‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Shockingly Sudden Side

Peyton

The definition of hell was beginning to become clear for me now. Sara wouldn’t shut up about how happy she was I invited her to this movie. As if it was my idea. She practically begged for me to go with her. I’m not that much of an idiot. I’m married, for God’s sake. Here she was, being a home wrecker. Not like I should talk, I’m the one who impregnated her in the first place.

I rolled my eyes and pulled into a spot at the mall, outside the cinema. We walked in and I suavely maneuvered myself away from her, so she couldn’t hold my hand. This was slightly bad. I brushed my black hair out of my eyes. “So what movie are we going to see?” she asked her dark brown eyes wide. “Uh, I’m not sure yet,” I said, scratching my head. She nodded and walked in sync with me.

Secretly, I could pretend she was Madison. It would be hard, considering Madi didn’t have blonde hair with a pink streak in it. She probably wouldn’t leave the house in the old t-shirt Sara was wearing either. It was time to test out my imagination. For my sanity, I hoped it was the best.

I scanned the movie board, unsure of what to see. No horror movies, Sara would love to jump into my lap. No sad chick flicks, for obvious reasons. I shuddered slightly. Action, then. She’d be bored and never want to see a movie with me again. I automatically avoided comedy since that was her favorite. I decided quickly on 2012 since I actually wanted to see that one. The only downside was an hour wait. Oh well, it was worth it.

I got the tickets without even consulting her on it. She must realize by now that I don’t really want to be here. I put the tickets in my pocket and walked back to her. She linked arms with me. Obviously, she hasn’t gotten the hint. “Do you wanna get lunch or something?” I asked and she nodded. “Oh, yeah. Sure thing,” she answered. I directed us towards the food court.

“So, this is fun,” she said, and I nodded my head. All I really wanted to do was get this day over with and go back home; to Madison. I wanted to get back on her good side and prove to her that I loved her still. Usually, I liked hanging out with Sara. Today, she seemed so weird though. I didn’t know what was with her, though killing a baby could contribute to the problem.

“Wendy’s?” I asked, grinning sideways at her. She nodded and we got chicken nuggets, fries and Frosties. Like always. No matter when we came, or who it was, that was what we always got. I loved it. We sat near the window, staring out over the parking lot. I saw my car sitting there and pointed it out. “You’re so silly sometimes,” she said, laughing too loudly. I sighed rather pointedly. I stared out at the food court as she babbled about school and how much I’ve missed. There was a girl who looked like Madison at the other side and I squinted through my hair to see her.

“Are you listening?” Sara said, and she pulled my head to face her. There was a spark of annoyance. “Oh. Yeah, I’m listening. That Cara girl said hello to you,” I said, turning my head again but the look alike was gone. “It was really freakish. I thought that she was neurotic or something,” she said, waving her hands around. I munched on a fry. “Oh yeah. That Bryan kid said hello to me,” I said and her eyes went wide. “Do you remember how bad he used to pick on Chuck?” she asked and I nodded.

“Yeah, that was really bad. Didn’t he push him in a garbage can once?” I asked casually. Chuck had found that funny, his energetic personality made him very resilient. “Yeah, I think so,” she said, bobbing her head, “That was actually a bit funny.” I snorted. “I know. He was like flailing his legs and everything,” I said, chuckling at the memory. We were quiet for a while, lost in our own thoughts.

“How are things with Madison?” she asked suddenly. “Oh, um, they’re fine,” I replied, uncomfortable. “You should go to a lawyer or something. At least try to get rid of the bitch,” she said, and I looked at her incredulously. Was she really saying this to me? “Well, Madi isn’t that bad. She’s just a little upset,” I said, and she rolled her eyes. “Upset, my ass. She’s evil; pure evil. Like a disease, get rid of her as fast as you can,” she mocked, and I glared at her.

“That’s not nice. Madison’s been really nice to you lately,” I reminded her. She shrugged. “Once a bitchy whore, always a bitchy whore.” How could she say this? She was the one that got pregnant. I stood. “You know what Sara? I’m tired of this. You just crossed a line, okay? You ruined my life. I love Madison, love her. So you have to leave her alone,” I said loudly, slamming my fist on the cheap table. She sat there stunned that I would yell at her.

It happened so fast. One second, I was standing there watching Sara practically cry. The next, I was engulfed in a hug. I realized suddenly that it was Madison. I hugged her back tightly, enjoying the contact. “You stood up for me!” she cooed, and I laughed. “Yeah, I did. Why wouldn’t I?” I asked, slightly disappointed when she let go. “I dunno, I’ve been a major bitch lately,” she said, and I shook my head. “It’s my fault anyway,” I said, and she nodded.

