‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Brilliantly Evil Side

Madison

I flipped through Peyton’s contacts. I wasn’t really happy that Sara got an abortion, but I was. In a way, I had been worried about what would happen when she had the baby. If she didn’t give him or her up, then we’d be stuck with it every other weekend. I most certainly don’t want to be a teenage mother; even if I don’t have to become a rolly-pollie.

I absolutely detest my newest plan, but it was the best way to get at Peyton. If I’m nice to his friends, but not to him he’ll definitely crack. And, obviously, I have to have him feel worse than he made me feel. I finally found her number and pressed send, clearing my throat before I put the phone up to my ear. Dave looked at me hopefully; he was far too easy to win over. I was almost looking forward to the challenge of Sara.

She answered on the third ring which I thought was a desperate move. She just had an abortion and thinks its her baby daddy, I reminded myself. “Hello?” she asked hopefully and I turned away from Dave so I could roll my eyes openly. “Hey Sara. It’s Madison,” I said cheerfully. “Oh. What do you want?” she asked venomously, and I smiled. “Look, Peyton told me about what you did, and I thought maybe you’d want to come over for dinner,” I said convincingly.

“Dave’s here,” I added, as if that would make her want to come. I really didn’t know how I’d make her notice him more, but I was intrigued to start. “Uh, well. I’m with Chuck right now,” she replied slowly, and I knew he was telling her what to say. I got the feeling he didn’t trust me. “Then have him come too.” She couldn’t say no to that and she knew it; I had her cornered. “Yeah, we’ll be there in ten minutes,” she said, before hanging up immediately.

“She’s on her way,” I announced, turning to Dave and completely ignoring Peyton. His face lit up. “Should we do anything?” he asked, eager to start. “Of course not! She just got an abortion. Are you ill?” I asked incredulously, going back to the kitchen. I placed the pan away, tossing the now burnt grilled cheese in the garbage. I moved to the phone and ordered a pizza instead. I leaned against the counter and sighed before grabbing plates and setting them down on the island. I looked up at Peyton who sat down on a stool, smiling at me. I raised my eyebrow at him.

“Maybe you should go take a shower or something,” I suggested, smirking darkly at him. His face fell and he mumbled something incoherent before trudging up the stairs. I turned and leaned over the sink, my head hanging low. I felt really horrible about doing this to him. I knew helping his friends, and making peace with them was good, but for the intentions I was doing it was bad. I sighed heavily and rubbed my forehead. “You know something?” Dave said and I twirled around, surprised at how close his voice was.

I placed my hand over my racing heart and looked at him strangely. “No, what?” I replied, leaning back into the counter. He smiled at me. “You don’t want to be mean to Peyton at all,” Dave informed me, putting his elbows on the counter. “Oh really? And why do you think that?” I asked, slightly weirded out by the fact that he read my mind. “I can see it in your eyes. I don’t know why you act like you hate him when you don’t. He loves you, ya know,” he said, and I rolled my eyes even though my heart was beating up my throat.

“If he loved me so much, he wouldn’t have slept with Sara and not told me about it,” I said stubbornly, crossing my arms over my chest. He rolled his eyes. “She got him really drunk. He was shitfaced,” he told me and I was a little shocked. “Oh, well. He still should have told me,” I persisted and he sighed sitting back. I turned to wash the spatula I had used. That part I hadn’t known. She got him drunk and had sex with him? I didn’t understand why Peyton hadn’t told me that.Not like I would’ve believed him.

The doorbell rang and I raced Dave to answer it. He got there first but I butt bumped him out of the way. I wrenched the door open and saw Chuck and Sara standing on the mat, looking uncomfortable. “Yo,” I said, stepping aside so they could enter. They walked in and looked at the house, their eyes wide. “Tight crib,” Chuck said and I giggled, putting on my happy face. I hugged him and he hugged back tightly. I turned to Sara and looked at her sympathetically. I embraced her gently. It was awkward, but she patted my back in return.

“Where’s Peyt?” she asked immediately, no sign of hurt in her eyes. I scrunched up my nose in confusion. “Oh, he took a shower. He should be down soon,” I told her and she shrugged. Dave looked at me as if to say, “see-I-told-you.” I gave him a sympathetic look and leaned into him as we all walked into the living room. “We’ll change that,” I whispered and he nodded. I smiled and playfully punched his arm, before dropping down onto the couch next to Sara. “How are you?” I asked her and she shifted uncomfortably.

“I’m pretty good,” she answered, avoiding eye contact. There was something suspicious going on with this girl, and I was determined to figure out what it was. “Pretty good? I mean, didn’t you just…” I trailed off, glancing down at her stomach and then back to her eyes. Peyton bounced into the room then. She jumped up and wrapped her arms around him, sobbing into his shirt. “Can we just be alone for a minute?” she asked him, wiping her suddenly wet cheeks. “Yeah, be right back,” he said and led her outside.

