what if Lily and I just go out to eat? Might as well since we are on this date thing anyways." He nodded to whatever Copper said.

"Okay. Yea she is here." He held the phone out to me.

"It's for you..." I looked at him confused. He just shrugged and I took the phone.

"Hello?"

"Lily, It's Copper. Now I know you hate the girlie clothes I design, but I was inspired by a dream I had last night, and I think I have some clothes you might like. Would you please come over sometime and look them over, or try them on? Please?" I was shocked.

"Umm... Sure Copper, that would be fine. How about this Saturday, I am not doing anything."

"Perfect! Alright sweetie, have fun. I got to go!" She hung up and I handed the phone back to Dade. I was still shocked.

"What was that about?" Dade asked. I looked up at him. He almost looked concerned.

"You're mom designed clothes for me. She wants me to look at them." His eyebrows raised and he looked shocked.

"Oh. Well... where do you want to go to eat then?" I looked at him and just stared. He shuffled uncomfortably.

"Look, I don't want to do this thing anymore than you do, but we might as well try to not kill each other and try to have a good time. Notice how I said try." I sighed.

"Follow me then." I walked past him, heading to my favorite place to eat.

"Where we going?" Dade said catching up to me. He bumped into an old man. The man turned towards Dade.

"Watch where you are going young man!" He snapped at Dade. Dade apologized and caught up to me. I had stopped in front of the small restaurant that no one eats at anymore, since the park now has a McDonald's, Pizza Hut, and other sorts of fast food places. But this place was small and peaceful. Sort of like the Willow tree we go to. Dade stopped and blinked staring at the place.

"When was this put in here?" I laughed and he looked at me confused.

"It has been here since the park was built. No one really goes here, so we won't have to worry about you losing your reputation if you are seen eating with me." I walked in and smiled at Angela, the owners daughter.

"Hey Cat! You're usual spot and meal? Whoa, who is this?" Angela smiled at Dade who stopped behind me.

"Yes, and this is Dade." Angela shot me a look, I had told her all about the whole Dade situation and she looked back at Dade. He didn't miss the look either. I walked to the back of the restaurant and sat at my favorite booth, Dade sliding in the spot across from me.

"What was that about?" Dade asked, referring to the look Angela shot me. I gave him my best innocent look.

"I don't know what you are talking about Dade. Honestly." I smiled at him and Angela came over to give me my Mountain Dew and take Dade's drink. I always get the Baked Ziti special. It was heavenly. A small side salad comes with it, topped with my favorite things. Dade ordered a burger and fries.

"So what is you're usual?" Dade asked, bringing my attention from the people outside back to him.

"The baked Ziti special. You have to try it, it is out of this world. I swear it." I said as I looked back out the window. I wish I had brought my sketch pad. That's what I do here, sit here and sketch while eating the ziti from heaven. Angela buys some of the sketches from me.

"Cat! I knew it was you as soon as the ziti order came up! But who is this?" I turned towards Sierra, Angela's mom. She was the cook here, the maker of the heavenly ziti.

"Hi Si. This is Dade." Sierra shot me a look, then turned towards Angela who nodded. She looked back at me and I slightly shook my head. She smiled and held her hand out to Dade.

"Hi Dade, I am Sierra, and I own this little piece of heaven. This is my daughter Angela, whom you already met." Dade shook hands with her and smiled at her.

"Nice to meet you." She smiled before saying something about food and running off. Dade turned to me. And just stared.

"What?" His look was making me squirm.

"Why does everyone get this look on their face when you tell them who I am?" I blinked and smiled.

"I don't know. Maybe because the name Dade is so unusual?" I turned towards the window, my hand twitching.

"Why does you're hand keep twitching?" Dade said, laughing. I looked back at him. Why was he so damn observant?

"Because when I am here, I am normally sketching what I see out the window." He looked at me like I was lying.

"Angela, show Dade one of my sketches. He doesn't believe me." Angela just laughed and brought down her favorite. It was near the fountain, a little girl was sitting on the ledge crying while her puppy leaned against her, trying to comfort her. The little girl had gotten lost, but her mother found her sitting on the ledge of the fountain. Angela loved the picture, she said that it looked like an angel's child. Dade stared at the picture, his eyes popping out of his face.

"Damn. No, I don't believe it. You didn't draw this." I just chuckled, doodling on the napkin. Within seconds I had Dade's face on the napkin, eyes popping out and everything. I pushed the napkin towards him. He stared at it, shock written all over his face.

"Wow Cat, you're pretty good." He admitted. Our food came then and all conversation vanished. I made him try the ziti, which he tried. He fell in love with the heavenly ziti and kept trying to steal it off of my plate. Sierra saw this and brought out a small plate for him, free of charge. He blushed and thanked her for the ziti. She smiled and winked at me. We finished our food and I left a twenty dollar tip. Dade looked at me like I was insane.

"You will see." I walked to the counter and smiled at Angela.

"Nope. Mom says not to let you pay. Sorry."

"Come on Ang, I have to pay one of these times." Angela shook her head. I sighed and shook my head.

"Fine. Come on Dade, lets go." He followed me out of the restaurant. We made it a couple of feet when he heard laughter.

"Cat!!!" We turned and there was Sierra waving the money in the air. I blew her a kiss and continued walking away, watching her. She shook her head and threw her hands up in defeat. I laughed and turned around. Dade watched it all with wonder written on his face.

"You are so different here." I stopped when he said that. I forgot that this was where I was someone else. I turned towards him.

"If you tell anyone about this, I will kill you Sherman." He gulped. He opened his mouth to say something when he was cut off.

"That's him!!! That's the young man who did it! She must be with him." The old man who Dade ran into earlier came running up to us, followed by two police officers.

"Sir, we have to take you downtown for some questioning. You too Miss." The officer said. I was backing up when I bumped into someone. I whirled and there stood Ace. He looked at me and understanding dawned on me. I went to say something when I felt the cold metal encircle my wrists. I was shoved into the back of the cruiser next to Dade. I twisted in my seat and glared at Ace. He saluted me as the cruiser pulled away.

That Motherfucker!!
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long... writer's block.
Hate that. But I hope this Chapter makes up for my lateness.
:)