“Yeah, it is. But we can work on that,” she said, turning towards Dave and Chuck who were coming up behind us. I got butterflies. Work on that? As in, try to rebuild what we used to have? Exciting. I watched her think, trying to come up with some idea as we stood there awkwardly. Sara was fuming, full out glaring at Madison and probably thinking of different ways to kill her. “Hand me the tickets,” Madi said, holding out her hand.

I took them out of my pocket and placed them in her hand, realizing they must have followed us. “Here you go, Sara,” she said, handing her a ticket. She turned to Chuck and Dave. “Here, Dave. Sorry Chuck,” she pouted. “Okay! Time for us to go. I’ll see you two, tomorrow!” she said, grabbing Chuck and I by our elbows and dragging us away. “Saved by the Madison!” she yelled, smiling at us. “What now?” I asked. “I have to go do something,” Chuck announced.

His eyes shifted. “Over there!” he exclaimed, pointing in the opposite direction of where we were going. He ran off, yelling about how he’d see us at school. “I think we were just deliberately left alone,” I said, walking in sync next to her. “Maybe that was my intention the whole time,” she said, raising her eyebrow. I smirked. “Maybe. But I don’t think so,” I said, and she laughed. It was a melodic sound, making my ears believe themselves to have died and be in the presence of angels.

Yes, my imagination works very well. “Do you want to just go home?” she asked and I nodded. “Yeah, before we meet up with Dave and Sara. We already know our luck,” I said, and she laughed again just like I intended. We walked out the doors and got into the car. I switched cd’s since I knew she wouldn’t like what was in there. “Hot Mess?” I asked, pulling the small plastic case out of my middle console. “Yes!” she yelled, grabbing it out of my hands and putting it in. Ah, the love of Cobra Starship.

We were silently listening to the cd when we pulled into the driveway up to our house. She jumped out quickly, not bothering to wait for me. She let herself into the house and I followed her towards the kitchen. “Food, food, food,” she said and I laughed. “Why?” I asked, happy at her open mood. “I’m freaking starving,” she said, pulling out mashed potatoes and gravy. “Want some?” she asked, boiling water. “Nah, I’m good. Thanks,” I said, sitting on a stool. She made her food while singing a song quietly.

It was amazing how she had just become so warm with me. She was so mad at me for so long, I thought it would be forever until she was nice. She leaned against the counter and ate. “School tomorrow,” she reminded and I nodded. “Unfortunately.” She smiled and dropped the bowl in the sink. “Ew, I should go to bed. I’ve been getting, like zero hours of sleep lately,” she said and I nodded. “Yeah, same here.” We followed each other up the stairs and she turned on the tv. Making her way to the closet, she chose an outfit for the next day and locked herself in.

When she came back out she was in pajamas and went towards the bathroom. I changed quickly and sat on the bed watching tv. She came out then, and I kept my gaze on the mindless sitcom. “Hey Peyt?” she said nervously. “Mmhmm,” I replied, not really knowing where this was heading. “If you want, you can sleep in here tonight,” she suggested. I turned and raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure?” I asked and she nodded, biting her lip.

“Okay then. I’m pretty sure are parents cheaped out on that mattress,” I joked, trying to lighten the mood. She laughed. “Yeah, sorry about that.” She pulled the covers on her side back and got in gently. I watched as she sent out her goodnight texts. Every night she always sent them to Jen, Will, and Katelyn. I thought it was cute. My friends thought I was going soft. I got in next to her, feeling euphoric. She switched on the nightly news and the droning news anchor already had me falling asleep.

“The light is still on,” she said, pointing at the light switch by the door. “You get it,” I said, feeling too lazy and too comfortable. “Rock, paper, scissor?” she asked casually. “Okay,” I agreed. She gave scissor, I gave rock. “Ha! Turn off the light!” I yelled playfully. She scoffed and got up, clicking the switch. “Fine, but you have to tomorrow,” she said, subtly hinting that I would be here again. “Deal.”

It was difficult for me to fall asleep. I was really happy to be finally communicating in a nice way with Madison. I was also dreading school. I’d have to see Sara. Dave would probably yell at me for being mean to her. I sighed, frustrated. At least Madi was being happy with me again. I didn’t understand why though. How could some one possibly just change their mind so suddenly?
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been a while, yes.
I'm very sorry.
I stayed up late just for you lovelies though.
And yes, I ate mashed potatoes.

Comment? Please?