“What the hell was that?” I asked, incredulously. Dave and Chuck shook their heads, seemingly as confused as I was. I could tell that Chuck knew something but I didn’t want to push too soon. The doorbell rang again and I rushed to get it. I took the two boxes and thanked the delivery guy, giving him the money. I set them down on the counter and let the guys take some while I glanced out the back door. Her makeup was still running down her face as she let Peyton hold onto her hand. I turned away as jealousy formed in the pit of my stomach. I had to get rid of these feelings.

I took a small slice of pizza and ate it slowly, mulling over the work I had gotten accomplished. I didn’t know how I was going to get Sara and Dave together. Seeing her with Peyton, it was clear she had intense feelings for him. The door opened and I got up to see who was here. I felt my face light up as my old dog trotted in, wagging his tail. “Bear!” I screeched, launching myself at him. My mom came through with his stuff, and I took them from her.

I set up his blanket and put his food away, squealing happily. “And look old man, you’ve got a big backyard,” I said to the chocolate lab, letting him out. “Hey Bear!” Peyton said, kneeling down to pet my animal. He looked up at me. “I didn’t know he was living with us,” he said, as he stood up straight, letting Bear explore the yard excitedly. “Oh, yeah. He is,” I said, and let myself admire his porcelain features. His ice blue eyes intrigued me to no end. They were the first feature that made me decide to trust him. “Uh, pizza’s here,” I said, and went back inside abruptly.

“Thanks mom. You didn’t have to come out tonight,” I said, and she waved her hand at me. “Nonsense. You should be as happy as possible. Now, be in school tomorrow,” she told me and I rolled my eyes. “Of course mother.” She kissed my forehead and left. “Ew, school,” I said, turning to the guys. Sara and Peyton came in, and she had a delighted smile on her face. “Why are you so happy?” Chuck asked. “No reason,” she sang, as she pulled a piece of pizza out of the box. I glanced at her skeptically.

They both ate silently, while Peyton looked at me with apologetic eyes. I didn’t know what was wrong with him. Obviously, I was being a huge bitch to him on purpose. Unless he was planning to retaliate. I hadn’t planned on that. “Okay, I’m done! Let’s go!” Sara yelled excitedly. We all looked at her confused. “Does someone care to explain?” I asked, leaning forward casually on the counter. Peyton looked at me anxiously and I turned to Sara. “Peyt’s taking me to the movies!” she exclaimed, clapping her hands gleefully.

I glared over at Peyton, letting it sink in how much I actually hated him. I saw Dave’s face fall and him slowly glaring over in Peyton’s direction too. I turned back to Sara. “Oh, that’s great!” I said, fake excitedly. I smiled at her. She looked taken aback by the fact that I was cheery. It was called acting. Indeed, I was raging on the inside. “Oh. Well, um. We better go then,” she said and led Peyton towards the door. “Bye guys,” they both said simultaneously. She giggled. The door slammed shut. “I think I’m going to be sick,” I said, holding my stomach. I mocked her giggle, and fake gagged.

The two boys exchanged a look. “What? What was that look for?” I asked, looking between the two of them. “You looooove him,” Chuck sang, and I rolled my eyes. “Shut up, I do not,” I huffed, fighting back the tears that stung my eyes. “Sure you don’t,” he said, pushing me. “No, I don’t,” I persisted, gritting my teeth. He looked at Dave. “I think I hit a weak spot,” he said lowly, “You’re just jealous that you aren’t Sara. You want him to love you back and take you to the movies.” I let a tear escape because I couldn’t hold it any longer. “See? I knew it. You’re just a pathetic little girl with her first unrequited love,” he said venomously and I gasped.

“Get the hell out of my house!” I screeched, pointing at the door. “I don’t know who talked to you, or why you changed but I do know that you’re an asshole now,” I said quietly, when he walked by. “Whatever. You don’t even deserve him,” he said and he walked out the door. “Don’t worry. I’ll think of something,” I said to Dave before bringing him to the door. Chuck walked over from Dave’s car.

He hugged me and I looked at him strangely. “I’m sorry Madi. I dunno what got into me,” he said, quickly apologizing. “It’s okay,” I said patting his back. “I have an idea!” Dave said perkily and we both looked at him. “Why don’t we follow them!” They both nodded and I looked at them skeptically. “Okay,” I agreed, sealing my fate. I knew it was a horrible idea and that I should just lay on my bed with Bear and watch movies. But I got in the car with them anyway, listening to their scary music on the way to the mall. This was probably a horrible idea.

Yet I was so excited for some new dirt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have I told you lately, that I love you?
Well, I do!
You guys are great readers. Always commenting and stuffs.
Comment please.